Mertay
post Sep 9 2016, 11:01 PM
Post #1

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 18.294

I'm sure many noticed, no headphone outs ohmy.gif

So as I understand, now the headphones (earphones?) must have DA converter, amp, bluetooth (?) receiver, cell and the speaker inside it...to squeeze all that everything must be tiny and light; Lack of sound quality mad.gif

Its also stupid expensive, not only the headphones themselves but the future products that will follow like i-rig for guitar players. I hope this marketing approach fails mad.gif

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Sep 9 2016, 11:13 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

They are going to give an adapter with each phone so you can use your current headphones. You have to buy another adapter evidently if you want to charge it while using your wired headphones. Thy are trying to move everyone to their new bluetooth headphones sad.gif They look pretty easy to lose track of though sad.gif Sound quality is the same though in terms of "wired output" of course, blutooth has it's own limitations.

The only thing they changed was something sort of annoying which I thought was kinda lame sad.gif Instead of something new, they just said "Hey guys you gotta buy all new adapters and stuff!"".

Todd

QUOTE (Mertay @ Sep 9 2016, 06:01 PM) *
I'm sure many noticed, no headphone outs ohmy.gif

So as I understand, now the headphones (earphones?) must have DA converter, amp, bluetooth (?) receiver, cell and the speaker inside it...to squeeze all that everything must be tiny and light; Lack of sound quality mad.gif

Its also stupid expensive, not only the headphones themselves but the future products that will follow like i-rig for guitar players. I hope this marketing approach fails mad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rammikin
post Sep 10 2016, 12:29 AM
Post #3

Experienced Rock Star

Group: Members
Member No.: 11.529

1) The first time I would get on a plane with an iphone 7, I'd look around and realize I forgot the adapter, so I'd be stuck and can't charge and listen to my headphones at the same time.

2) If I got the $160 bluetooth headphones, the first time I'd wear them outside I'm sure one would come out and fall down a drain. As somebody else observed, this is like making a tampon that has no string.

3) You can't plug your guitar into an interface like an Apogee Jam interface and listen on lightning headphones at the same time. It's not even possible to make an adapter to do this.

4) The home button is no longer a button. I'm sure it's cheaper to manufacture now, but real buttons are better than fake ones.

I can't imagine anyone looking at the iphone 7 and thinking "wow, this is what I've been waiting for". The good news is: fortunately, Apple is continuing to sell the iphone 6s.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Sep 10 2016, 12:55 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 18.294

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 9 2016, 10:13 PM) *
Sound quality is the same though in terms of "wired output" of course, blutooth has it's own limitations.

Found this site which has tests on bluetooth; http://www.sereneaudio.com/blog/how-good-i...dio-at-its-best

The industry has been slowly making people get used to poor quality audio since mp3, to me this is another step...All GMC members should get a homework to go to the nearest pro hi-fi store and listen a vinyl on quality equipment. I'd also like to say such stores are getting harder and harder to come by, soon can only be found in bigger citys only sad.gif

In the age of home recording, ironic so few actually heard a true reference tone out of speakers...

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
post Sep 10 2016, 05:54 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 17.304

Obviously there was no musician in the room when all this was decided.

I love my Mac but since Jobs died, Apple's been fucking up. They used to always be ahead of the curve but now there just doing stupid shit like Microsoft does.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Sep 10 2016, 09:33 AM
Post #6

Learning Apprentice Player

Member No.: 19.975

QUOTE (Mertay @ Sep 10 2016, 12:55 AM) *
The industry has been slowly making people get used to poor quality audio since mp3, to me this is another step...All GMC members should get a homework to go to the nearest pro hi-fi store and listen a vinyl on quality equipment. I'd also like to say such stores are getting harder and harder to come by, soon can only be found in bigger citys only sad.gif

In the age of home recording, ironic so few actually heard a true reference tone out of speakers...

Absolutely true, people are forgetting how good proper hi fidelity equipment can sound, in fact, it doesn't actually sound because the best equipment adds nothing nor takes nothing to/from the signal which is why many high end hi fi amps only have a volume knob.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Sep 10 2016, 10:21 AM

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Sep 11 2016, 05:10 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

Most folks listen on EARBUDS or through the speakers on their LAPTOP! EGAD!!!!! ( I don't mean GMC folks, I Mean "most people") so audio quality isn't something Joe Sixpack is willing to spend to much on. So we get MP3 via Bluetooth. Double compression. Yuck. sad.gif

I can't quite go there on buying a big Vinyl based rig though. I do get a kick out of the "Flexi" discs that Decibel puts in their Magazine each month smile.gif But I usually go to soundcloud to hear the actual song and just collect the flexi to be honest as I don't own a Turntable. smile.gif

QUOTE (Mertay @ Sep 9 2016, 07:55 PM) *
Found this site which has tests on bluetooth; http://www.sereneaudio.com/blog/how-good-i...dio-at-its-best

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Sep 13 2016, 01:41 AM
Post #8

Group Icon

The more I read about the iphone 7, the more glad I am that I have the 6 smile.gif It seems like Apple is running out of ideas so they are just trying to change some minor bits to drive revenue by making folks by new stuff. Not new product lines, just replacement bits. sad.gif I hope they keep selling the 6 for quite a while as I might have to get a second one when my current one wears out.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
post Sep 15 2016, 06:02 PM
Post #9

Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.338

Probably not the smartest move to remove the headphone's minijack... oh well. I guess ill stick to android based cells!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd August 2017 - 05:45 PM