Power/current Filtering On Stage, request for european firends
Darius Wave
Apr 3 2017, 08:35 PM
Instructor
Hey there!

As we all know some of our gear is more or less sensitive for any noise comming from power supply. For example buzzing while stage lights are on. I don't mean any kind of groud loops or noisy suppliers themselfs. Let's consider the problem being "unhealthy" AC on stage or in the rehearsal room. Let's consider everything in the rig is perfectly wired and electrically proper.

I know Furman does make power conditioners but aside from the price for a mobile, "self-employeed" musician the size makes the difference.

My request is...

DO YOU KNOW ANY CHEAP AND LITTLE power filters/conditioners?

I know that one U.S company makes a thing called HUM X and it totally solves the problem, but....I need 230V and they only make 110V for U.S market.

Maybe some of you know any alternatives that same, as hum x, are sized not much bigger than a phone power charger?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 3 2017, 09:17 PM
GMC:er
"Hum X", in my experience actually doesn't work most of the time for filtering bad AC.

Furman does make a compact, 2 outlet version of their high-end power conditioner, the AC-215. Don't know about European availability.
http://www.furmanpower.com/product/15a-two...itioner-AC-215A

Tripp-lite Isobar (again, not sure of EU availability) makes great industrial power filtering/conditioning devices.
https://www.tripplite.com/isobar-4-outlet-2...0-joules~EURO4/

*I've had good luck with these in both clubs and on stage where the power is questionable.
The power in my neighborhood is 'questionable' and I use the Tripplite isobars in my practice studio.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by klasaine: Apr 3 2017, 09:17 PM

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Apr 4 2017, 08:41 AM
Learning Roadie
Funnily enough I work for a company that makes everything from Surge protectors to 3 phase UPS.
You can get an 8 outlet extension with Surge protection and RFI and EMI filtering which will help a little and is cheap
http://www.apc.com/shop/pl/pl/categories/p...tchCountry=true
and maybe enough, but ideally you want to have something that gives you isolated power and that is usually part of a UPS device which would be much more expensive.

It's a shame venues don't have great electrics with a specific circuit for sound equipment.

Thomann might have similar to the 8 outlet extension in a rack format.

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Apr 4 2017, 10:32 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (klasaine @ Apr 3 2017, 08:17 PM) *
"Hum X", in my experience actually doesn't work most of the time for filtering bad AC.

Furman does make a compact, 2 outlet version of their high-end power conditioner, the AC-215. Don't know about European availability.
http://www.furmanpower.com/product/15a-two...itioner-AC-215A

Thx for the feedback. I had no opportunity to test hum x by far. My interest is based on information and user reviews from the internet. Your info is priceless - a kind of critical to pass on this device

2-outlet furman is what I have found the best choice by far. Has been on top of my list before writting the post. I was hoping maybe someone could advice something even smaller but I do realize I may end up buying that particular furman model.

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Apr 4 2017, 07:41 AM) *
Funnily enough I work for a company that makes everything from Surge protectors to 3 phase UPS.
You can get an 8 outlet extension with Surge protection and RFI and EMI filtering which will help a little and is cheap
and maybe enough, but ideally you want to have something that gives you isolated power and that is usually part of a UPS device which would be much more expensive.

It's a shame venues don't have great electrics with a specific circuit for sound equipment.

Thanx for your input. I will definitely get into details with those devices as well. The price is in fact worth the interest

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 4 2017, 02:44 PM
The Hum X is just a glorified ground loop eliminator/isolator. 'If' you're running two amps and one of them is noisy due to ground loop problems - the humx can help that. That's really the only thing it works with. It doesn't filter bad power.
Tripplite makes a 2 outlet surge protec/filter that plugs into the wall. It's about the size of a Boss pedal. https://www.tripplite.com/isobar-2-outlet-s...ight~ISOBLOK20/
It may also be available in the EU. Obviously check if they have a Euro website.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Apr 4 2017, 03:00 PM

+Quote Post
Anese
Apr 5 2017, 10:06 AM
Learning Roadie

Thank you Darius and all the other members for bringing up this topic

Please allow me to take the opportunity and mention a similar issue which i faced a while back.

I usually play my guitar through my sound interface which is connected to my Desktop, and on that set up I have no problems at all.

But when i run my sound interface through my macbook i hear a hiss when i connect the charger, once I remove the charger there is no hiss. and this hiss only comes up only when I run guitar sims such as Amplitube or GuitarRig, there's no hiss when I play media files..etc

I remember when I did a search everybody was recommending the X-hum but I forgot about once i read that it's only
compatible with 110 V , and they dont make similar device for 220 V.

can this issue be solved by the recommended options above ? if yes, is there any cheaper options for my problem ?

and what's the problem exactly? is it ground loops ? and if it's ground loops why it only occur when I connect the Macbook
how come everything is ok on my Desktop ?

Thanks

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Apr 5 2017, 01:50 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Anese @ Apr 5 2017, 09:06 AM) *
Thank you Darius and all the other members for bringing up this topic

Please allow me to take the opportunity and mention a similar issue which i faced a while back.

I usually play my guitar through my sound interface which is connected to my Desktop, and on that set up I have no problems at all.

But when i run my sound interface through my macbook i hear a hiss when i connect the charger, once I remove the charger there is no hiss. and this hiss only comes up only when I run guitar sims such as Amplitube or GuitarRig, there's no hiss when I play media files..etc

I remember when I did a search everybody was recommending the X-hum but I forgot about once i read that it's only
compatible with 110 V , and they dont make similar device for 220 V.

can this issue be solved by the recommended options above ? if yes, is there any cheaper options for my problem ?

and what's the problem exactly? is it ground loops ? and if it's ground loops why it only occur when I connect the Macbook
how come everything is ok on my Desktop ?

Thanks

Yes actually this issue can be solved with hum x. That's one of sure situation when it works but same as you for me 110V version has no point so I was looking for any solutions...and of course the biggest satisfaction is when you can find something that wokrs and is affordable.
For laptop-interface issue you can first try to by power strip with EMI/RFI filter. Try to connect the notebook through this strip and your PC/interface directly to "the wall". This is very first and less expensive way to try out. I'll let you know if I find anything similar for RTV/audio purpose for deviced powerded with 230V

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 5 2017, 04:24 PM
QUOTE (Anese @ Apr 5 2017, 02:06 AM) *

Many (most) consumer grade power supplies can introduce noise into a signal chain.
Any and all types of 'digital switching' power supplies are the worst offenders.

I doubt the Hum X would fix your hiss problem. The Hum X is a ground loop remover that (in the states) removes 60 cycle hum. The hiss or a high pitched 'whine' is something completely different (regardless of where you live). Sometimes it's referred to as 'coil noise' or 'coil whine'. ANY transformer (or inductor) can cause coil noise. The cheaper and more generic, the more apt they are to do it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coil_noise

From the Eb-Tech (humx) website ... "The Hum X filters out unwanted low voltage from the ground line that causes hum and buzz while maintaining the ground. Simply place the Hum X on the end of the power cord of the equipment that has (or is creating) ground loop hum and plug the Hum X in to the wall outlet. Ground Loop is gone and audio signal remains intact. Easy to use, easy to install and completely effective."

This post has been edited by klasaine: Apr 5 2017, 06:05 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 5 2017, 09:06 PM
Well done there! APC stuff is top notch IMHO and I"ve got one myself in rack form as non-interuptable power supply. Sturdy and solid. If you can get them in European spec then BAM! smile.gif I love the Furhman stuff too. Same goes for them if they come in Euro Spec.

Never heard of these guys but it's euro spec and a bit smaller.

http://www.apitech.com/products/16-amp-power-filter

Attached Image

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Apr 4 2017, 03:41 AM) *

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Apr 5 2017, 09:09 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th March 2024 - 07:36 AM