> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Wyverex's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 17 2016, 09:20 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Congrats on your hard work!

Based on your submits these are your results:

TASK 1: 3 coins

TASK 2: 4 coins

TOTAL: 7/10 coins.

I've already commented your take at REC which is really good. The improvisation is a good first step into this phrasing direction. There is still more work to do, but practice is the key. We'll continue working on improvisation tools in order to make your improvisation more expressive and rich.

Well, as you are going on vacation, I'll give you the next assignment as soon as you get back. Please write here when you are ready again.

Have a great time!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Wyverex
Sep 25 2016, 04:04 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hey Gabriel!

I'll be back from my vacation tomorrow. Had a great time hiking through the forest but I missed my guitar wink.gif
Looking forward to the next assignment smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 26 2016, 03:05 PM
Instructor
ASSIGNMENT #4:

Goals:

- Rhythm Practice
- Bending technique

TASK 1:

- Work on this lesson: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Power_Chords_Workout/

TASK 2:

- Get into this amazing lesson: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Beginn...ending-Workout/
- Improvise over the backing of the bending workout.

Exam and deadline:

By October 17th you'll have to share 2 videos:

- A video playing the rhythm lesson (4 coins)
- A video playing the bending workout (3 coins)
- A video improvising over the backing track (3 coins)

Each of this videos will be evaluated (check the coins value below). You need to get at least 7 coins to pass. If you pass, we can continue, if you don't you will have a second "call" that would be the last one.

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Sep 28 2016, 01:47 AM

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Wyverex
Sep 26 2016, 05:23 PM
Cool, I'll get on it right away cool.gif

I guess you meant October 17th as the deadline though. Otherwise I'd have to be REALLY fast now biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 28 2016, 01:48 AM
Instructor
hahaha back to the future.

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Sep 28 2016, 01:48 AM

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Wyverex
Sep 28 2016, 12:18 PM
Just to let you know, I submitted a Sunday Shred Fest video yesterday and thought you might be interested because a good part of your assignments is about improvisation, too. Do you generally want to give feedback on those as well or do you leave that part to Todd and just want me to post your assignment videos here?

Also, I started Todd's Shred Journey. I will try to incorporate this into my daily routine but your assignments will still have higher priority. Deadlines are deadlines biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 29 2016, 02:42 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, that sounds great. Feel free to share here any video you want and I'll check it and comment if I find any relevant issue to pay attention or fix.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Wyverex
Sep 29 2016, 03:22 PM
Ok cool, then please have a look smile.gif

While I think that this is my best impro so far, something about it still screams "Beginner" in my face and I can't quite put my finger on whether it is string noise, timing or something else.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 30 2016, 08:05 PM
Instructor
Great job man! That's a really cool improvisation. Your phrases are tasty and your tone very good for this backing.

I can get what you feel and I think that it's related to expressing details.

- Your vibrato is not totally consistent. There is a lot of room to make it sound more "professional"
- There are some timing issues, or maybe we could say that your take could have more groove.
- Use more dynamics.
- Use slides, harmonics and other tools to enrich your take.

These are not things that you'll fix in one day, but this is the direction that you need to go in order to make your solo sound more "professional". Some inspiration:

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Wyverex
Sep 30 2016, 08:28 PM
I see what you mean, thanks! I try to keep that in mind for my next takes.

And I could listen to Andy Timmons all day wub.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 2 2016, 10:45 PM
Instructor
He is awesome. Check also Nick Johnston's new album.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Wyverex
Oct 4 2016, 09:55 PM
Thank you for the tip with Nick Johnston. Didn't know him before but he's really awesome! I especially like that he has many melody fragments where I had the impression that I heard them before (or could immediately predict the next notes) but he uses them very skillfully. And that tone... ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 5 2016, 08:50 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Wyverex @ Oct 4 2016, 05:55 PM) *
Thank you for the tip with Nick Johnston. Didn't know him before but he's really awesome! I especially like that he has many melody fragments where I had the impression that I heard them before (or could immediately predict the next notes) but he uses them very skillfully. And that tone... ohmy.gif

That's an interesting comment about Nick's compositions and phrases. I also think that his phrases are melodies that I already know, but at the same time, I find the fresh.. that's very interesting.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Wyverex
Oct 9 2016, 01:29 PM
Hey Gabe,

there's been a lot going on lately. First of all, we traditionally have a small band in our company that plays a small cover concert at each year's christmas party. This year we are going to play again and that means a lot of rehearsal until December. Normally I play bass there but this year I'll try to sneak in some guitar as well cool.gif
The downside is that practicing for that gig will take away a lot of my normal guitar practice time.

Also I've been rethinking my practice approach. I have the feeling that I don't spend enough time learning new shapes, techniques etc. slow enough to really get them into my muscle memory. I get impatient and rush into playing faster than my ability allows, thus adding a lot of small mistakes that show all the time. And I want to change that. Therefore I'm trying some approach that is losely related to the one in the book "Effortless Mastery". I think I read somewhere here that you like that book as well, so you will know what I'm talking about. smile.gif I read the book about a year ago but I never really applied the concepts to my playing. Some days ago, I started doing this with a small part of the current assignment and it seems to work really well so far.

So what this all boils down to is that I won't make the deadline. More than that, I can't have any deadline sitting in my neck at the moment. I want to have the time that I need to explore this practice approach and find my own way. Ideally I'd like to continue with the current assignment but only share it when I feel that it's good enough. I don't know the exact reason why you have deadlines in the first place but if that is to "motivate" students to stay on task then I can assure you that I don't need any deadlines because my motivation was never higher than during the last months smile.gif

So, do you think we can continue working that way? Meaning, I'll do the assignments but take the time I think I need? If that's not acceptable to you then I think I would have to respectfully resign from the mentoring program (at least until the end of the year) because I feel very strongly that I need to do this now. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 10 2016, 02:30 PM
Instructor
Hi mate,

thanks for the honestly! That book is at my top 3 of music and even life books ever. So I really can see what you mean and I'm completely with you in this decision.

After more than 8 years of work at GMC, and 14 years giving private classes, I can confirm two things that are quite obvious but that justify the reason why I add deadlines.

The first one is that every person is different so each student and guitarist is a different world and needs different approaches to what I consider the main goal: Keeping motivation. That's why, if you check my personal board you'll see that I treat differently to each student. I try to have a template to make things more organised, but on the way, things start to get a specific shape for each student.

And the second, why do I get deadlines if I love "Effortless Mastery"? The reason why is that I've noted that MANY students need a reference date that makes them work harder. They need a "destination" in order to keep diary motivation and keep practising. Deadlines make us work every day, and help them to have balances and see how much they progress.

However, there are some students who don't like deadlines because they feel stressed or that don't need deadlines because they can keep motivation without them. As you are one of this later ones, we can continue in your own way. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Wyverex
Oct 10 2016, 03:02 PM
Thank you! I feel relieved about this smile.gif

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 10 2016, 01:30 PM) *
And the second, why do I get deadlines if I love "Effortless Mastery"? The reason why is that I've noted that MANY students need a reference date that makes them work harder. They need a "destination" in order to keep diary motivation and keep practising. Deadlines make us work every day, and help them to have balances and see how much they progress.

However, there are some students who don't like deadlines because they feel stressed or that don't need deadlines because they can keep motivation without them. As you are one of this later ones, we can continue in your own way. smile.gif

I completely agree. Before I joined GMC, having deadlines would probably have improved my practice schedule a lot already.

But in the 15 years that I've made music now, I've never been as motivated as I am now. I can't even tell how it started, suddenly it was "just there". Joining GMC was without question a big factor in that. And since then I would love to keep playing guitar all day and not even go to work anymore biggrin.gif Before, I would come home and play video games or something and now I can't wait to play guitar. It's a bit weird somehow, but I'm thankful at the same time because I know that now it's only a matter of time and perseverance to get where I want to be. smile.gif

Now concerning the current assignment, I'm much farther with the rhythm lesson and will probably post a REC of that first (although that will still take some time, of course). I have one question about that. There are some deadnotes in the fourth bar. I've tried to play them as real deadnotes and not palm mute them (which was a bit hard at first) and I've noticed that it's hard to play them getting a "chunky" feel. I very often seem to hit some harmonics there. It's basically hit or miss, even when playing very slowly. Looking closely at Jerry's hand, you can see that during the slow replay he actually places more fingers on the strings (probably to remove harmonics) but when playing fast he doesn't do that anymore. Even with the additional fingers it feels like I have to move my hand near the 4th or 5th fret to mute all harmonics which will probably too slow at higher BPM.
So is it a matter of amp/gain settings or is there some secret muting technique I don't know about? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 11 2016, 07:17 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, that sounds great! That's also what I feel. I can't wait until I get my guitar in my hands for playing.. It's my biggest passion and it's really cool to know other guys that feel the same. Enjoy the journey! smile.gif

About the rhythm question, from what I can see in this lesson, the technique used for muting is palm muting. I don't think that you'd get harmonics if you use palm muting.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Wyverex
Oct 18 2016, 08:21 PM
Hey Gabe,

just wanted to give you a short update on my progress. The rhythm lesson is coming along very well. I had sort of an epiphany two days ago when the first section suddenly became very groovy and I could play it at 100% speed more confidently than any other new thing I've worked on during the last months smile.gif It seems my new approach is really paying off. I just need to be patient. It's done when it's done. I'm very happy smile.gif That being said, I hope I will post a REC in the next two weeks.

The bending lesson has improved as well but I still have far to go. I'm thinking about installing a tremolo stabilizer to make it easier playing the double stop bends with correct pitch since Darius also suggested this to me.

Do you have experience with the Göldo BackBox or the ESP Arming Adjuster?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 20 2016, 01:48 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, thanks for the update. I'm glad to know that you are noting progress and that the new approach is working! smile.gif

I have no experience with those things, but I recommend you to start a thread at the gear section to ask other GMCers.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Wyverex
Oct 27 2016, 09:26 PM
Ok, finally I have something to show smile.gif
This is a work in progress take. I guess I could already post it in REC but I still notice various timing issues (I think I'm rushing again) and I'm sure you'll spot a lot more than that biggrin.gif

I've used another guitar this time because it has a fixed bridge and gives less trouble when tuning down. But I also immediately noticed that the bridge pickup of my AT10P is a lot tighter than this one. So the sound is a bit mushy in comparison dry.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:46 PM