Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Strange Hiss
Phil66
post Sep 20 2016, 07:17 AM
Post #41

Learning Apprentice Player

Group: Members
Member No.: 19.975

The one I'm using now is a Radial Twin City, much much better than the one that gave me issues. It might be worth looking at that though. Because it "cured" my issue. Maybe if I had had the Laney at the time it wouldn't have cured it.

Good thinking Mertay mate wink.gif

UPDATE :
I just remembered, I did a test with everything removed from the loop so it was just the amp and the GT100. So the Twin City isn't to blame wink.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Sep 21 2016, 08:25 AM

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Sep 20 2016, 10:38 AM
Post #42

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 18.294

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 20 2016, 06:17 AM) *

Might be worth to try it somehow between the processor and amp,like guitar-processor-radial-laney? just to test if there's a mismatch electrically and the radial can balance it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Sep 20 2016, 11:02 AM
Post #43

Ahh, worth a try. I Packed it up last night to take to the shop today and walked out of the house without it laugh.gif I can't get there until Friday now so I should get chance to try that.

Cheers buddy

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Sep 20 2016, 11:12 AM
Post #44

Group Icon

hehehe might bring good luck? biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Sep 21 2016, 03:36 AM
Post #45

Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

It sounds like it has nothing to do with the amps. So it probably was nothing to do with the laney or peavey. If the processor is doing this all by itself, then it's probably either the processor or one of your cables. The only way to test that is to use the processor by itself and use a new cable (one that you just bought and have never used before) to connect your guitar to the processor and a new pair of headphones that you have never tried before. If you still here this artifact, then it's something with the unit itself. Keep in mind that it could simply be the patch you are on. The way to figure that out is to turn off things in the patch one by one.

Just like with all of this, it's pretty much, sit down, take the time to trace the problem by eliminating things. I wish there was a magic wand where someone could just say, "HEY CLICK THE RED BUTTON AND THE NOISE WILL STOP!!" smile.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 19 2016, 03:50 PM) *
It just says "Warranty repair back / adjusted operating / test ok / 532 / LS 28199"

On another note, that hiss thing with the Laney, I have heard it tonight through my GT-001, no amp hook up but a high gain software amp and very very quiet. I had the guitar in my lap and was using the keyboard, when my arms brushed the strings it was there, I could hear the interference sound but if I pluck the string as I normally would the sound of the string overpowered the interference. Nowhere near as bad as with the Laney, light years away in fact but there all the same.

Cheers

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Sep 21 2016, 08:36 AM
Post #46

Thanks Todd,
1/ I had the bad interference with the GT100 on a patch of mine called "no fx" so basically nothing is on in the patch, not even a pre amp. Switch to tuner in bypass mode and it goes away.

2/ The other night I heard exactly the same with a fairly gainy patch using my GT001, it was nowhere near as bad, in fact you had to listen hard to hear it but, it was there all the same. At this point the Laney was in its gig bag destined for a new home.

This to me is pointing at mains, my mains are weird. My luthier friend put some new pickups on one of my guitars once and when I got it home the hum was unusable. In the shop it was fine
I took my guitar, amp, cables to the shop, no hum. We wired it up the Seymour Duncan way (it's a Les Paul epi) and the hum went. So it must be mains related and the GT100/Laney combination is emphasising it. Unless I'm way off the mark.

Cheers

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Sep 21 2016, 01:05 PM
Post #47

Group Icon

At least that's progress smile.gif Could well be the mains. If your pickups are not sheilded enough, or the mains are not sheilded enough, or you get your guitar to close to a flat screen monitor, any of these can crazy bits of hum.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 21 2016, 03:36 AM) *
Thanks Todd,
1/ I had the bad interference with the GT100 on a patch of mine called "no fx" so basically nothing is on in the patch, not even a pre amp. Switch to tuner in bypass mode and it goes away.

2/ The other night I heard exactly the same with a fairly gainy patch using my GT001, it was nowhere near as bad, in fact you had to listen hard to hear it but, it was there all the same. At this point the Laney was in its gig bag destined for a new home.

This to me is pointing at mains, my mains are weird. My luthier friend put some new pickups on one of my guitars once and when I got it home the hum was unusable. In the shop it was fine
I took my guitar, amp, cables to the shop, no hum. We wired it up the Seymour Duncan way (it's a Les Paul epi) and the hum went. So it must be mains related and the GT100/Laney combination is emphasising it. Unless I'm way off the mark.

Cheers

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Sep 21 2016, 09:14 PM
Post #48

Wooohoooooo it's back, here is the Peavey on the exact same settings as I had the Laney. No hard feelings with the Laney, my mains are weird. Here is the Peavey, with my HSH Strat going through a hint of Hotbird, into the GT-100 on the "NoFX" patch, lead channel, gain turned up to 10 with no boost.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/pure-amp

Now I know about the interference issue, I can, if I listen very hard, hear it with the Peavey, but that's only if you tap the guitar to get the string vibrating without making a sound so it doesn't really matter wink.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Sep 21 2016, 09:23 PM

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Sep 21 2016, 09:23 PM
Post #49

Group Icon

It just sounds great! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Sep 21 2016, 09:26 PM
Post #50

Thanks Mertay,

Post above is edited. That was with no FX at all, just a bit of Analogue drive from the Hotbird, and I mean a tiny bit. If it had numbers it would be on 2, Vintage style, Mid Edge all teh way down, amber clipping, bass response off, tone 3/4 up.

So happy it's back, I will stick with it now. Well, until something new takes my eye smile.gif

Got my eye on a Telecaster at the moment wink.gif

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Sep 22 2016, 12:03 AM
Post #51

Group Icon

Glad to hear your rig is happy again smile.gif Strats are a bit notorious for their hum. The humbucker shouldn't hum much though. But the single coils are usually culprits. Either way glad it's back to normal smile.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 21 2016, 04:26 PM) *
Thanks Mertay,

Post above is edited. That was with no FX at all, just a bit of Analogue drive from the Hotbird, and I mean a tiny bit. If it had numbers it would be on 2, Vintage style, Mid Edge all teh way down, amber clipping, bass response off, tone 3/4 up.

So happy it's back, I will stick with it now. Well, until something new takes my eye smile.gif

Got my eye on a Telecaster at the moment wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Sep 23 2016, 09:09 PM
Post #52

Peavey is bad again.

T1 EL84 light is going red after a few minutes rhythm playing with gain on 5 and master volume on 7, not good. mad.gif

Also, I've just had BOTH lights go red when I stop playing and go back to green with a tinge of red when I play, stop again and both red, play again and both green with a tinge of red.

I'm seriously considering getting rid of the amp altogether and going for an Eleven Rack or something similar.

Not happy mad.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Sep 23 2016, 09:19 PM

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Sep 23 2016, 09:26 PM
Post #53

Group Icon

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 23 2016, 08:09 PM) *
Peavey is bad again.

T1 EL84 light is going red after a few minutes rhythm playing with gain on 5 and master volume on 7, not good. mad.gif

Also, I've just had BOTH lights go red when I stop playing and go back to green with a tinge of red when I play, stop again and both red, play again and both green with a tinge of red.

I'm seriously considering getting rid of the amp altogether and going for an Eleven Rack or something similar.

Not happy mad.gif

what? mad.gif that sucks, such a nice sound then this sad.gif

is there a change in sound? maybe only the warning mechanism is doing stupid stuff, call the tech that serviced it maybe it might help.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Sep 23 2016, 10:19 PM
Post #54

Group Icon

As a HUGE Eleven Rack Fan, I'd say, YES!!! GET THE 11!!! smile.gif You can run the 11 directly in to your monitors (that's what I do) or run it to a power amp or your peavey on clean channel, then to your cabinet, then mic, then recording interface, then monitors. So I just cut all that out and run straight to my monitors wink.gif

The 11 racks are going for under $300 now which is just a crazy cheap price IMHO as they started up at $1,500 or something crazy. It's not overly complex either, just a handful of amps, and fx. a few delays, few chorus, etc. Not like my line 6 with 320 different chorus modules which seems needlessly complex.

Anyhoo, I dig the fx loop for adding a tube gain stage. I have my myasnikov hand built tube preamp (it's a soldano clone) in the fx loop and it's very handy as you can turn off the fx loop with any midi pedal. It's the only unit I've tried that sounds good with a gain stage in the fx loop.

Here is a demo recorded direct via usb. I have the soldano clone in the loop, here is a low and high gain demo.

QUOTE (Mertay @ Sep 23 2016, 04:26 PM) *

is there a change in sound? maybe only the warning mechanism is doing stupid stuff, call the tech that serviced it maybe it might help.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Sep 23 2016, 10:35 PM
Post #55

QUOTE (Mertay @ Sep 23 2016, 08:26 PM) *

It goes quiet and muddy like the treble has been turned down along with the volume. mad.gif

The valve is definitely failing mad.gif

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Sep 23 2016, 10:51 PM
Post #56

Group Icon

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 23 2016, 09:19 PM) *

Even though he has boss processors and soundcard? for stricktly fx (or protools) can be but as preamp I'm not sure if its a step up for him.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 23 2016, 09:35 PM) *
It goes quiet and muddy like the treble has been turned down along with the volume. mad.gif

The valve is definitely failing mad.gif

I can only suggest sending it back for repair again. What a bummer the Laney now this mad.gif

This post has been edited by Mertay: Sep 23 2016, 10:51 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Sep 26 2016, 07:15 PM
Post #57

The Laney Posse said it's due to the complex signal path in the GT100 and the IRT unsure.gif

It's out for sale now so it is all academic but it may interest some of you wink.gif

http://www.laney-posse.co.uk/theposse/view...?f=1&t=7548

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Sep 26 2016, 07:30 PM
Post #58

Group Icon

doesn't explain much but hint our suspecion on an impedance imbalance between the units. Did you try to connect the radial between them by the way? also any situation change with the peavey?

This post has been edited by Mertay: Sep 26 2016, 07:31 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Sep 26 2016, 07:43 PM
Post #59

I did try to just have the Radial yes, but only in 4CM.

The Peavey is mad blink.gif Sometimes the lights are flickering faintly red but when I stop playing BOTH of them go red as though in standby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Sep 26 2016, 08:18 PM
Post #60

Group Icon

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 26 2016, 06:43 PM) *
I did try to just have the Radial yes, but only in 4CM.

The Peavey is mad blink.gif Sometimes the lights are flickering faintly red but when I stop playing BOTH of them go red as though in standby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers

Phil

hmmmm...I'd suggest sending the Peavey again with a detailed description of your experience, probably it didn't act so crazy when the tech tried it so he might have missed something.

Also till then it would be best not to use it as a permanent damage can happen cause we don't know the exact problem right now and it might get worse.

Sticking with the boss patches for now seems best to continue your lessons with gab. , if the situation of the Peavey can't be solved we'll discuss again

--------------------

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2017 - 09:08 AM