> Finally Got My Old Laptop To Speed Up
Todd Simpson
post Dec 26 2016, 09:12 AM
Post #1

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

I added a 500 GB SSD (Solid State Drive, no moving parts) to my oldest laptop. A 2011, 13 inch, dual core i5. Not exactly a barn burner. This one change made it in to a new machine. It just screams. Apps launch right away, even huge apps like daws that I used to have to wait forever for. The boot process is crazy quick. If you are going to invest in your home studio. Put something in an SSD ASAP smile.gif Here is a little test screen grab of the performance. Read speeds 280 Megabytes (not megabits, 8 bits in a byte) and read speeds of 400 Megabytes per second! Here is a sandisk 480 gb ssd drive for $120. Pretty darn cheap considering the performance boost. Feels like a new machine. It has 16 gb of ram which is also darn cheap these days. For a machine that is 5 years old, it runs logic x with wads of plugins just fine. smile.gif https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F9G46Q8/ref=dp_cerb_2 Attached Image

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
post Dec 26 2016, 09:35 AM
Post #2

Learning Rock Star

Group: Members
Member No.: 5.298

Unfortunately a 500 GB SSD here is at least $200, if not at least $250. It's on my list for sure, but there are other things I'd rather own before upgrading my 80 GB SSD to a 500 one.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Dec 26 2016, 03:10 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 18.294

I'll also get one when making a new computer (probably next year), the old tech is good for archiveing though.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Dec 27 2016, 04:25 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

I've got a 250 GB SSD in one of my production laptops that just has the operating system and music related apps. It cost about $99. Best money I ever spent. I also have a bigger hard drive in it. A 500 gb slow drive that is fine for archiving and storing projects and such as Mertay mentioned smile.gif But I know money is always tight, believe me. It's good that ssd drives are on your list! It makes booting, waiting for apps to start, bit string libraries to load, a breeze. Todd P.S. OLA ENGLUND himself even gave the pic a like that I posted on instagram showing the new drive speeds. He's a big ssd fan as well.
Attached Image

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Dec 26 2016, 04:35 AM) *
Unfortunately a 500 GB SSD here is at least $200, if not at least $250. It's on my list for sure, but there are other things I'd rather own before upgrading my 80 GB SSD to a 500 one.

I tested my primary music production laptop with a bigger 960 GB drive that's a bit new and it hit the red line on read and write performance nearly 500 Megabytes per second. At that point, you could record about as many tracks of 192khz audio as you like and record HD video at the same time to the same drive.
Attached Image

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Dec 27 2016, 06:29 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd November 2017 - 04:52 AM