Post #1

Learning Roadie

Group: Members
Member No.: 20.796

Hi all

i like to buy a Bass, to record some own track, i need a real bass

i have try to do it with a guitar but it's not really nice

So i decide to buy a entry price bass.

i have found this model in two flavour, 5 and 6 strings.

https://www.thomann.de/fr/harley_benton_b_6...siv_b_stock.htm

https://www.thomann.de/fr/harley_benton_b_5...siv_b_stock.htm

some video on youtube give them very good critics, so i'll buy one of these two.

but 5 or 6 strings ???

it's tuned like a guitar ?

Cheers

Laurent

This post has been edited by fzalfa: Oct 5 2016, 08:36 PM

--------------------

Yes, i love badges.....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Oct 5 2016, 09:10 PM
Post #2

Learning Apprentice Player

Member No.: 19.975

Don't know about the bass Laurent but read this and the posts after it. https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=738649

Be careful.

Good luck buddy.

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
fzalfa
post Oct 5 2016, 09:16 PM
Post #3

Learning Roadie

i have buy tons of stuff to thomann, got a trouble with a squier fatstrat (failling pots), replaced in a week.

cheers

Laurent

--------------------

Yes, i love badges.....

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Oct 5 2016, 09:24 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 19.975

I've bought stuff from them before and they have been good.

Get this though, they were GREAT with the first repair, sent documents for the collection, it didn't cost me a penny to send it back BUT, and this is a BIG "but", now it needs repairing AGAIN, they don't want to know. Just saying, first time they are great, after that they are losing money and at the moment they have ignored me for nearly 2 weeks.

Be careful buddy.

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Wyverex
post Oct 6 2016, 01:51 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 21.924

I've never had any trouble with Thomann, but I live in Germany so maybe they have problems with servicing customers from other countries.

That being said, I would choose between a 4-string and a 5-string bass. Four strings are usually more than enough if you don't want to play tuned down metal where you need the low B string. A 4 string bass has the same tuning as the lowest 4 guitar strings (just an octave lower), a 5 string bass additionally has a low B string. A 6 string bass additionally has a high C string but that's usually an instrument you use when you are a virtuoso and play a lot of bass solos smile.gif

For the money you apparently want to invest, I would go for a 4 string though. You will probably get better quality with a 4 string there.

+Quote Post
klasaine
post Oct 6 2016, 02:42 PM
Post #6

GMC:er

Member No.: 17.304

5 and 6 string basses are not tuned like a guitar.

5 string bass usually has a low B ... BEADG
6 string usually has a low B and a high C ... BEADGC

*Fender and Squier both make an instrument called a BassVI which is tuned like a normal, 6 string guitar but tuned an octave lower. This is really a low tuned guitar. A very specialized instrument and generally not great for actual bass playing.

Personally, I would go with a standard, 4 string Fender (or Squier) 'Precision' bass or something similar.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Oct 6 2016, 02:47 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Oct 6 2016, 02:57 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 18.294

QUOTE (klasaine @ Oct 6 2016, 01:42 PM) *
Personally, I would go with a standard, 4 string Fender (or Squier) 'Precision' bass or something similar.

+1, they produce a very well known and flexible sound for recording suited for any style of music.

--------------------

+Quote Post
AK Rich
post Oct 6 2016, 03:59 PM
Post #8

Learning Guitar Hero

Member No.: 13.839

Hard to go wrong with a Fender Precision. Ibanez has some pretty solid and good sounding basses as well that are quite affordable. Also don't be afraid to check out some used instruments to find more quality for less money.
I recently bought a used Cort Artisan B4 for $300. It has very good quality hardware and pickups and plays very well.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=56842

4 or 5 strings should be plenty unless you are looking to go full on bass virtuoso mode.

+Quote Post
fzalfa
post Oct 6 2016, 08:44 PM
Post #9

Learning Roadie

Hi

i finaly have ordered the 5 string one, seem to be a good deal

i"ll tell you when i'll receive it

cheers

Laurent

--------------------

Yes, i love badges.....

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Oct 7 2016, 03:57 AM
Post #10

Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

I see you have ordered one, but if you don't like it for any reason SEND IT BACK! smile.gif

Nobody will be shocked by my suggestion here smile.gif If you want a 5 or 6 six bass

BUY AN IBANEZ!!!!!!! smile.gif

I've got a 5 string ibby that just RAWKS. The neck is very comfy and doesn't feel like a telephone pole, unlike many basses I've owned. Matter of fact, the neck is the same thickness as a custom ORMSBY 6 String Guitar!!!!!! I've sold every bass I've ever owned, except this one Black 5 string Ibby and it barely cost $200 brand new smile.gif

http://www.ibanez.com/products/u_eb_detail...&color=CL01

The six string version is just a bit more. But honestly, on sale or used you could probably get it for less than your planning to spend now.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/ibanez...ing-bass-guitar

I see folks who I respect mentioning the Fender Basses. They are great basses with great tone. However, as an Ibby guy, I find playing feels like trying to get music out of a Boat oar. Again, this is JUST ME and I like REAAAAAAALY thin necks on my guitars/basses as they don't impede my playing. Thicker necks tend to make me not use my pinky, not stretch as far, not play as fast, etc. They just feel THICK. But then again, I"M AN IBBY GUY!! smile.gif So take it for what it's worth smile.gif
Todd

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 7 2016, 07:06 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
fzalfa
post Oct 7 2016, 07:59 AM
Post #11

Learning Roadie

Hi

i have finaly buyed the 5 string version, 80€ , it look like a brand new one !

cheers

Laurent

--------------------

Yes, i love badges.....

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
post Oct 7 2016, 09:15 AM
Post #12

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 17.069

I would go for 5 as well as you did. It's not even about playing song with dropped tuning guitar, but sometimes it's just a bout one note like D, you would have to play in a higher octave, while you feel it simply begs for being played lower, according to mix demands. So...due to it's versatility, I would go for 5. At the same time unfortunately you would need to relearn some riffs when you plan to plan unison with guitars. With 4-string bass you just take the instrument, play and it's done. Of course...depending on particular bass line you want to play.

I do not have 5-stringed bass at the moment but I do have 2 bass guitars that I feel I will never be able to sell (sentiment). One hass a vintage PJ bass tone and another has a scopped, sparkling tone, perfect for rock and metal. That's why I decided to put 4 lowest strings from 5-set to one of them, and that's my bass for heavier stuff. Other was has a regular tuning. Depends on style I choose one of them.

Thoug if anyone would made me have to choose one and only bass for all my recordings I would go for a Jazz Bass

--------------------

+Quote Post
fzalfa
post Oct 8 2016, 07:16 PM
Post #13

Learning Roadie

Hi Darius

6 seem to be too much, too much for my short hands
5 is good as i can play almost all i can feel.

i have read a lots of critics about the one i have order, and all are very good, it's a wonderfull bass, with active pickups(can be set to passive with a push pull volume pot), a volume pot, a bass pot, a treble pot and a balance one.

only fret seem to need a small work (polishing), i'm aware it's not a music man or an high end one, but it does his work, it permiut to record some bass lines on my compositions.

Cheers

Laurent

--------------------

Yes, i love badges.....

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
post Oct 9 2016, 12:55 PM
Post #14

Instructor
Group Icon

Harley Benton right? I had to do with a lot of those at some point. I do have a guitar service as well. I fell in love with 1/2 or 3/4 (not sure now) cheap strat from that brand. It's made of inexpensive materials but with some adjustment or reasonably low cost service it can work just fine smile.gif

One add about the electronics and it's not just my subjective opinion.

Most profit of having anything active in teh bass guitar is when the pickup themselves are truly active but the electronics are passive. This way we have much smaller coils to receive any external electro-magnetic hum, and a really noise-free output, perfect for recordings. It often happens to capture huge but very narrow peak at around 15 kHz, but it's easy to remove with paramteric eq, without affect on overall bass tone...

Now...many basses are passive pickups and active electronics. Now unfortunately in 90% cases active electronics add a lot of noise, while boosting signal they also boost natural noise of passive pickups. And this is totally different than having active pickups. Most bass active circuits add noise that is unacceptable for recordings. It's worth rethinking because active electronics are nothing else liek a preamp with eq built-in bass electronics cavity. All this eq can be done on the amp or in DAW with much less noise.

You may not feel it's annoying that much in live conditions, but in the mix with compression on the bass itself and later, the mastering compression, it becomes a real problem. This is why I prefer to have passive electronics in bass while having active pickups

--------------------

+Quote Post
fzalfa
post Oct 9 2016, 05:26 PM
Post #15

Learning Roadie

i'll receive it tomorow or the next day, i'll post some sound check with

cheers

Laurent

--------------------

Yes, i love badges.....

+Quote Post
fzalfa
post Oct 10 2016, 08:26 PM
Post #16

Learning Roadie

this demo sounds good, i have buyed the same in black

cheers

Laurent

--------------------

Yes, i love badges.....

+Quote Post
fzalfa
post Oct 11 2016, 08:32 PM
Post #17

Learning Roadie

Hi

Finaly receivd this morning, unpacking and here it is !

So critics were right, very good build, only need the adjustement of the intonation tuning, fret are nice, no strange sound, pickups are good, a lot of sound tuning posibilities....

This is a sound check, no really nice, i do not touch a bass for ages.....

https://soundcloud.com/laurent-dizy/bass

Cheers

Laurent

--------------------

Yes, i love badges.....

+Quote Post
AK Rich
post Oct 12 2016, 03:35 AM
Post #18

Learning Guitar Hero

Member No.: 13.839

Rock that bass, Laurent! cool.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Oct 12 2016, 12:45 PM
Post #19

Group Icon

Member No.: 8.794

Super congrats on getting a bass! Having one on hand really helps when recording!!

Todd

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
post Oct 12 2016, 01:23 PM
Post #20

Instructor
Group Icon

congrats on your new purchase smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 04:03 AM