Finally Upgraded My Computer, And holy cow have times changed...
Jim S.
Sep 26 2016, 12:05 AM
Learning Rock Star
I sold my old pearl drum set which was pretty hard to bare. I bought that set for a drummer who was not punctual. He still never showed up...

So I rocked a 2006 MacBook 13" with 2g ram and Logic Pro 9. This has been my setup for so long and I got so used to everything that when I picked up a 21.5" with 2.8i7 with 16g ram with logic x and the latest Mac OS for $400 that left me an extra hundred! I think a thunderbolt hard drive is what I'll save my project files to. It's crazy that all the things I wished for in logic that were worked out. I can record song ideas from my phone and it shows up right in logic, it is also a remote for the program.

I sold the drum set in hopes of being able to program music including drums better. First thing I notice is... adding a new drummer track automatically sets 16bars of drums. You can pick the drummer and change the swing loudness and complexity. I haven't looked yet but I bet you could still adjust the notes in piano roll. Either way it's amazing the progress from 2010...

What are some other things I may not know about?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 27 2016, 05:28 AM
GMC:er
Congrats on your new rig!! That's a great price btw! I"m running a 2.3 i7 with 16gb of ram and a 1tb ssd drive. The SSD drive is the best upgrade you could ever make. It gets your boot time down to nearly zero and all your apps launch without delay. Big apps can take a while to launch, but with an ssd, it's like BAM here's logic x. You can get a 500 gb ssd for about $150, and 960 GB for about $225.

As for LOGIC X it's deeeeeeep. Make sure you download all the sounds if you have enough space. One cool thing is the PEDALBOARD where you can add stomp boxes and and save the configuration to pull up later wink.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Jim S. @ Sep 25 2016, 07:05 PM) *
I sold my old pearl drum set which was pretty hard to bare. I bought that set for a drummer who was not punctual. He still never showed up...

So I rocked a 2006 MacBook 13" with 2g ram and Logic Pro 9. This has been my setup for so long and I got so used to everything that when I picked up a 21.5" with 2.8i7 with 16g ram with logic x and the latest Mac OS for $400 that left me an extra hundred! I think a thunderbolt hard drive is what I'll save my project files to. It's crazy that all the things I wished for in logic that were worked out. I can record song ideas from my phone and it shows up right in logic, it is also a remote for the program.

I sold the drum set in hopes of being able to program music including drums better. First thing I notice is... adding a new drummer track automatically sets 16bars of drums. You can pick the drummer and change the swing loudness and complexity. I haven't looked yet but I bet you could still adjust the notes in piano roll. Either way it's amazing the progress from 2010...

What are some other things I may not know about?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Sep 27 2016, 02:27 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 27 2016, 12:28 AM) *
Congrats on your new rig!! That's a great price btw! I"m running a 2.3 i7 with 16gb of ram and a 1tb ssd drive. The SSD drive is the best upgrade you could ever make. It gets your boot time down to nearly zero and all your apps launch without delay. Big apps can take a while to launch, but with an ssd, it's like BAM here's logic x. You can get a 500 gb ssd for about $150, and 960 GB for about $225.

As for LOGIC X it's deeeeeeep. Make sure you download all the sounds if you have enough space. One cool thing is the PEDALBOARD where you can add stomp boxes and and save the configuration to pull up later wink.gif

Todd

Oh thanks for the tips man!

I'm looking into ssd hard drives right now and hope to upgrade soon. I still get the same system overload error with this computer and the only thing sililiar about my old and new computer is the spinning hard drive. I'd like to only see this error if I have 20 tracks...

Do you run your guitar right into logic or do you use amplitube? I'm waiting on a FireWire 800 to 400 adapter and then I can hook up my audio interface... can't wait!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 27 2016, 08:07 PM
I run the guitar in an iConnectivity4+ (usb 2.0) or directly in to my eleven rack (usb 2.0). 20 tracks of audio is a good bit for a 5200 rpm laptop drive which is what is in some imacs and mac laptops. The good news is that SSD has an insane amount of speed. Something like 500 Megabytes per second, not megabits. There are 8 bits in single byte. So I"ve yet to have many overload problems on the quad i7/ssd. The limit of the 400 interface is about 50 megabytes per second which should be more than enough. What resolution are you working at? Standard 16 or 24 bit with 44.1 or 48k sampling? If you are working 24bit with 96k sampling or higher, the bandwidth requirements go up quite a bit.

Todd

QUOTE (Jim S. @ Sep 27 2016, 09:27 AM) *
Oh thanks for the tips man!

I'm looking into ssd hard drives right now and hope to upgrade soon. I still get the same system overload error with this computer and the only thing sililiar about my old and new computer is the spinning hard drive. I'd like to only see this error if I have 20 tracks...

Do you run your guitar right into logic or do you use amplitube? I'm waiting on a FireWire 800 to 400 adapter and then I can hook up my audio interface... can't wait!

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Sep 28 2016, 12:28 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 27 2016, 03:07 PM) *
I run the guitar in an iConnectivity4+ (usb 2.0) or directly in to my eleven rack (usb 2.0). 20 tracks of audio is a good bit for a 5200 rpm laptop drive which is what is in some imacs and mac laptops. The good news is that SSD has an insane amount of speed. Something like 500 Megabytes per second, not megabits. There are 8 bits in single byte. So I"ve yet to have many overload problems on the quad i7/ssd. The limit of the 400 interface is about 50 megabytes per second which should be more than enough. What resolution are you working at? Standard 16 or 24 bit with 44.1 or 48k sampling? If you are working 24bit with 96k sampling or higher, the bandwidth requirements go up quite a bit.

Todd

Morning Todd!

Hey is everything ran off your ssd drive or do you have an external to store project files to? There is a 1tb 7500rpm hard drive in it and would like to use it. There are thunderbolt external hard drives which seem to get attention on the internet but specifically with music production is like to have an efficient machine. I'd like to add a ssd drive and still use the other for storage while having an external for time machine and/or logics project files.

The other night I made a super fast 45 sec song and I realized the project was 16gigs... wtf? Made me realize the importance of keeping clean file structure. Maybe the habit of deleting project files when they are finished would be a good start lol!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 29 2016, 09:44 PM
As with many such setups, I only run applications and the operating system from ssd. It's still to pricey for much else. However, I found firewire 400 and 800 to be sluggish to so I got a thunderbolt dock that supported usb 3 and then usb 3 to sata adapters. My project drives are all usb 3.0 or sata. So they run about 100-150 megabytes a second. More than enough for audio and video to run at the same time smile.gif The usb 3.0 drives are quite cheap and quite fast, way faster than firewire 800.

mine is a 2012 macbook pro with thunderbolt version1. IT had enough bandwidth to run 3 drives at full speed and has an extra hdmi ouput which I run to a 47 inch lcd display as my main monitor. It cost a couple hundred bux but it made that 5 year old laptop in to the center of a very spiff studio smile.gif

http://amzn.to/2ddsR2b
Attached Image

my two raid drives don't have usb 3 but do have sata so I got two usb 3 to sata adapters and bam. All three of my raid drives are connected to my mac. Two of them are just one backing up the other. While the third is a clone of my internal boot drive so in case my internal drive decides to die, I just boot from the external raid and I'm back in business smile.gif

Of course, you don't have to invest in three raid drives, you can get one usb 3 drive to start. They are very fast even with a single disk (non raid eg. multi disk) 150 megabytes per second which can push 24 tracks with ease. BTW did you get an imac or laptop?

P.S. cick on ABOUT THIS MAC and you will get the "vintage" of your mac. The older macs with thunderbolt can be an issue with anything other than attaching a display. Post 2012, the thunderbolt revision works great with various docking solutions that let you add USB3 drives, hdmi tv outputs, etc.
Attached Image

Todd

QUOTE (Jim S. @ Sep 28 2016, 07:28 AM) *
Morning Todd!

Hey is everything ran off your ssd drive or do you have an external to store project files to? There is a 1tb 7500rpm hard drive in it and would like to use it. There are thunderbolt external hard drives which seem to get attention on the internet but specifically with music production is like to have an efficient machine. I'd like to add a ssd drive and still use the other for storage while having an external for time machine and/or logics project files.

The other night I made a super fast 45 sec song and I realized the project was 16gigs... wtf? Made me realize the importance of keeping clean file structure. Maybe the habit of deleting project files when they are finished would be a good start lol!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Sep 30 2016, 09:05 AM

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Oct 1 2016, 01:22 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 29 2016, 04:44 PM) *
As with many such setups, I only run applications and the operating system from ssd. It's still to pricey for much else. However, I found firewire 400 and 800 to be sluggish to so I got a thunderbolt dock that supported usb 3 and then usb 3 to sata adapters. My project drives are all usb 3.0 or sata. So they run about 100-150 megabytes a second. More than enough for audio and video to run at the same time smile.gif The usb 3.0 drives are quite cheap and quite fast, way faster than firewire 800.

mine is a 2012 macbook pro with thunderbolt version1. IT had enough bandwidth to run 3 drives at full speed and has an extra hdmi ouput which I run to a 47 inch lcd display as my main monitor. It cost a couple hundred bux but it made that 5 year old laptop in to the center of a very spiff studio smile.gif

http://amzn.to/2ddsR2b
Attached Image

my two raid drives don't have usb 3 but do have sata so I got two usb 3 to sata adapters and bam. All three of my raid drives are connected to my mac. Two of them are just one backing up the other. While the third is a clone of my internal boot drive so in case my internal drive decides to die, I just boot from the external raid and I'm back in business smile.gif

Of course, you don't have to invest in three raid drives, you can get one usb 3 drive to start. They are very fast even with a single disk (non raid eg. multi disk) 150 megabytes per second which can push 24 tracks with ease. BTW did you get an imac or laptop?

P.S. cick on ABOUT THIS MAC and you will get the "vintage" of your mac. The older macs with thunderbolt can be an issue with anything other than attaching a display. Post 2012, the thunderbolt revision works great with various docking solutions that let you add USB3 drives, hdmi tv outputs, etc.
Attached Image

Todd

Man I'm getting a bit nervous because my main audio interface which has 8 analog channels and is firewire. I hope this is not not the issue. My IMac has USB 2.0.

I'm thinking about getting the smaller 256g ssd to drive apps while keeping the 1 TB 7500 rpm internal drive to store pics/memories ect. They do make a thunderbolt to USB 3 adapter so the possibility is there for either external hard drive. One small step at a time.

Thanks for sharing your setup it was really helpful.

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Oct 1 2016, 02:06 PM
Experienced Rock Star
QUOTE (Jim S. @ Sep 27 2016, 01:27 PM) *

Just a thought, before you go too far. What problem are you trying to solve? You have a project with less than 20 tracks and you're getting an overload error of some kind?

What exactly is the error you're getting? How many tracks do you have in your project, and what kind of tracks are they (stereo audio, mono audio, midi, instrument, etc.)?

The reason I ask is: with the imac you've described, you should be able to handle a project like that without errors.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 2 2016, 02:39 AM
Here is a link with a list of things to try that are free smile.gif One of them might fix your issue without spending any cash smile.gif But gettin an internal SSD for logic to live on would help for sure. If you have the stock 5400 rpm drive, it's a bit sluggish. Also, make sure it's a quad i7 by doing the "about this mac" thing.

https://brianli.com/fix-logic-pros-10011-sy...overload-error/

Your firewire interface should be fine smile.gif I used to use a presonus 16 channel firewire interface and it was firewire 400 and could record all 16 tracks at once to dual disk raid with no problem. Today, a single usb3 drive is 3 times as fast as my firewire raid. so no throughput problems are likely there smile.gif Not to mention transfering files is 3 times as fast than firewire 800 and making duplicates is 3times as fast.

QUOTE (Jim S. @ Oct 1 2016, 08:22 AM) *
Man I'm getting a bit nervous because my main audio interface which has 8 analog channels and is firewire. I hope this is not not the issue. My IMac has USB 2.0.

I'm thinking about getting the smaller 256g ssd to drive apps while keeping the 1 TB 7500 rpm internal drive to store pics/memories ect. They do make a thunderbolt to USB 3 adapter so the possibility is there for either external hard drive. One small step at a time.

Thanks for sharing your setup it was really helpful.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 2 2016, 02:47 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 04:17 PM