> Compressor Use
tflava
post Aug 15 2016, 03:03 PM
Post #1

Learning Tone Seeker

Group: Members
Member No.: 18.421

Hello guys.

I have a compressor nut don't know where to use it.
On my effectboard i have a reverb, delay, multi modulation, overdrive, distortion, and a wah wah.

I don't know how to use my compressor while a lot of People say that its important to use.

Greetz tim
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
post Aug 15 2016, 10:12 PM
Post #2

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 2

The most obvious use for it, is for clean sounds.

It can help you get a tight clean rhythm sound, give you arpeggiated chords more sustain, and also help your clean lead sound get juicier and "easier" to solo with.

It's been a while since I used analog pedals - but for clean sounds placement in the chain should not be that important. I think in the beginning of your chain (right after the guitar) should be fine.

If you want to use it with your overdrive/distortion pedals (distortion is a kind of compression btw), I think the most common placement is after them. However for distorted legato runs it can also be cool to have a compressor before the gain stages - as this will help "fix" problems with uneven playing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Aug 15 2016, 11:04 PM
Post #3

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 18.294

Many can live without a compressor, its not essential to be honest but it can help make things easier.

Maybe it can be said a compressor does what you can't do with a pick. You can get that extra/alternate slap on a clean sounded amp or any behavior you'd expect to hear from your guitar. Compressor can be a bit tricky when learning as its not like many fx on how you approach so give it time.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd August 2017 - 12:18 PM