Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How Does A Retarded Rock Guy Practice Changes?
Kristofer Dahl
post Nov 18 2016, 11:55 AM
Post #1

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 2

How does a retarded rock guy practice changes?

- Well he doesn't laugh.gif and if he must, he makes sure he can get away with pentatonics only!

On a more serious note - this backing might be useful in case you're looking to add more fusion to your style.

There are four key changes as indicated in the video. You can play the simple pentatonic scale on each one of them and it will sound great. I also played the minor scale.

As always when playing over changes you should try to find a nearby note when there is a change, or the flow will be interrupted. So knowing all five pentatonic boxes for each key will be useful.

This stuff is new to me as I am mostly a rock guy - but this specific backing track has really helped me.

Enjoy! (backing starts at 01:03)

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Nov 18 2016, 11:59 AM
Post #2

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 18.294

Cool, will try smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
post Nov 18 2016, 12:54 PM
Post #3

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 9.820

Great playing Kris, I like the backing too.

One thing I find about successfully navigating a change is that feeling of satisfaction you get, like you've done something really sophisticated biggrin.gif

Btw, do you find you gravitate towards your LP a lot these days?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
post Nov 18 2016, 01:25 PM
Post #4

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Nov 18 2016, 01:54 PM) *
Btw, do you find you gravitate towards your LP a lot these days?

Yes - it's my go to axe for really melodic stuff, since the sustain is unbeatable. It's also good when I find myself doing the same shred stuff over and over. Since it has such wide neck, it forces me into new territory (it's a positive limitation).

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Nov 18 2016, 01:54 PM) *
One thing I find about successfully navigating a change is that feeling of satisfaction you get, like you've done something really sophisticated biggrin.gif

For sure! Also the reason I am exploring changes right now - is because it opens up a new palette of colors I can't really get when jamming in the same key.

QUOTE (Mertay @ Nov 18 2016, 12:59 PM) *
Cool, will try smile.gif

Awesome!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
post Nov 18 2016, 02:40 PM
Post #5

Learning Tone Seeker

Group: Members
Member No.: 18.479

Awesome playing and the backing track sounds really great!!

I love that tasty part which starts from 0:22. I will definitely borrow this thing wink.gif Also I must recognize that I'm totally jealous on your hybrid picking...looks so natural biggrin.gif Lately I work very much at this technique but I can say that for me it's not a friendly one. I have to use an extra focus to play this in a good way.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
post Nov 18 2016, 03:00 PM
Post #6

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Nov 18 2016, 03:40 PM) *
Awesome playing and the backing track sounds really great!!

I love that tasty part which starts from 0:22. I will definitely borrow this thing wink.gif Also I must recognize that I'm totally jealous on your hybrid picking...looks so natural biggrin.gif Lately I work very much at this technique but I can say that for me it's not a friendly one. I have to use an extra focus to play this in a good way.

Thanks Monica. I always tell people to start using hybrid picking on the the non-technical parts (for example when you do slow bending in a solo). So that you don't introduce it as something complicated [to your mind and body].

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
post Nov 18 2016, 03:12 PM
Post #7

Experienced Guitar Lord

Member No.: 5.185

Nice as always Kris! I listen mostly to "normal rock/metal" stuff, so you are the "strange guitarist" for me, but this makes it refreshing and interesting every time:) "What unique sounds did Mr. Dahl produce this time?" wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
post Nov 18 2016, 03:20 PM
Post #8

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

QUOTE (Marek Rojewski @ Nov 18 2016, 04:12 PM) *
Nice as always Kris! I listen mostly to "normal rock/metal" stuff, so you are the "strange guitarist" for me, but this makes it refreshing and interesting every time:) "What unique sounds did Mr. Dahl produce this time?" wink.gif

Good point. I realise I might not sound like rock guy, but most of the theory I use is what any modern rock guitarist would use. That's what I was referring to. Thanks! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
post Nov 18 2016, 03:54 PM
Post #9

Learning Tone Seeker

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Nov 18 2016, 02:00 PM) *
Thanks Monica. I always tell people to start using hybrid picking on the the non-technical parts (for example when you do slow bending in a solo). So that you don't introduce it as something complicated [to your mind and body].

In non-technical parts works good for me. I feel this natural and sometimes I even not realize that I use the finger instead of pick. The problem comes in technical parts, when the tempo is faster, where the palm muting and the accents must be played only for some particular notes. In this kind of moments, I think it's much easy to play with my foot instead of playing hybrid picking biggrin.gif I'm really curious to see how long it will take (practicing every day/many hours) until I will feel a minuscule comfort for these technical parts.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Nov 18 2016, 06:07 PM
Post #10

GMC:er
Group Icon

Member No.: 8.794

Very cool to see someone with such an already sophisticated style push themselves in new directions. That backing is so spiff it's almost scary smile.gif

Todd

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
post Nov 18 2016, 07:49 PM
Post #11

Experienced Tone Seeker

Member No.: 14.292

yeah, that backing is brilliant. Great playing, Kris and such a tasty sound from that LP smile.gif
I'll def need to try and jam to this backing.

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
post Nov 20 2016, 01:30 PM
Post #12

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Nov 18 2016, 04:54 PM) *
In non-technical parts works good for me. I feel this natural and sometimes I even not realize that I use the finger instead of pick. The problem comes in technical parts, when the tempo is faster, where the palm muting and the accents must be played only for some particular notes. In this kind of moments, I think it's much easy to play with my foot instead of playing hybrid picking biggrin.gif I'm really curious to see how long it will take (practicing every day/many hours) until I will feel a minuscule comfort for these technical parts.

Ok so you are saying those faster parts are doable with normal picking but not with hybrid picking?

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 18 2016, 07:07 PM) *
Very cool to see someone with such an already sophisticated style push themselves in new directions. That backing is so spiff it's almost scary smile.gif

Todd

Thanks for the great words Todd

QUOTE (bleez @ Nov 18 2016, 08:49 PM) *
yeah, that backing is brilliant. Great playing, Kris and such a tasty sound from that LP smile.gif
I'll def need to try and jam to this backing.

Awesome!

It would really interesting to hear someone else try this backing. I still can't stop playing over it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
post Nov 20 2016, 05:29 PM
Post #13

Learning Tone Seeker

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Nov 20 2016, 12:30 PM) *
Ok so you are saying those faster parts are doable with normal picking but not with hybrid picking?

Exactly wink.gif
The good thing is that every day I can feel an improvement in my hybrid picking technique and this it's all that matter. Probably in few weeks I will become more confident with this technique but I'm sure I will still be jelous (of course in a very good way) on your hybrid picking smile.gif

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th August 2017 - 10:32 AM