2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ibanez Prestige Rg652k, Anyone have this axe?
AK Rich
post Feb 28 2017, 05:44 PM
Post #1

Learning Guitar Hero

Group: Members
Member No.: 13.839

This guitar popped up on craigslist today. I am thinking about taking it for a test drive. Anyone have one of these or can share what they know about this model, good or bad? Thanks!

https://anchorage.craigslist.org/msg/6022451050.html

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Feb 28 2017, 10:08 PM
Post #2

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

It's certainly got the right neck and it's a prestige. So it's pretty much the top of the line other than the LA custom shop. Looks like a fair price considering how new it is. I'd still say play it first and make sure the guy didn't put 11 gauge strings on it and warp the paper thin neck.

Todd

QUOTE (AK Rich @ Feb 28 2017, 12:44 PM) *
This guitar popped up on craigslist today. I am thinking about taking it for a test drive. Anyone have one of these or can share what they know about this model, good or bad? Thanks!

https://anchorage.craigslist.org/msg/6022451050.html

--------------------

+Quote Post
AK Rich
post Feb 28 2017, 10:26 PM
Post #3

Learning Guitar Hero

I hear you about the neck. I am going to meet with the seller tonight and give her a whirl! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Mar 1 2017, 06:33 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Let us know how it goes smile.gif Make sure the action is low and that the B string doesn't fret out. Sure sign that the neck has started to warp a pinch. Those necks are the bees knees imho. smile.gif I hope it's in good shape! Would be a great catch IMHO.

Todd

QUOTE (AK Rich @ Feb 28 2017, 05:26 PM) *
I hear you about the neck. I am going to meet with the seller tonight and give her a whirl! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
AK Rich
post Mar 1 2017, 06:34 PM
Post #5

Learning Guitar Hero

This thread is now classified NGD! Never have I played on a neck this thin, so far this axe is amazing to me but I want to bring the action down just a touch more. The guitar is in mint condition, was rarely played and is a 2015 model. It still has the strings on it that it was shipped with. biggrin.gif
The owner was a really cool guy. I spent a good hour there playing guitar and talking guitars and music among other things with him. He was a really good country style hybrid picker, and had a pretty nice collection of Fenders (Strat, Tele, P-bass, banjo) all with the same wood, and clear coat finish.

http://www.ibanez.com/products/u_eg_detail...&color=CL01

Here are a couple shots of her at home.
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Mar 1 2017, 08:54 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 18.294

Congrats!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Mar 2 2017, 01:27 AM
Post #7

Group Icon

Super congrats! That is an Ibby among Ibby's. That neck is as good as Ibby makes em IMHO. Smooth as butter. Thin as paper. Just don't put 10's or 11's on it smile.gif It will distort the neck a bit and create more neck relief that you will have to fight with the truss rod creating needless tension on the neck. But that's just me smile.gif Necks that thin respond to 9s or even 8s

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rammikin
post Mar 2 2017, 02:51 AM
Post #8

Experienced Rock Star

Member No.: 11.529

I wouldn't be surprised if the five piece neck allows you to put heavier gauge strings on it. But it's obviously a shredder, so I'm not sure you'd want to smile.gif. I use the same Tone Zone/Air Norton combination. You scored a real beauty there!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Mar 2 2017, 04:40 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

The five piece was a development to stop the warpage that was going on with early wizard one necks that rate 17mm at the nut. In other words, so thin it's freaky to play them. They almost play themselves. KRIS has a similar neck profile on his freaky new ibby which I must admit I covet smile.gif

Even with the five piece, the higher the gauge, the more stress on the neck, and the more you need to use the truss to counteract neck relief due to string stress resulting in higher string tension and a bit less expressive of an instrument IMHO. Those are some of the most expressive instruments ever built for their ability to give the player the ultimate control over vibrato and bending due to very light tension on the strings.

Putting heavy gauge on it is the equivalent of burning a filet mignon IMHO, but again, that's just me smile.gif It's your guitar so put 12s on it if the mood strikes you. Just sharing a bit of history and experience smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Rammikin @ Mar 1 2017, 09:51 PM) *
I wouldn't be surprised if the five piece neck allows you to put heavier gauge strings on it. But it's obviously a shredder, so I'm not sure you'd want to smile.gif . I use the same Tone Zone/Air Norton combination. You scored a real beauty there!

--------------------

+Quote Post
AK Rich
post Mar 2 2017, 05:42 PM
Post #10

Learning Guitar Hero

Thanks guys! This guitar is fantastic! I spent a few hours getting to know her yesterday and I gotta say, as good as this thing sounded through the previous owners little fender amp that I tried it out on, it sounds 10 times better through my Rockerverb! I am really loving the Tone Zone and Air Norton pickups. I was a bit worried that it would be a straight up metal shredder guitar but instead I found it to be a very versatile instrument. Sure, it is a shredder guitar all day every day but it is far from a one trick pony!

I couldn't get over how great it sounded on the clean channel while going through all the pup configurations. I see no reason why someone couldn't play any style of music on it. One switch position back from the bridge pickup and you get a beautiful mix of a single coil from each pickup which sounds great for some bluesy tones but it really sounds great in all switch positions. I probably played for an hour and a half without even touching an overdrive or going to the dirty channel of the amp.

And then things got dirty. I have a few different overdrives that I played it through, Tube screamer, MXR 5150 overdrive, Bax Bangeetar and also the dirty channel of the amp by itself, and while there was something great coming from each of the overdrives, to me so far it sounded the best just going straight through the dirty channel of the amp.
Shred much? oh hell yeah! cool.gif This neck is incredible! The back of the primarily maple neck is unfinished and super slippery so there is no need to buff it with an abrasive pad like I do on my S-470 to keep it slippery.

No need to worry about tweaking the neck with a thicker string set. I have been using Super Slinkys for as long as I can remember. I have tried other brands and gauges in the past but I always end up going back the the familiar pink pack of Ernie Ball's.

This guitar is easily the finest instrument I have ever had the pleasure of playing , much less owning. I am glad that I saw it the day it was posted and immediately set up a meeting with the seller. By the time I got out there to check it out there were 3 other guys that wanted to see it. They never had a chance! Mwahahahaaa! ph34r.gif

This post has been edited by AK Rich: Mar 2 2017, 06:19 PM

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Mar 2 2017, 07:59 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

QUOTE (AK Rich @ Mar 2 2017, 04:42 PM) *

biggrin.gif

I'm very happy for you as the guitar is not only beautiful but sounds good too smile.gif

Something for you to try when you have time; combine an OD you have+the dirty channel of the amp. For the OD setting, select tonezone and search for OD pedal setting that makes the TZ sound like a neck PU when picked soft and Bridge-like when picked hard. Select jazziii or petrucci pick for starters.

This is sort of the deal of tonezone and why its so commonly found on 1 PU shred guitars. I don't like runnings scales with it but it has a wah-like controllable quality to its sound that really sings with extreme solo tones.

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 2 2017, 03:40 PM) *

I haven't heard of warping for a long time to be honest but yeah its wise to be careful. Also in my experience, with smaller string gauges the necks setuped/natural curve lets the string to be lowered more compared to heavy gauges.

This post has been edited by Mertay: Mar 2 2017, 07:55 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rammikin
post Mar 2 2017, 08:34 PM
Post #12

Experienced Rock Star

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 2 2017, 03:40 PM) *
The five piece was a development to stop the warpage that was going on with early wizard one necks that rate 17mm at the nut.

I believe Mertay is right. AFAIK, the five piece neck has nothing to do with warpage in early models. It is simply a deluxe feature that Ibanez offers on Prestige models. Maybe you're thinking of the volute which Ibanez introduced at one point to strengthen the wizard neck at the nut?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Mar 3 2017, 03:29 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

It's a bit of Ibby history. The Bubinga Stripe was initially added to support the neck and prevent warpage. Then they just started using THICKer neck profiles on their cheaper instruments. thicker necks don't warp nearly as often. But on the pricey models, like the one rich has, the 5 piece neck was specifically constructed to allow for stronger woods to be used on stress points on the neck so keep it from warping. Otherwise, they could just use a single piece of wood, like on the original wizard 1 neck, which I have. Those necks were prone to warpage which is why finding a vintage wizard 1 neck with zero warp is getting more and more difficult.

As a certified Ibby nut, I've traced the development of the Ibby neck profile for a couple of decades now, after falling in love the the RG560 many years ago. So yeah, it's about making a very thin neck, much stronger than it could be with a single piece of wood smile.gif

The simple fact is that if a 1 piece neck is not perfectly quarter or flat sawn its natural response will be to twist. So using the 5 piece method reduces the chance of warpage. It creates a sort of sandwich of layers with the really strong wood in the middle, as in this pic.

Attached Image

QUOTE (Rammikin @ Mar 2 2017, 03:34 PM) *
I believe Mertay is right. AFAIK, the five piece neck has nothing to do with warpage in early models. It is simply a deluxe feature that Ibanez offers on Prestige models. Maybe you're thinking of the volute which Ibanez introduced at one point to strengthen the wizard neck at the nut?

The five way pickup switch is killer. It allows you get single coil tones that are really great. So the instrument is as versatile as heck. More versatile than the HSS models imho since they can use double coils on the neck position or singles. So it's got just wads of tonal options. Those pups are the perfect balance IMHO with enough gain to shred, but pull back just a pinch using the volume knob and they go mid/low gain with style. Just a great guitar smile.gif

QUOTE (AK Rich @ Mar 2 2017, 12:42 PM) *
Thanks guys! This guitar is fantastic! I spent a few hours getting to know her yesterday and I gotta say, as good as this thing sounded through the previous owners little fender amp that I tried it out on, it sounds 10 times better thro..! ph34r.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Mar 3 2017, 03:50 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
AK Rich
post Mar 3 2017, 04:53 PM
Post #14

Learning Guitar Hero

QUOTE (Mertay @ Mar 2 2017, 10:59 AM) *
biggrin.gif

I'm very happy for you as the guitar is not only beautiful but sounds good too smile.gif

Something for you to try when you have time; combine an OD you have+the dirty channel of the amp. For the OD setting, select tonezone and search for OD pedal setting that makes the TZ sound like a neck PU when picked soft and Bridge-like when picked hard. Select jazziii or petrucci pick for starters.

This is sort of the deal of tonezone and why its so commonly found on 1 PU shred guitars. I don't like runnings scales with it but it has a wah-like controllable quality to its sound that really sings with extreme solo tones.

Thanks Mertay! Experimenting with rolling back the volume knob is something that I haven't had the chance to do yet with this guitar. I took it to my local shop yesterday for a setup and restring. As far as I could tell while playing it, there is not going to be much, if any adjustment needed for the intonation so bringing the string action down a bit and some new strings are probably the main reasons for the visit to the tech.
I'll most likely get it back today and try out your suggestion, Thanks for the tip!

+Quote Post
Rammikin
post Mar 3 2017, 08:51 PM
Post #15

Experienced Rock Star

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 3 2017, 02:29 PM) *
It's a bit of Ibby history.

Nice summary. Thanks.

--------------------

+Quote Post
AK Rich
post Mar 4 2017, 04:52 PM
Post #16

Learning Guitar Hero

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 28 2017, 01:08 PM) *
It's certainly got the right neck and it's a prestige. So it's pretty much the top of the line other than the LA custom shop. Looks like a fair price considering how new it is. I'd still say play it first and make sure the guy didn't put 11 gauge strings on it and warp the paper thin neck.

Todd

Speaking of the custom shop axes. rolleyes.gif

https://anchorage.craigslist.org/msg/6009911008.html

+Quote Post
Rammikin
post Mar 4 2017, 05:52 PM
Post #17

Experienced Rock Star

QUOTE (AK Rich @ Mar 4 2017, 03:52 PM) *

Yikes! That's a beauty. He isn't quite right in calling it a custom shop guitar though. The J-Custom line is production guitars, albeit very high quality. The custom shop guitars on the other hand are custom, one of a kind, guitars.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Mar 6 2017, 05:27 PM
Post #18

Group Icon

Always happy to talk shop on Ibby's and Ibby necks smile.gif Bit of a fanboy.

Todd

QUOTE (Rammikin @ Mar 3 2017, 03:51 PM) *
Nice summary. Thanks.

Well said!! This is a very fine point of notice that not everyone would see straight away. The J-Customs are in fact production guitars made in the same style as the original RGXXX line which have every neck finished by hand, in japan, by luthiers who know their stuff. This labor is NOT cheap. Thus the prices are high. They are AMAZING guitars and I still have several on my bucket list.

However, a "CUSTOM SHOP" guitar has to come from L.A. as the LACS is the only custom shop currently producing in quantity. As MERTAY pointed out, they now have a new CUSTOM SHOP IN JAPAN!!! To compete with ESP no doubt who has quite a large following in Japan. This will allow Ibby artists based in Japan to work with luthiers to make their custom guitars with having to cross the ocean. I dearly hope some of those guitars make it over here smile.gif I have yet to see any models mentioned as coming from that shop yet though.

The LACS guitars are nearly legendary. Simply the best of the best. For Ibby nuts, it's a life long dream to even play one, much less own one. Yet another item on my bucket list smile.gif

On a side note, we can thank Steve Vai for requiring the low B and a 7 string floyd, which did not exist at the time of request. Then we can thank meshuggah for request the low F# and an 8 string floyd which had to be created by cutting two 6 string floyds apart and welding bits together to make a 8 string floyd. This was before floyd got on board with it and started making new molds for 8 string versions. They initially said it was not possible but it appears they were wrong as we have 8 string Floyds in several guitars now built by ibanez.

Todd

QUOTE (Rammikin @ Mar 4 2017, 12:52 PM) *
Yikes! That's a beauty. He isn't quite right in calling it a custom shop guitar though. The J-Custom line is production guitars, albeit very high quality. The custom shop guitars on the other hand are custom, one of a kind, guitars.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rammikin
post Mar 6 2017, 06:55 PM
Post #19

Experienced Rock Star

I'm almost embarrassed to admit it, but I own an LA Custom Shop Ibanez. It's sort of an early prototype of what became the RGA, with a nicely carved top. It has a piezo pickup in the bridge and the neck is a bit flatter than the normal 430mm radius Ibanez uses. It plays and sounds like a dream. I have to be careful not to get used to it since it will spoil me for other guitars, so I only pull it out on special occasions.

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Mar 6 2017, 07:36 PM
Post #20

Group Icon

QUOTE (Rammikin @ Mar 6 2017, 05:55 PM) *
Attached Image

GMC'ers has serious guitars ohmy.gif

This post has been edited by Mertay: Mar 6 2017, 07:36 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th November 2017 - 07:56 AM