> Mac Users With Usb/display Link Hold Off On Siierra
Todd Simpson
post Oct 18 2016, 01:17 PM
Post #1

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

If you are a Mac User (I think there are maybe half a doezen of us, including Kris Dahl) I wanted to warn you about upgrading to the new OS X release SIERRA if you are using any USB type displays that use "Display LInk". I'm using one of these and sure enough Sierra BREAKS IT. sad.gif It handy to sometimes have a usb display that just connects to your computer via USB and not through a graphics port. This can be a great/cheap way to add extra monitors to your rig smile.gif I added a 17 inch for $100. But of course, it won't work on SIERRA.

To make it worse, some audio plugins don't work on Sierra as well. My "Test Mac" is quad core laptop similar to my "Production Mac" just a pinch slower and no ssd drive intenal to the unit. So I upgrade it first to see what breaks. I upgrade my "Production Rig" (The laptop that I make music/videos on) Only after all the issues have been fixed by apple and various third party vendors do I upgrade my production rig.

Most folks have one rig it seems, so it's important to be very careful and have a ghost/boot image of your last stable configuration for those times when you leave "auto update" on and your computer breaks itself. If all this is greek to you don't worry. Being a musician today is no different than working in Information technology so you will get it as you go along.

Here is a link to a post about what I'm talking about

http://plugable.com/2016/09/21/plugable-su...sierra-upgrade/

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th November 2017 - 01:56 AM