Todd Simpson
post Aug 26 2016, 10:27 AM
Post #1

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

Nice smile.gif

so many bands wish they where this band and try to sound just like them. I wish they would all stop sad.gif It doesn't push the scene or the music forward at all and it could use a bit of that to be honest. Meshuggah will always be themselves IMHO. Having watered down versions is just pointless. Also, it irritates music critics to no end the second they here that classic chunky rythm synced perfectly to the kick drums. They just stop listening. If you don't believe me, ask one. Any one of them. They turn off right away. So if you want a decent review on anything you release for more than yourself and some friends, try to stay away from that . I fell victim to it myself, even though I meant only respect. Still, time to find new bits smile.gif

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
post Aug 26 2016, 12:39 PM
Post #2

Learning Rock Star

Group: Members
Member No.: 5.298

I could never get into Meshuggah. Mainly due to the vocals I think. I see that the whole djent scene has taken A LOT from Meshuggah, but I still think some of the bands in that scene has a different melodic sense to them, whereas Meshuggah for me at least is mainly a rythmic band.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Aug 26 2016, 01:50 PM
Post #3

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 1.289

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Aug 26 2016, 08:39 AM) *
I could never get into Meshuggah. Mainly due to the vocals I think. I see that the whole djent scene has taken A LOT from Meshuggah, but I still think some of the bands in that scene has a different melodic sense to them, whereas Meshuggah for me at least is mainly a rythmic band.

The track sounds very good however something similar happens to me... I don't get captured by them, I get bored very soon. Maybe I'm not ready yet for this band.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Aug 27 2016, 11:07 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Their particular brand of Metal is almost like "Trance" or "House" music IMHO, but with screaming and guitars tightly connected to the kick drum. It has that long, repetitive, trance like vibe, but in a Metal Context. Doom Metal relies on this sort of thing as well, but does so with far less precision and more sludge. I still like the band smile.gif But only for what it is that they do best. Rythmic experimentation. I do with they would learn to blend a pinch more melody throughout to make songs a bit more distinct from each other and more memorable, but then it wouldn't be them anymore. It would be Periphery smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rammikin
post Aug 28 2016, 02:09 AM
Post #5

Experienced Rock Star

Member No.: 11.529

I've read criticisms of bands like Tesseract and Periphery, accusing them of copying Meshuggah. I don't know if those are examples of the bands you're referring to, but I don't hear it. They sound unique and distinctive to me. It's a pretty sophisticated genre, with a lot of room for self-expression, so I'm surprised critics are so quick to accuse these bands of copying.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
post Aug 29 2016, 02:20 PM
Post #6

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 17.069

I have similar feelings but I remember they being one of just few bands I was tolerating that kind of vocals. There is one specific album I prefer - it's the catch 33 because of it's consistency - a feeling you are digged in one huge song through all the album.

As for the vocals again...I prefer this, than a modern "growl on verse, disco-girl singing on chorus" approach, that is so popular these days.

This post has been edited by Darius Wave: Aug 29 2016, 02:22 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Aug 29 2016, 04:05 PM
Post #7

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 1.289

I enjoy artists that come from Djent, and from what I've read, Meshuggah are like the creators and pioneers of this style and that's not a small thing. It's totally awesome to be a band that influenced lots of artist to create great music.

Some of the music that I enjoy and that are usually shared in Djent forums, even not sounding close to Messugah are:

- Plini
- Intervals
- Sean Ashe
- Chon
- Peryphery
- Angel Vivaldi

Those are some of my favourites. All of them have a lot of melody and include influences from DT, as well as fusion jazz rock.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Aug 30 2016, 07:01 AM
Post #8

Group Icon

It's one element in particular that sticks out to " Music Journalists". Pretty much, the kick drum synched up to the chunking guitar/bass. Usually on an open string in an odd time format. Many music journalists here anything close to that and they just tune out. They quick listening.

The problem came out of the easy of creating music at home IMHO. Now that we all have perfect drummers (Ez Drummer Etc.) and many Metal folks digging that kind of sound, you get wads of folks doing variations of the song BLEED by Meshuggah. Using that type of lick. That's pretty much it. I'd agree that the genre has enough room for variability in it to be sure. It's the music journalism that seems to be lumping them all together as soon as they hear the synched kick/guitar chunk. Don't be to suprised that many of them hear this and just skip to the next band. They have just heard to much of it. They are way burned out on it. To get better music press, bands along this genre might try avoiding this type of technique entirely. Just for a while at least smile.gif

QUOTE (Rammikin @ Aug 27 2016, 09:09 PM) *
I've read criticisms of bands like Tesseract and Periphery, accusing them of copying Meshuggah. I don't know if those are examples of the bands you're referring to, but I don't hear it. They sound unique and distinctive to me. It's a pretty sophisticated genre, with a lot of room for self-expression, so I'm surprised critics are so quick to accuse these bands of copying.

Great bands smile.gif Many music journalists lump PERIPHERY in with MESHUGGAH all the time for the reasons I mentioned above. Even though they have very distinct differences that musicians can easily hear. Sadly, there are many music journalists that are frustrated musicians and wanted to play but never did, or tried and just are not that good. As a result, they just don't have the same ear. Thus, you get all these bands called "Meshuggah clones" by much of the music press.

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Aug 29 2016, 11:05 AM) *
I enjoy artists that come from Djent, and from what I've read, Meshuggah are like the creators and pioneers of this style and that's not a small thing. It's totally awesome to be a band that influenced lots of artist to create great music.

Some of the music that I enjoy and that are usually shared in Djent forums, even not sounding close to Messugah are:

- Plini
- Intervals
- Sean Ashe
- Chon
- Peryphery
- Angel Vivaldi

Those are some of my favourites. All of them have a lot of melody and include influences from DT, as well as fusion jazz rock.

AH YES!!! The "Beuty and the Beat" vocal technique largely (though not always deservingly) accredited to Norwegian band "Theatre of Tragedy". Wads of bands followed suit and now it's a "Thing". It goes so far up the food chain that even bands like Epica are guilty of it. It's just become about as wide spread as the Meshuggah synched bass/guitar chunk.

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Aug 29 2016, 09:20 AM) *
I have similar feelings but I remember they being one of just few bands I was tolerating that kind of vocals. There is one specific album I prefer - it's the catch 33 because of it's consistency - a feeling you are digged in one huge song through all the album.

As for the vocals again...I prefer this, than a modern "growl on verse, disco-girl singing on chorus" approach, that is so popular these days.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 30 2016, 07:04 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stenchovdeth
post Sep 20 2016, 09:34 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 22.076

--------------------

HUMANITY IS TEMPORARY || STRUGGLE IS FOREVER

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Sep 21 2016, 03:30 AM
Post #10

Group Icon

Thats the first 360 degre lyric video I've seen. Pretty spiff smile.gif We have a guy here at GMC who does killer 3d fractal work ( RAMMIKIN) and I wonder if he could make a 360 vid like this. I was thinking he could make some killer lyric video backgrounds.

QUOTE (Stenchovdeth @ Sep 20 2016, 04:34 AM) *

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stenchovdeth
post Sep 21 2016, 01:47 PM
Post #11

Yeah, that was the first that I've seen also. I checked out a few of RAMMIKIN's video's and I agree with one of the previous comments about selling or doing freelance work because they are just epic. VAKRATUNDA is just well EPIC!
I cannot wait for the new Meshuggah Album to drop. cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stenchovdeth
post Oct 7 2016, 10:38 PM
Post #12

Another tasty piece from Meshuggah.
Love the video! Looks like something Rammikin would make.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Oct 8 2016, 01:06 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

I'm diggin it! It's not everyone's thing here @ GMC to be sure, but it's sure my thing smile.gif I see what you mean about the Rammikin vid!! He could have done it himself!

Todd

QUOTE (Stenchovdeth @ Oct 7 2016, 05:38 PM) *
Another tasty piece from Meshuggah.
Love the video! Looks like something Rammikin would make.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th August 2017 - 05:54 PM