> Kicking The Habit
DeGroot
post Apr 16 2017, 08:27 PM
Post #21

Experienced Guitar Hero

Group: Members
Member No.: 14.899

QUOTE (AK Rich @ Apr 16 2017, 03:28 PM) *
Your story about your brother reminds me of something I noticed with the vape shop employees. Some of them cling on to those vapes almost like it is a vital organ or something of the kind. If I smoked cigarettes as much as some of those guys vape, I think I would be smoking 3 packs a day or more. It even seems like to some of them that it is a competition to see who can make the biggest clouds of vapor and some have a little routine of vapor tricks and such that they will perform. I am not sure how some of them can afford it since the cost of vaping is definitely greater than the cost of smoking when you vape the way some of these guys do. Some of the vaporizers are over $100 easily and the juice is $20 for a 12 mg bottle. Then there are batteries, chargers, modifications to the coils or replacement coils, custom tanks, customization's for the looks, hundreds of e-juice flavors etc etc. I can see it getting to be a pretty expensive hobby/habit if one was to get carried away.

I know a couple of guys that fit that description at work. laugh.gif

Also reminds me of when my brother dropped his vape pen into a lake off a dock. Never had much of a chance of finding it but he did search long and hard. Thats when I found out how much a vape pen could cost.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
verciazghra
post Apr 16 2017, 09:19 PM
Post #22

GMC:er

Member No.: 18.475

I don't think substitutes like that really work. The only way to quit smoking for me was to build entirely new habits and reshape my whole life. I started first thing in the morning, instead of smoking, go for a run. After that I had to occupy myself with things which I didn't normally do so I didn't trigger a smoking habit. I started exercising a lot which kinda gives you the same release of chemicals as smoking does. After a few months of doing this I could still feel like I wanted to smoke at times. In fact I bought two packets at different times and smoked about half of a cigarette each time. But I always threw away the packs even before I started smoking. I expected to enjoy it but I didn't. I realized then that I wasn't really enjoying smoking at all rather I enjoyed the mental pause with deep breaths. So I started running even more and even meditating. Many small things added up and quitting smoking lead to me having a better life overall. I have since then gotten rid of the following Sugar, Alcohol, Caffeine, Aspartame, other types of sweeteners like Sucralose, and am living a complete straight-edge life filled with more pleasurable chemicals in my brain than ever. I feel better and I enjoy my life more. I still have addictions though, I'm addicted to skateboarding, running, exercise, memorization practice, and video games. Video games is something I'm working on limiting more as well...

Well that wall of text probably doesn't help anyone.... Sorry.

--------------------
"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." -Leonard Bernstein

"The only love affair I have ever had was with music." -Maurice Ravel

"There's no such place as dumb question." -Dose One

+Quote Post
AK Rich
post Apr 17 2017, 04:40 PM
Post #23

Learning Guitar Hero

Member No.: 13.839

QUOTE (verciazghra @ Apr 16 2017, 12:19 PM) *
I don't think substitutes like that really work. The only way to quit smoking for me was to build entirely new habits and reshape my whole life. I started first thing in the morning, instead of smoking, go for a run. After that I had to occupy myself with things which I didn't normally do so I didn't trigger a smoking habit. I started exercising a lot which kinda gives you the same release of chemicals as smoking does. After a few months of doing this I could still feel like I wanted to smoke at times. In fact I bought two packets at different times and smoked about half of a cigarette each time. But I always threw away the packs even before I started smoking. I expected to enjoy it but I didn't. I realized then that I wasn't really enjoying smoking at all rather I enjoyed the mental pause with deep breaths. So I started running even more and even meditating. Many small things added up and quitting smoking lead to me having a better life overall. I have since then gotten rid of the following Sugar, Alcohol, Caffeine, Aspartame, other types of sweeteners like Sucralose, and am living a complete straight-edge life filled with more pleasurable chemicals in my brain than ever. I feel better and I enjoy my life more. I still have addictions though, I'm addicted to skateboarding, running, exercise, memorization practice, and video games. Video games is something I'm working on limiting more as well...

Well that wall of text probably doesn't help anyone.... Sorry.

Hey Verc! No worries man, it's an interesting story. It seems you have had a pretty rough time in quitting smoking. Hopefully we won't have as hard of a time as you seem to have had. I know it will be tough to quit and turn away from what really has been a lifestyle for a long time.
So far though, everything seems to be going pretty well and things are actually easier than I expected at this point. Stacie and I both are already feeling better from not smoking in the last week. The vapes have helped us eliminate most of the things that are bad about smoking almost instantly. The nicotine intake has already been cut in half and the time we spend using the vape is quite a bit less than the time we used to spend smoking cigarettes. Stacie tried to cheat yesterday and lit up a smoke only to gag on it and put it out right away.
Soon we will be out of the e-juice with 6mg of nicotine and we will try to cut that in half by getting some that has a 3mg of nicotine avg. Maybe we have a long way to go before we can be nicotine free but then again, maybe not. I remain optimistic that this will work and in some ways I believe that it already has to some extent.

+Quote Post
verciazghra
post Apr 17 2017, 11:56 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 18.475

QUOTE (AK Rich @ Apr 17 2017, 03:40 PM) *
Hey Verc! No worries man, it's an interesting story. It seems you have had a pretty rough time in quitting smoking. Hopefully we won't have as hard of a time as you seem to have had. I know it will be tough to quit and turn away from what really has been a lifestyle for a long time.
So far though, everything seems to be going pretty well and things are actually easier than I expected at this point. Stacie and I both are already feeling better from not smoking in the last week. The vapes have helped us eliminate most of the things that are bad about smoking almost instantly. The nicotine intake has already been cut in half and the time we spend using the vape is quite a bit less than the time we used to spend smoking cigarettes. Stacie tried to cheat yesterday and lit up a smoke only to gag on it and put it out right away.
Soon we will be out of the e-juice with 6mg of nicotine and we will try to cut that in half by getting some that has a 3mg of nicotine avg. Maybe we have a long way to go before we can be nicotine free but then again, maybe not. I remain optimistic that this will work and in some ways I believe that it already has to some extent.

That sounds wonderful man. Keep going strong! Really hope you can stick with it!

I guess my big problem has always been that I have an extreme addict-personality. So yeah for me it's tough to break any bad habit and I've had to go by it by force. I'm glad to say though that despite this I've been able to foster a life of mostly positive habits.

This post has been edited by verciazghra: Apr 18 2017, 03:20 PM

--------------------
"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." -Leonard Bernstein

"The only love affair I have ever had was with music." -Maurice Ravel

"There's no such place as dumb question." -Dose One

+Quote Post
AK Rich
post Apr 19 2017, 03:59 PM
Post #25

Learning Guitar Hero

QUOTE (verciazghra @ Apr 17 2017, 02:56 PM) *
That sounds wonderful man. Keep going strong! Really hope you can stick with it!

I guess my big problem has always been that I have an extreme addict-personality. So yeah for me it's tough to break any bad habit and I've had to go by it by force. I'm glad to say though that despite this I've been able to foster a life of mostly positive habits.

Thanks Verc! It's going pretty well so far. Yesterday I started using an e-juice in the vape that contains only 3mg avg of nicotine and I really haven't noticed a difference. No cigarettes at all for a week!

+Quote Post
AK Rich
post May 12 2017, 04:15 PM
Post #26

Learning Guitar Hero

Well it's basically been a month smoke free now. I may have been jumping the gun on dropping the nicotine input down to 3mg from 6 as it resulted in a big increase in the amount of e-juice I used for about a week or so but as the days went by, I slowly started to cut that back and have since reduced the avg nicotine content of my e-juice to 2mg.
Stacie has been a bit slower in weening off of the nicotine as she just recently reduced her avg to 4mg but is still doing a great job in staying away from the cigarettes.
I am pretty surprised at how relatively easy this has been so far and now my old friend Mark has tossed away his Kool filtered cigarettes to join Stacie and I in kicking the habit through vaping.

+Quote Post
Spock
post May 13 2017, 04:19 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 17.265

CONGRATS!!!

It WARMS my heart when people give up cigs and switch to vaping. I quit smoking almost 5 years ago. Did it just like you - went and purchased my first mod and gave away 3 packs of cigarettes.

I figured since I spent $100 on the mod I better get my money's worth. Then I found a flavor that tasted exactly like Captain Crunch and I never looked back!!! My flavor for the past 3 years has been a sugar cookie - I really don't even taste it anymore but I still love it. Now people say my car smells like pancakes and they love it.

I started at 18 mg nicotine and have been at 3 mg for about 3 years now. I just love vaping - that oral fixation thing that comes with years of smoking.

It's a little different but after about a week it starts to feel normal. The lure of cigs will stay for a while so be strong and determined - just think about the money saved and the money invested. No more hacking morning coughs. No more smelling like you narrowly escaped a crematory.

You got this - try a lot of flavors and find one that makes you swoon and you'll have this thing nailed and never look back.

Attached Image

This post has been edited by Spock: May 13 2017, 04:23 AM

+Quote Post
AK Rich
post May 13 2017, 06:45 PM
Post #28

Learning Guitar Hero

Thanks Spock! Yeah vaping seems to be a great way to quit. For the first few days I maybe smoked a cigarette a day just taking a puff or two at a time but since then it has been all vaping to satisfy my cravings for nicotine and it feels great! I used to smoke a pack to a pack and a half a day of full flavored cigs like Camel Filters or Marlboro Reds.
I am curious as to why you haven't cut out the nicotine altogether after 5 years. I am going to give it another week or two and I am going to reduce to 1mg of nicotine and see how it goes.

The first flavors I tried were tobacco based, turkish black honey and tokenello which is a turkish flavor with vanilla, and then I asked myself why I was using a tobacco flavor when I wanted to quit tobacco. Now I am using a flavor called clown tears which is basically just a mixed fruit flavor. The shop where I buy the e-juice mixes their own flavors as well as carrying other brands. What I have found is that the other brands that they carry leave a weird aftertaste similar to an artificial sweetener taste, yuck! And also the nicotine in the other brands is a bit harsh tasting and maybe not quite the quality of the nicotine my local shop uses, it's weird how I can taste nicotine now.

The tank on your mod is huge! I just picked up a couple of the Smok Alien 220 watt kits for Stacie and I. We are pretty happy with them so far.

[attachment=46142:IMG_2017...3_093635.jpg]

This post has been edited by AK Rich: May 13 2017, 06:50 PM

+Quote Post
Spock
post May 14 2017, 12:02 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 17.265

Great man, yea those should work really well. I just like this particular tank because I already had one - so same coils, tank, etc.

As well I have a local vapor store that mixed their own which I purchase. The is a great flavor and I can't remember who makes it but it's called "Poundcake". If you ever run across it give it a try.

However if fruit is more your thing you may not like it. My first flavor was blueberry.

+Quote Post
AK Rich
post May 15 2017, 05:03 PM
Post #30

Learning Guitar Hero

QUOTE (Spock @ May 13 2017, 03:02 PM) *
Great man, yea those should work really well. I just like this particular tank because I already had one - so same coils, tank, etc.

As well I have a local vapor store that mixed their own which I purchase. The is a great flavor and I can't remember who makes it but it's called "Poundcake". If you ever run across it give it a try.

However if fruit is more your thing you may not like it. My first flavor was blueberry.

Right on! Yeah I prefer a bigger tank that I don't have to fill as often and not have to carry extra juice around with me when I am out and about. Lately the fruit flavors are working for me but I am sure I will try some other flavors as time goes on. The poundcake flavor sounds like something Stacie may like. smile.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 04:03 AM