Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Focusrite Problem
yoncopin
post Nov 16 2016, 07:36 PM
Post #21

Learning Rock Star

Group: Members
Member No.: 7.667

That all looks pretty good. You had a Pod or Eleven Rack right? Try a different unit and see if it does the same thing. then you'd know if it was a Kemper or Scarlett/PC issue. What about just using standard guitar cables from the main outs?

This post has been edited by yoncopin: Nov 16 2016, 07:36 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bleez
post Nov 16 2016, 08:30 PM
Post #22

Experienced Tone Seeker

Member No.: 14.292

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Nov 16 2016, 06:36 PM) *
That all looks pretty good. You had a Pod or Eleven Rack right? Try a different unit and see if it does the same thing. then you'd know if it was a Kemper or Scarlett/PC issue. What about just using standard guitar cables from the main outs?

didnt actually think you could use a guitar cable! so that would go out the KPA into one of the front inputs on the scarlett I guess.
I dont the pod anymore but I could try and use the 11R.
Although, if I remove the KPA from the scarlett and set reaper to this -

[attachment=45522:sc8.jpg]

I still get the same pops on the backing.

I have a copy of reaper on my laptop, I could try the scarlett on that.

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
yoncopin
post Nov 16 2016, 08:34 PM
Post #23

Learning Rock Star

Member No.: 7.667

That was a good test to just do the Reaper playback. Those are all good ideas to try they should give us more info. Maybe the drivers are still messed up, go back to device manager and instead of troubleshoot, try delete. Then unplug and replug the interface, it should reinstall the drivers.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Nov 16 2016, 09:10 PM
Post #24

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

Quick question, have you tried the non digital signal path? It's a very clean processor and interface, and a bit more simple in terms of signal path IMHO. Worth a shot just to see if it's working smile.gif Two XLR cables will do the job smile.gif One xlr would do it for mono. Did that XLR cable show up in the mail? Two for stereo smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Nov 16 2016, 03:34 PM) *
That was a good test to just do the Reaper playback. Those are all good ideas to try they should give us more info. Maybe the drivers are still messed up, go back to device manager and instead of troubleshoot, try delete. Then unplug and replug the interface, it should reinstall the drivers.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Nov 16 2016, 11:43 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
post Nov 17 2016, 12:48 AM
Post #25

Experienced Tone Seeker

I cancelled the XLR lead. I think I had ordered the wrong connections rolleyes.gif I think I need a female XLR to Jack? Its an odd looking input in the front of the scarlett.
Todd, at this stage I dont even have the Kemper connected to the scarlett!

Anyways, I uninstalled / reinstalled. This time with the installation I got an ASIO Control panel with the focusrite control ( wasnt there before ). Its was set at 48 kHZ but the mix controller was set to 44.1.
I set the new ASIO controller to 44.1 = no change but I began increasing the buffer size. when I got to 1024 the pops seem to be much less frequent but not totally gone so I dunno if its actually making a difference.
I'll try again tomorrow.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Nov 17 2016, 08:31 PM
Post #26

Learning Apprentice Player

Member No.: 19.975

Scott,

The input in the front of the Scarlett takes a 1/4 jack (in the middle) and an XLR you can connect either to it wink.gif

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Nov 17 2016, 08:47 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Nov 19 2016, 05:12 PM
Post #27

Group Icon

The scarlett has "COMBO JACKS" (very handy) which can take quarter inch/guitar plugs or xlr cables. XLR cables are handy in that good ones are well shielded against RF (radio frequency) and they have a grounding pin which allows longer cable runs without noise. However, at very short cable runs, a good pair of standard guitar cables/quarter inch, even short patch cables should do the trick between the kemper and scarlett. Start with just one, mono, to see if you get level. The good news about going analogue input is that the sampling rate is not an issue between kemper and scarlett anymore. If you can get any level, using even a guitar straight in to the scarlet, or a mic or anything really, then you should be able to go LINE OUT (not a powered output line for God's sake! E.G. One meant for a guitar cab) from the Kemper to the scarlett. The pops/clicks are usually buffering related in many cases. If you set the scarlett and your daw to simple 44.1 sampling (cd quality) then play with the buffering, you should be able to get rid of the clicks. Also, make sure you are NOT using a hub to connect your scarlett as has been mentioned. Connect the scarlet DIRECTLY to a USB 2.0 (I'm assuming your computer has 2.0 ports as does your scarlett but verifying this might be a good idea) port on your computer. Use the hub for other bits, like the mouse.

Hope this helps smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 17 2016, 03:31 PM) *
Scott,

The input in the front of the Scarlett takes a 1/4 jack (in the middle) and an XLR you can connect either to it wink.gif

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
post Nov 20 2016, 12:10 PM
Post #28

Experienced Tone Seeker

Thanks guys. I had left this problem for a couple of days as I was spending all my guitar time dicking around with it and not getting to actually play guitar mellow.gif Im going to fire it up again this afternoon though.

I wonder why I dont get any issues when using the 11 rack as an interface but with the scarlett I get these (possibly) buffering drop outs. I would have thought the scarlett was the more simple device of the two.

with these multi combo jacks on the scarlett, is it best to use an XLR to XLR or XLR to jack? or does it not matter wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Nov 20 2016, 11:01 PM
Post #29

Group Icon

It shouldn't matter what type of cable over a short cable run really. The 11 Rack is largely based on the Digi002 which is a hardware Pro Tools interface with many years of studio time under it's belt. It's just got a guitar sim tacked on top smile.gif It's also got XLR input on the front in case you want to record vocals.

Also, the 11 Rack HAS SPDIF Input/Output, so if you want spdif, you could just use that smile.gif To be honest you could just skip the scarlet and use one of the available channels on the 11. It has several input channels that you can use. You can only use gtr sim on one of them. But you can record through ALL of them smile.gif They should all show up in your daw as optional tracks when the 11r is set as your audio source inside your daw.

I've found the 11r to be a very spiff audio interface. Never had a glitch to speak of smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (bleez @ Nov 20 2016, 07:10 AM) *
Thanks guys. I had left this problem for a couple of days as I was spending all my guitar time dicking around with it and not getting to actually play guitar mellow.gif Im going to fire it up again this afternoon though.

I wonder why I dont get any issues when using the 11 rack as an interface but with the scarlett I get these (possibly) buffering drop outs. I would have thought the scarlett was the more simple device of the two.

with these multi combo jacks on the scarlett, is it best to use an XLR to XLR or XLR to jack? or does it not matter wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
post Nov 21 2016, 12:44 AM
Post #30

Experienced Tone Seeker

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 20 2016, 10:01 PM) *
Also, the 11 Rack HAS SPDIF Input/Output, so if you want spdif, you could just use that smile.gif To be honest you could just skip the scarlet and use one of the available channels on the 11. It has several input channels that you can use. You can only use gtr sim on one of them. But you can record through ALL of them smile.gif They should all show up in your daw as optional tracks when the 11r is set as your audio source inside your daw.

I've found the 11r to be a very spiff audio interface. Never had a glitch to speak of smile.gif

Todd

Hold the phone huh.gif I can run the kemper into the 11R as if it were the scarlett, would I get just the kemper without being coloured from any 11R stuff?
How would a guy go about connecting that setup?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Nov 21 2016, 07:08 PM
Post #31

Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 18.294

I'm a bit late to this topic but did you try the kemper connecting to the focusrite with line in/outconnection? I wonder if spdif is messing with the clock settings in the focusrite.

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
post Nov 21 2016, 07:30 PM
Post #32

Experienced Tone Seeker

QUOTE (Mertay @ Nov 21 2016, 06:08 PM) *
I'm a bit late to this topic but did you try the kemper connecting to the focusrite with line in/outconnection? I wonder if spdif is messing with the clock settings in the focusrite.

yeah, with a normal guitar lead. TBH its more the focusrite that is giving me grief as Im getting the audio dropout without the KPA connected at all.
I tried it on a laptop ( better spec than my PC ) and it was much the same with backing tracks dropping out. I set the buffer to 1024 and that was about the best. I got an occasional drop out. If I played a backing track say 15 times, it would maybe have a 1 second audio drop once out of the 15. Not ideal but much improved.

I get none of this drop out with my 11Rack so If I can run the KPA through the 11r maybe that is the way to go. I dont think I'll be able to try it tonight unfortunately, probably tomorrow.
Failing that I can try focusrite support, although Ive already done most of what they advise in their troubleshooter but they might know something.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Nov 21 2016, 08:02 PM
Post #33

Group Icon

QUOTE (bleez @ Nov 21 2016, 06:30 PM) *

Makes me think if 2 units being installed to the same computer is the issue (maybe fixable from DAW settings as with asio selection etc...) but if its also with the laptop we might have some sort of windows compatibility issue.

But before that (and just to be sure) try disconnecting the internet and disable any virus protection programs if running,also try a different USB port. If these don't help, go to focusrites main .exe program and left click+properties+compatibility and set it to a previous windows version. Unfortunatly such issues needs some time and experiment to figureout sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
post Nov 21 2016, 08:58 PM
Post #34

Experienced Tone Seeker

QUOTE (Mertay @ Nov 21 2016, 07:02 PM) *
Makes me think if 2 units being installed to the same computer is the issue (maybe fixable from DAW settings as with asio selection etc...) but if its also with the laptop we might have some sort of windows compatibility issue.

But before that (and just to be sure) try disconnecting the internet and disable any virus protection programs if running,also try a different USB port. If these don't help, go to focusrites main .exe program and left click+properties+compatibility and set it to a previous windows version. Unfortunatly such issues needs some time and experiment to figureout sad.gif

I'll try those suggestions, thanks.

My PC is window 7, the laptop was windows 10/. I didnt know about that compatibility setting. Just had a quick look and it currently looks like -

[attachment=45536:pp.jpg]

If I was to use it on my win 7 PC would I select the win 7 or go for an earlier one like XP -

[attachment=45537:ww.jpg]

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Nov 21 2016, 09:11 PM
Post #35

Group Icon

I did read about some audio related software having trouble on win 10 but things should be ok on win 7. But this is a reversable thing so won't harm trying.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Nov 22 2016, 12:03 PM
Post #36

Learning Apprentice Player

Member No.: 19.975

I get popping sometimes when I have browser tabs open that have played videos, YouTube, Facebook etc. Even if they're not playing them at the time, it's as though they hold onto resources. Closing browser or sometimes a reboot and not opening browser helps.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Nov 22 2016, 07:57 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
bleez
post Nov 22 2016, 06:42 PM
Post #37

Experienced Tone Seeker

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 22 2016, 11:03 AM) *
I get popping someone's when I have browser tabs open that have played videos, YouTube, Facebook etc. Even if they're not playing them at the time, it's as though they hold onto resources. Closing browser or sometimes a reboot and not opening browser helps.

interesting. Can't remember if Ive had browsers open at the time, quite possibly though. I'll bear that in mind when I try it, cheers duder.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Nov 22 2016, 09:08 PM
Post #38

Group Icon

Just connect to the inputs on the 11 r. It' got stereo inputs or you can use the SPDIF input. smile.gif If you use spif, sampling rate should be the same. The 11r is an audio interface. the easy way is the line inputs on the back for stereo. Spif shoujld work fine too smile.gif in your daw just set the 11r as your interface. You can choose which inputs on the11r get the guitar treatment using the software editor. You can either pick an input that isn't the main input on the front, or just turn on the modules off if that is easier smile.gif So yeah, just like a regular interface. Then in your daw, you should see numerous inputs from the 11r.

You can use any daw, you can even use PRO TOOLS FREE which allows multiple inputs to be assigned and used including the guitar processing.

Just make sure the 11 r is directly connected to a usb port, and kill everything you don't need like browsers etc. You can record in simple mono just plugging one xlr jack in the front of the 11r from the kemper, assign that input in your daw.

In this vid, a guy using three mics at once going in to his 11 rack.

It makes a great audio interface all by itself smile.gif Each track in your daw lets you select an input channel from the audio device hooked up. You can even pair them.
E.G. 1/2 for a stereo track. having an 11r does sorta making having another small audio interface somewhat redundant, until such time as AVID just drops support entirely for the 11r on your OS of choice. smile.gif

Todd

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Nov 22 2016, 09:14 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
post Nov 23 2016, 11:27 PM
Post #39

Experienced Tone Seeker

where Im at cool.gif
Got the KPA going into the 11R via spdif. No audio drops or anything like that. Only issue I have and I think it was the same when I had the KPA through the scarlet, is that the guitar is very quiet. I have the spdif output volume cranked from the KPA.
Theres a rig volume on the KPA which is at halfway, when my headphones are into the KPA the sound is amazing. Its loud, bright and generally perfect.
When I go headphones into the 11R I need to put the rig volume past 3 o clock to the point where it is beginning distort in my H/phones but the sound is still less bright, the reverb is less prominent. It might also be a little bit 'phase-y', just a little, I think.

I might ask over at the KPA forums, I found a few posts there where guys are using the same setup as me and it seems to be fine.

Ive been testing this mainly with chappers silverback profile, gotta say, that profile with my LP (direct into the KPA ) is probably the best sound Ive ever had! If I could only get it sound like that in reaper rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Nov 24 2016, 09:22 AM
Post #40

Group Icon

is it possible you're sending a stereo signal from kemper but the 11r (and focusrite) taking it mono? this might explain the volume loss.

--------------------

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th November 2017 - 10:12 AM