> Floating Trems/springs/ibbys
Todd Simpson
post Nov 26 2016, 08:40 PM
Post #1

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

Recent questions prompt me to share a bit on springs/trems smile.gif I have two ibbys with 3 springs each on the trem. The newer the springs, the fewer I find I need. About a year after putting a 3 set in, I usually add 2 more for a 5 set. Then about a year later, start over with a new 3 set. I also screw the plate way in to the wood so that the trem is not flat but tilt's back just a bit. This is not "proper", this is custom. This is what works best for me as I use a very heavy palm mute quite often and an even float can tend to drift a bit to easy for my taste. it's a personal thing so everyone is different. Here are a couple of pix of my trem angle and springs smile.gif

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klasaine
post Nov 27 2016, 06:21 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 17.304

Fender Strats aren't too much different.
They usually come w/three springs attached but have two extra in the case.
I like my Strat bridges flush to the body and I use 4 springs. I 'offset' the fourth spring for just a touch more tension but not as much as five would give me.

Attached Image

Attached Image

This post has been edited by klasaine: Nov 27 2016, 06:24 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Nov 28 2016, 04:54 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

Solid advice, a cool spring setup and this is the "proper" way to do it folks. So that it's flush. I"m basically doing it wrong so that when I do a krushing palm mute my tune doesn't drift more than it has too. I keep about half a step of up swing on the trem and I have the screws nearly all the way in. So I don't use a standard "float". It's certainly not what I'd say everyone should use, but if you need a reference look at ken's! smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (klasaine @ Nov 27 2016, 01:21 PM) *
Fender Strats aren't too much different.
They usually come w/three springs attached but have two extra in the case.
I like my Strat bridges flush to the body and I use 4 springs. I 'offset' the fourth spring for just a touch more tension but not as much as five would give me.

Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
post Nov 28 2016, 05:14 AM
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 17.304

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 27 2016, 08:54 PM) *
Solid advice, a cool spring setup and this is the "proper" way to do it folks. So that it's flush. I"m basically doing it wrong so that when I do a krushing palm mute my tune doesn't drift more than it has too. I keep about half a step of up swing on the trem and I have the screws nearly all the way in. So I don't use a standard "float". It's certainly not what I'd say everyone should use, but if you need a reference look at ken's! smile.gif

Todd

As common as they are, 'standard' Strat bridges are potentially huge pains in the rear. They're not designed to really give any up bend (float) and when you do set them that way you get a handful of other problems - all related to tuning, muting and bending. The way I do it with the 4 springs and flush to the body is pretty common but ... the bar is tight and it's tough to dive bomb with it smoothly. I rarely dive but when I do want to, it's really not the right sound or feel. Compromise.

If you hate tuning issues and you like to tweak your gear you will find a way to make your trem bar, regardless of the type, work for you - and I guarantee it'll probably be a bit different than anyone elses.

*Jazzmaster and Jaguar trems are floating and a completely different mechanism than a standard Strat bridge. They're also very different from a Floyd or a Kahler style trem. In fact they really don't react and sound like like any of the above which makes those two guitars super unique.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Nov 28 2016, 05:19 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Nov 30 2016, 07:24 AM
Post #5

Group Icon

I hear ya. The floyd really is a different beast. I've got mine mostly tight on three springs but it still dives well and has about half a step of up pull. Everyone likes their setup a bit different due to variances in playing style so it does take a bit to get a floyd system dialed in which is why soooooooo many folks, especially new players just skip it and go hard tail smile.gif I've always LOVED floyd style trems for the handy flat muting surface so I prefer them.

Todd

QUOTE (klasaine @ Nov 28 2016, 12:14 AM) *
As common as they are, 'standard' Strat bridges are potentially huge pains in the rear. They're not designed to really give any up bend (float) and when you do set them that way you get a handful of other problems - all related to tuning, muting and bending. The way I do it with the 4 springs and flush to the body is pretty common but ... the bar is tight and it's tough to dive bomb with it smoothly. I rarely dive but when I do want to, it's really not the right sound or feel. Compromise.

If you hate tuning issues and you like to tweak your gear you will find a way to make your trem bar, regardless of the type, work for you - and I guarantee it'll probably be a bit different than anyone elses.

*Jazzmaster and Jaguar trems are floating and a completely different mechanism than a standard Strat bridge. They're also very different from a Floyd or a Kahler style trem. In fact they really don't react and sound like like any of the above which makes those two guitars super unique.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th August 2017 - 04:14 AM