Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Xtomp From Hotone (the "anything" Pedal)
Todd Simpson
post Sep 16 2016, 03:09 AM
Post #1

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

Hotone put out a new pedal called the XTOMP that can be any pedal, or any two pedals really, or it can be a cab sim, or amp sim. It's just a single pedal so the processor focuses on being just a pedal or two, or amp or cab. There are some products, like the multi single stomp from XOOM that does all of the above in a single pedal. However, the xoom compromises sound just a bit for flexibility where the hotone focuses on keeping the sound as pristine as possible and doing fewer things at once. I got my hands on one and here is me exploring tones with it for about 20 minutes.

You download an app (Android in the vid, but ios works too) and download whatever sounds /amps you like and transfer them to the pedal via bluetooth. I mounted an old smartphone to my pedalboard for this vid. I"m using the Hotone Mojo Amp/Head (also mounted on the board) as the amp.

Forgive the poor audio quality as I was just recording this for reference for myself and using the camera mic. But I figured I'd share it until I can make a full quality version that shows what it sounds like a bit better. The vid is good for giving an idea of all the pedal does though so here it is smile.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Sep 16 2016, 03:09 AM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klasaine
post Sep 16 2016, 03:53 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 17.304

Looks/sounds cool.

I dig all the pedals that let you send tones from an app.
I have several TC effects that have their 'toneprint' feature. Really handy if you need some wacky or ambient effect for only one song. Or, if you're doing a session and the producer or the artist wants to experiment with lots of various reverb and delay choices. Their mini-pedals now have the toneprint feature. You can literally have 100 different reverbs or delays in your pocket.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Sep 16 2016, 03:54 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
post Sep 16 2016, 06:26 AM
Post #3

Experienced Tone Seeker

Group: Members
Member No.: 14.292

cool demo, sounds pretty good. Its like a wildcard pedal smile.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Sep 16 2016, 09:32 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

It is smile.gif It can be pretty much anything. Or two pedals at once. Or a cab, or an amp smile.gif Whatever once needs, just download and transfer with a smart phone and bam.

Todd

QUOTE (bleez @ Sep 16 2016, 01:26 AM) *
cool demo, sounds pretty good. Its like a wildcard pedal smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Sep 17 2016, 08:24 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 18.294

The demo was cool as I believe I understood the unit, actually searched and checked the price (as it hasn't arrived here yet) and to be honest wasn't happy smile.gif

comparing prices there are a lot of alternatives though not sharing the same concept but get the job done. If it were to be able to load cab. ir's though then it would be very competitive.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Sep 18 2016, 08:50 AM
Post #6

Group Icon

They run about $250 New, here. Which is almost as much as a used 11 Rack smile.gif They used high er quality bits and pieces than they normally use which boosted the price up a good bit. They usually use cheaper bits to keep the cost down.

They are still very early on in the software and keep adding new things constantly. I'm hoping they add cab IRs and hoping they find a way to let you stack several pedals and an amp and a cab in the same patch smile.gif

I do like the versatility of it, in a pedal form factor. It's certainly more portable than my 11 rack smile.gif It's also the first time I put a cell phone in my pedal board smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Mertay @ Sep 17 2016, 03:24 PM) *
The demo was cool as I believe I understood the unit, actually searched and checked the price (as it hasn't arrived here yet) and to be honest wasn't happy smile.gif

comparing prices there are a lot of alternatives though not sharing the same concept but get the job done. If it were to be able to load cab. ir's though then it would be very competitive.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Sep 18 2016, 01:41 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 18.294

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 18 2016, 07:50 AM) *
I do like the versatility of it, in a pedal form factor. It's certainly more portable than my 11 rack smile.gif It's also the first time I put a cell phone in my pedal board smile.gif

Todd

Why not make a shootout with the elevan rack? the amps for example. There are many who prefer quality over quantity and if its good enough then price point won't matter much.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Sep 20 2016, 01:47 AM
Post #8

Group Icon

Good idea smile.gif I haven't actually done a shootout myself yet. I need to though. I'm curious how they compare.

Todd

QUOTE (Mertay @ Sep 18 2016, 08:41 AM) *
Why not make a shootout with the elevan rack? the amps for example. There are many who prefer quality over quantity and if its good enough then price point won't matter much.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd August 2017 - 05:27 AM