> Floor Processor With Color Touch Screen
Todd Simpson
post Feb 15 2017, 04:46 AM
Post #1

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

it's about time. In a day when evedryone has a color touch sreen on their phone, vendors are still sticking us with monochrome, non touch displays on our fx processors. Seems kinda silly imho. I know it's al about tone, but once tone is taken care of, how about adding something that should be there, like a color touch screen smile.gif The guys at HEADRUSH who bought the 11 rack tech and expanded on it with double amps/double cabs/ a killer control surface, and a COLOR TOUCH SCREEN, are headed in the right direction imho. I hope this spurs other vendors to finally follow their lead smile.gif Not a huge deal, but sure should be part of processors that cost more than my first car. If this cut rate unit can have one, the pricey ones can too smile.gif The more I see, the more I want one of these.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Feb 15 2017, 07:57 AM
Post #2

Learning Apprentice Player

Group: Members
Member No.: 19.975

Screen is a great idea but not so sure about the rest mate

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=743180

wink.gif

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Feb 16 2017, 01:35 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

Eh? Because the original crew isn't involved? Hmm. That doesn't throw me. They bought the tech. Then added what should be there, touch screen, dual amps, etc smile.gif Not to mention it's only running about $500. I love the tones on my 11 and I"d love to have dual amps/dual cabs like I do with my plugins. For the price it looks like it's going too be in a class by itself.

I"m really on about FRACTAL and KEMPER using monochrome screens. as for screens, screens are screens. Units costing over a grand should have a color touch screen IMHO smile.gif Simple as that. but that's just me smile.gif If I paid more than a grand for a device I'd sure want it to have one. Also, a software editor. Doesn't throw some folks off, but it would sure throw me off. Not to mention, the AXE FX only introduced USB recording with AXE FX II. I bought my 11 after watching Walliman do a straight up comparison on the presets with the axe and eleven. I liked the 11 tones just way better and it was way cheaper. Then again, I"m using a very old processor with only a few models on it. But it does sound nice smile.gif And has all the features, including XLR input so it can act as a full on audio interface as well.

Add dual cabs/amps, and color touch screen for $500 and I"m there smile.gif

P.S. PLEASE DO NOT TAKE OFFENSE if you are a FRACTAL or KEMPER owner. These are very nice devices in their own right. Their owners are loyal to them despite whatever flaws they have and I'm not making a personal attack on anyone for their choice of gear. After all I run a unit that is 5 years old and used when I bought it, so certainly not trying to have a p***ng contest. The bits that axe has lacked for years (usb recording, color screen) have not thrown off it's owners. Nor has the of the kemper (no software editor, high price) had a lack of fans. They are all spiff in their own right and enjoyed daily by throngs of folks.
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Feb 15 2017, 02:57 AM) *
Screen is a great idea but not so sure about the rest mate

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=743180

wink.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Feb 16 2017, 01:48 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rammikin
post Feb 16 2017, 02:49 AM
Post #4

Experienced Rock Star

Member No.: 11.529

Yes, the announcement of the Headrush at NAMM was rather suspicious, like they didn't want anybody to look too closely at it, and their claim about the original team working on it turned out to not be true. That might be a factor in why they added no new models compared to the original Eleven. That said, Akai has put this same touch screen on other products, so I have no doubt they'll be successful in adding it to the Eleven. That could be very useful for times you can't use the editor app. And the announced list price of $999 means this may get a lot of attention when it is released.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Feb 16 2017, 06:36 AM
Post #5

Group Icon

I heard they added new amps/cabs and fx? But the proof will be in the pudding smile.gif Thee company evidently bought m-audio which had married up to Avid a while back. So they own all the intellectual property evidently. It does all seem sketchy that they would come out of the blue. But still, for the price, i'd love to have an 11 with dual cabs/amps and a touch screen smile.gif

IMHO there really is no excuse for vendors not using color touch screens these days now that they are ubiquitous. The cost of such units are not significant. Not using them is more about maximizing profit imho, than anything else. I'm guessing everything will come with a color touch screen in coming NAMMs smile.gif

Also, I really think KEMPER is losing a MASSIVE amount of Market Share by not having a "non profling" product that can load profiles but not create them. Such a unit could be much smaller, much cheaper, and deepen their market penetration quite a bit IMHO. It might even fit in to a pedal. Imagine that. Every amp ever, and every cab, fitting in to a pedal that you could load profiles using your phone. Now that would be spiff smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Rammikin @ Feb 15 2017, 09:49 PM) *
Yes, the announcement of the Headrush at NAMM was rather suspicious, like they didn't want anybody to look too closely at it, and their claim about the original team working on it turned out to not be true. That might be a factor in why they added no new models compared to the original Eleven. That said, Akai has put this same touch screen on other products, so I have no doubt they'll be successful in adding it to the Eleven. That could be very useful for times you can't use the editor app. And the announced list price of $999 means this may get a lot of attention when it is released.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Feb 16 2017, 12:07 PM
Post #6

Learning Apprentice Player

Member No.: 19.975

I was thinking more about the trusting of the company now really Todd. They've made a few false claims but that's not to say the product is not good IF it's what they claim it to be wink.gif

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Grappa
post Feb 16 2017, 04:17 PM
Post #7

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 22.116

As a Kemper user I could take offence at this Todd!

Of course I'm not going to because you're absolutely right! smile.gif

The lack of colour display p****s me off a bit (and on the KP remote) and the lack of decent editor can be a right pain. I think it's overpriced as well for what it is in honesty in comparison to the competition.

Still I love it though and for me it's the best purchase I've made in years. If things got so bad I had to sell something my Bogner would go before the KPA and I never thought I'd ever say that!

Si

This post has been edited by Grappa: Feb 16 2017, 04:18 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Feb 16 2017, 05:50 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

I hear ya smile.gif Personally, I've never trusted or liked AVID, the original company behind the 11. But I like the 11 smile.gif I probably won't like the new company either. But so far it looks like I'll dig the product, time will tell smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Feb 16 2017, 07:07 AM) *
I was thinking more about the trusting of the company now really Todd. They've made a few false claims but that's not to say the product is not good IF it's what they claim it to be wink.gif

Glad you are not offended smile.gif The Kemper is an amazing bit of tech to be sure. Some folks don't seem to be able to look at it's feature set/lack of, with objectivity as they simply love the unit too much smile.gif My prized 11 has an orange monochrome screen, which I HATE. But I like the unit overall smile.gif

I do hope Kemper and Fractal both start listening to folks and fix the bits that could use fixing smile.gif Also, really hope kemper makes a non profiling kemper, that just loads profiles instead of making them. I don't have a wad of amps to profile. Wads of folks don't. So having a half kemper would be perfect smile.gif Then again, a kemper profile loading plugin would be great as well. Here is to hoping smile.gif

QUOTE (Grappa @ Feb 16 2017, 11:17 AM) *
As a Kemper user I could take offence at this Todd!

Of course I'm not going to because you're absolutely right! smile.gif

The lack of colour display p****s me off a bit (and on the KP remote) and the lack of decent editor can be a right pain. I think it's overpriced as well for what it is in honesty in comparison to the competition.

Still I love it though and for me it's the best purchase I've made in years. If things got so bad I had to sell something my Bogner would go before the KPA and I never thought I'd ever say that!

Si

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rammikin
post Feb 16 2017, 06:29 PM
Post #9

Experienced Rock Star

Member No.: 11.529

FWIW, while I agree very few Kemper owners use the profiling feature, I don't see how removing it would help make the unit any smaller or cheaper. That would be like expecting it to fit in a pedal and have a much lower cost just because they removed SPDIF output. It certainly wouldn't be "half a Kemper" smile.gif.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Feb 16 2017, 08:20 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

Well, for starters, the profiling part of the unit, and the hardware chips encoded for it, cost money. So removing that section from the unit, should reduce both the size and the cost the unit. Also, if we use an app for controlling the unit, instead of the knobs/display on the front, this entire panel and chip set could be eliminated. Not to mention the I/O set on the back. So two boards, wads of chips and I/O being cut out should cut the cost. Just guitar cable in/out, would do it smile.gif Run it to whatever power amp, combo amp, fx loop you like and bam.

Attached Image

This would greatly reduce the size and perhaps allow the unit to fit in a pedal form factor. All it really needs is a master volume and perhaps a few stomp switches to switch between presets. The rest, could easily be handled through an app. This would add the color touch screen without costing anything from kemper smile.gif

Further, if we don't need to store the burnt in programming for profiling, we lower the hardware requirements a bit. All we need is the ability to load profiles for what I'm talking about, so just the main cpu/logic board. Which is pretty small.
Attached Image

It's a common modular unit that can be replaced in the current kemper. I'm guessing they kept it modular to allow for future upgrades.

So yeah, if we get rid of the rest of it, just use the loader/player feature, have a few foot switches to go between patches, I'd say we could significantly reduce per unit cost.

However, kemper doesn't seem interested in "budget" kempers. They like charging what they charge and make good money doing so, it's probably not going to happen sad.gif Shame really, as they could gain a much larger market share imho by offering a playback kemper in addition to the full on profiler.

So it's the playback half smile.gif Without the profile half. That's how I'm getting "Half a kemper".

EDIT: After searching the Kemper forums, it seems this idea of a "Playback only" kemper has come up before, a few times, along with the idea of a kemper VST/plugin. Sadly, both of these are probably not gonna happen. NAMM came and went without even a software editor being announced, much less anything else like what I'm talking about. Also, kemper has a "long hardware cycle" of around 15 years according to kemper forum guy "G-String" who is on staff, though I don't know who he is. So the main unit is not likely to change that much. Looks like it's just wishful thinking on my part and many kemper owners.
QUOTE (Rammikin @ Feb 16 2017, 01:29 PM) *
FWIW, while I agree very few Kemper owners use the profiling feature, I don't see how removing it would help make the unit any smaller or cheaper. That would be like expecting it to fit in a pedal and have a much lower cost just because they removed SPDIF output. It certainly wouldn't be "half a Kemper" smile.gif .

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Feb 16 2017, 09:07 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st August 2017 - 03:09 PM