Fun Paul Gilbert Tip
JVM
Aug 3 2007, 05:04 AM
Learning Roadie
Check out this video, it's a really simple kind of tip but awesome. I encourage everyone to check it out.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FCojcP_6AkI

Discuss!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hungus
Aug 3 2007, 05:22 AM
GMC:er
Im really not a fan of shred at all (to be honest I think its pretty lame) but this is a pretty awesome lesson, cheers for that dude smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
ibanezkiller
Aug 3 2007, 05:29 AM
amazing... thats going to be added to my practice sessions!!!!!!!

--------------------
METALLICA ROCKS!

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Aug 3 2007, 05:33 AM
Dude thats an awesome lesson thanks smile.gif Paul is a great guitarist.BTW i have always thought that the people that say shred is lame just say it because they dont have the talent to play it.Not saying that to be mean or disrespect i just feel any musician that is really into guitar couldnt call one of the hardest styles of guitar lame.Thanks again for the cool video smile.gif

This post has been edited by shredmandan: Aug 3 2007, 05:34 AM

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
JVM
Aug 3 2007, 05:34 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Hungus @ Aug 2 2007, 10:22 PM) *
Im really not a fan of shred at all (to be honest I think its pretty lame) but this is a pretty awesome lesson, cheers for that dude smile.gif

I usually agree about the shred (with some exceptions) but this is part of the reason why paul is one of my favorite shredders. And despite shred not being my favorite kind of playing, I do intend to be able to do it just so that I'm able to play whatever I want smile.gif

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Aug 3 2007, 05:36 AM
QUOTE (JVM @ Aug 3 2007, 12:34 AM) *
I usually agree about the shred (with some exceptions) but this is part of the reason why paul is one of my favorite shredders. And despite shred not being my favorite kind of playing, I do intend to be able to do it just so that I'm able to play whatever I want smile.gif

Awesome point smile.gif
It doesnt have to be what you always play but if you have the talent to do it you can do anything

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
JVM
Aug 3 2007, 05:36 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (shredmandan @ Aug 2 2007, 10:33 PM) *
Dude thats an awesome lesson thanks smile.gif Paul is a great guitarist.BTW i have always thought that the people that say shred is lame just say it because they dont have the talent to play it.Not saying that to be mean or disrespect i just feel any musician that is really into guitar couldnt call one of the hardest styles of guitar lame.Thanks again for the cool video smile.gif

I think paul summed up the main reason why I dislike most shred (even though I love vai, satch, some malmsteen, and plenty of others): because a lot of shredders seem to somehow forget about rhythm.

QUOTE (shredmandan @ Aug 2 2007, 10:36 PM) *
Awesome point smile.gif
It doesnt have to be what you always play but if you have the talent to do it you can do anything

That's the second time you've posted while I was typing tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hungus
Aug 3 2007, 07:18 AM
QUOTE (shredmandan @ Aug 3 2007, 04:33 PM) *

I think you read that the wrong way. I have respect for the dedication and work it takes to become a fast shredder. What I meant was I hate listening to it. I really dont like the sound of it at all. I have never even watched a whole youtube video of it. But that doesnt mean I dont think it doesnt take skill. I think you should be alittle less deffensive and maybe keep your comments about peoples talent to yourself.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
dynamite_dude
Aug 3 2007, 12:05 PM
I believe this is from Total Guitar [UK Guitar mag], so if you're going to try to look-up more.. there you have it.

--------------------
LTD EC-1000
Ibanez RG2550E

Roland Cube 30

+Quote Post
Amarok
Aug 3 2007, 12:07 PM
Great Video, i don't like shredd too, but this thing is realy groovy.

--------------------
She’s a ‘59 Stratocaster, and she, I’ve always called her my first wife. She don’t talk back to me…she talks for me. You know? She don’t scream at me….she screams for me.
Stevie Ray Vaughan

+Quote Post
Pavel
Aug 3 2007, 12:16 PM
Instructor
Actually what Paul wants to say is that fitting musical phrase in a rhythm is important. By playing using sequences - this is especially useful in shredding - you can't go out of rhythm. Just check my AP lessons and you'll see i always have the end of the phrase (which can be 1 sequence or 5 sequences). That is because i always have a metronome in my head. You doesn't have to have a drum beat - just simply count like you have a metronome and you'll never go out of drumbeat or rhythm.

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Aug 3 2007, 12:38 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Another worth looking at for rhythmic lead Chic and Slash.

I started guitar life as a rhythm guitarist and the rule used to be that timing and the ability to play the groove was all important. Funk here is a great way to learn how to play groove and Nile Rogers/Chic are awesome - Chic - Good Times.

Anyone wanting to learn the style - good one to start with is Doobie Brothers Long Train Coming.

And it's why playing to a metronome is so important.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Salivtomte
Aug 3 2007, 01:05 PM
cool, thats usefull, I do this with clean sound all the time, but this gave som new ideas. thanks for sharing with us'

+Quote Post
Robin
Aug 3 2007, 02:43 PM
Paul Gilbert is the only shredder I like, he is so awesome. Great lesson thanks.

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Aug 4 2007, 11:18 AM
Lets go fishing!
Great Lesson JVM. It came with the total Guitar shred special where paul agreed to record a series of lessons. It came with a bunch of PG video lessons like this and musical notation in the mag! well worth getting hold off smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 05:53 AM