Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Clean Tone
Wyverex
post Oct 28 2016, 06:27 PM
Post #1

Learning Apprentice Player

Group: Members
Member No.: 21.924

Until now I've mostly used tones that had been created by someone else, be it in Bias FX or with the Helix I recently acquired (and have come to adore wub.gif ). Now I thought I'd start creating my first tone with the Helix, mostly to begin to understand what I need to do to create the tone I want to have. So I started with a simple clean tone and a boosted stage for soloing on top of that.

Here's a recording of that. First part is just the clean tone (on middle pickup or my AT10P), then with the solo tone on the neck pickup and around 1:14 the solo tone on the bridge pickup. Please ignore my soloing skillz biggrin.gif

https://soundcloud.com/user-45599409/clean-tone-test

Something about the solo tone in particular is nagging at me but I don't know what it is. It doesn't feel bright enough I think. Now I realize that this is all subjective but I'd like to hear some thoughts and suggestions on what YOU would do to enhance this tone smile.gif

What I have so far is:

Compressor (2:1 ratio, 36ms attack, 200 ms release)
Amp based on Mesa Mark IV clean channel
Delay (called Elephant Man, don't know what it's based on)
Plate Reverb
Only EQ comes from the amp itself: 750Hz +1.5dB, 2.2kHz +3dB

And for solo additionally:
Distortion
Flat EQ for an additional level gain behind the amp
Dual Delay (instead of Elephant Man)
Amp EQ: 750Hz +1.5dB, 2.2kHz +1dB, 6.6kHz +1dB

This post has been edited by Wyverex: Oct 28 2016, 06:28 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Oct 28 2016, 06:44 PM
Post #2

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 18.294

For low gain solo's its better to try overdrives first on a clean amp, an ibanez ts808 (tubescreamer) or boss sd1 might be a good start. The breakup tone with such pedals will be smoother and a bit more amp-like.

Setting their tone control might be a bit tricky but once you get near what you think is best, then adjust the clean amps eq again subtly to nail it depending on the backing track.

The elephant man seems to mean the EHX Memoryman which is probably the most famous bbd type analog delay. Analog delays if set proper (tap tempo is important, let me know if you're not familiar with how to use tap tempo) can give a reverb like feel to the tone, then very subtle amp reverb can be added.

Not sure about adding a compressor to a strum type backing, chorus would probably be the first thing that I'd want to try.

And yeah as you say these are all subjective biggrin.gif once you find your favorite tone then others opinions don't matter but to achieve that to me the best and most fun way is to keep tweaking knobs smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Wyverex
post Oct 28 2016, 07:11 PM
Post #3

A Tubescreamer does indeed sound better already, thanks smile.gif

I guess I'm familiar with Tap Tempo, but maybe there are secrets I don't know yet smile.gif What I normally do is I tap quarter notes and I get satisfying results.

And about the compressor: You're probably right about the strumming, I didn't exactly create the tone for strumming only but that's what I ended up with to record. So I might add a chorus there as well (or instead of the compressor). At the moment it feels a bit overwhelming to have so many options that it's hard to know what to leave fixed and what to change wacko.gif

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Oct 28 2016, 07:38 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 18.294

eehehe no worrys we've all been there biggrin.gif just take your time and try not to be super critical when adjusting fx smile.gif

On tap tempo yeah you either tap quarter or eight, but if you want faster some delays have a control called subdivision which (after tapping) is set manually (for triplet, 16th etc...). With the help of feedback control, faster repeats tend to sound more reverb-like when the feedback is adjusted accordingly. I'd assume helix would probably have this feature.

For non-tap tempo approach, rates below 200-250ms are considered to sound room-like. Lowest (probably 20-30ms) is called slapback and its very popular and around 220ms it becomes hall-reverb-like. Not all analog delays are good at every speed and emulations can have advantage in this area so enjoy when you have the time to try smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
post Oct 29 2016, 10:07 PM
Post #5

Experienced Tone Seeker

Member No.: 14.292

QUOTE (Wyverex @ Oct 28 2016, 06:27 PM) *
Here's a recording of that. First part is just the clean tone (on middle pickup or my AT10P), then with the solo tone on the neck pickup and around 1:14 the solo tone on the bridge pickup. Please ignore my soloing skillz biggrin.gif

sounds pretty nice overall to me cool.gif your middle pickup part sounds especially tasty, I really like that type of tone. Are you still tweaking it, how does the tube screamer type OD sound with it?

QUOTE (Mertay @ Oct 28 2016, 06:44 PM) *
The elephant man seems to mean the EHX Memoryman

LOL! That is genius laugh.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Oct 30 2016, 01:36 AM
Post #6

Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

Good points so far and good tone! smile.gif The overdrive is a very good way to go as it pushes the signal without completely distorting it like a distortion box does. Different beast entirely. Which is why so many folks just love some version or the original version of the Ibanez Tube Screamer smile.gif It the secret to so many good tones.

Adding a bit of chorus never hurts IMHO on a clean tone smile.gif Bit of stereo chorus with not to much modulation can make it sound bigger and wider.

So much of it of course comes down to tweaking non stop til you find what works for your ears and your playing.

Todd

QUOTE (bleez @ Oct 29 2016, 05:07 PM) *
sounds pretty nice overall to me cool.gif your middle pickup part sounds especially tasty, I really like that type of tone. Are you still tweaking it, how does the tube screamer type OD sound with it?

LOL! That is genius laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Wyverex
post Oct 30 2016, 09:31 AM
Post #7

QUOTE (bleez @ Oct 29 2016, 10:07 PM) *

Thanks smile.gif
Each day when I start playing, I listen to the sound again and make some adjustments if I feel like it. This is what it sounds now. It's probably got to much chorus in it now, I guess I'll cut a bit back on that. The solo tone with a TS doesn't even sound that much different to my ears now but it's more on the edge of breakup and feels more dynamic to me when playing.

https://soundcloud.com/user-45599409/clean-tone-test-v2

Thanks for all the suggestions so far smile.gif

+Quote Post
bleez
post Oct 30 2016, 12:42 PM
Post #8

Experienced Tone Seeker

Member No.: 14.292

yeah, the TS on the 2nd tone is subtle but you can hear it in there smile.gif both tones sound good tbh.

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2017 - 10:01 AM