> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Haveguitar's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
post Apr 25 2017, 01:46 PM
Post #1

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.289

Hi HaveGuitar! Welcome to Gab's Army!

- How many time have you been playing guitar?
- Favorite guitarists, bands and musicians.
- What are your guitar goals?
- How would you like to you see yourself in 5 years (related to music and guitar)?
- How many time can you play guitar each day?
- Do you have playing live experience?
- Which are your strong and weak points with guitar?
- What do you know about music theory?
- Can you record videos of you playing?
- Share here audios and videos that reflect your current playing.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HaveGuitar
post Apr 25 2017, 04:33 PM
Post #2

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 22.470

- How many time have you been playing guitar?

I started playing around 1982/83, but for the last 10-15 years I haven't played that much due to kids/career etc. Started playing/practising more often last summer, and has been increasing my practice time for the last 8-10 months.

- Favorite guitarists, bands and musicians.

Ace Frehley (period: 73-80), Jimi Page/Led Zeppelin, David Gilmore/Pink Floyd, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Robert Flynn/Machine Head, Thomas Andersson/Kamchatka, Angus Young/AC-DC, Soundgarden, Derek Trucks, Nick Drake, Keith Richards/Rolling Stones. There's more but I think that some good examples from what I like.

- What are your guitar goals?

To increase my theorethical knowledge and my technique, to become a more varied guitarist. Maybe I could put it like this; to increase my palette or get a bigger bag of "tricks".

- How would you like to you see yourself in 5 years (related to music and guitar)?

I would be happy if I could compare my playing from today with my playing in 5 years and be able to see that I have progressed and become "better". Would also be nice if I had been able to asemble a band that plays original tracks rather as of today only covers.

- How many time can you play guitar each day?

Average 1-2 hours, sometimes less, sometimes more.

- Do you have playing live experience?

Yes, last gig was last week. But it's not that often, have had 2 live gigs for the last 6 months.

- Which are your strong and weak points with guitar?

Strong points: someone, who invited me as a guitarist to a internet-based project, described my playing as energetic and spontaneous. (Last link is from that project.) I think I have a descent tone and ability to play somewhat in "my own style".
Weak points: I feel I'm a bit limited, when it comes to technique both for chops/licks and also when it comes to picking techniques. Another weakness is that I've only been using my pinky finger when soloing for the last few years, and it's still kind of the weak finger on my left hand. Sloppy playing... but on the other hand; many of the guitarists I like aren't perfect in their playing and I kinda like it - I am not looking for perfection.

- What do you know about music theory?

Not too much, I think I'd say basic knowledge. I can do a solo in the key you tell me (unless it's a totally crazy fusion chord progression) so I have the ability to understand music terms.

- Can you record videos of you playing?

Yes, I do it on a regular basis for my youtube channel.

- Share here audios and videos that reflect your current playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C39x3U9A_Y0
(Playing starts at 3:09)

https://youtu.be/l_h0bu6j41M
(Playing starts around 4:50)

https://youtu.be/K7AcA5X0izA
(A little bit older but anyways, my solo starts at 2:45)

This post has been edited by HaveGuitar: Apr 25 2017, 04:48 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Apr 26 2017, 10:17 PM
Post #3

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi mate! That's a very impressive Youtube channel! I'm now subscribed!

You have a good base, so let's start working!

I would divide your guitar practice in 3 blocks:

- Technique (30 minutes): In this block you'd work on different techniques like Alternate Picking, Legato, Bending, Vibrato, etc. I'll suggest some exercises or lessons weekly.

- Theory (20 minutes): Here the idea is to get into the music theory mostly related to improvisation. Based on your music taste I think that getting into Blues theory should be our first goal.

- Licks/Vocabulary (20 minutes): The idea of this part is to learn some licks from your favourite players and/or GMC lessons.

- Improvisation (20 minutes): Here you'll apply everything worked (Technique, theory, licks) as well as some other improvisation concepts.

What do you think of this structure? If you like it, we can start building the routine for the first Week.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
HaveGuitar
post Apr 27 2017, 04:49 AM
Post #4

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 26 2017, 09:17 PM) *
Hi mate! That's a very impressive Youtube channel! I'm now subscribed!

You have a good base, so let's start working!

I would divide your guitar practice in 3 blocks:

- Technique (30 minutes): In this block you'd work on different techniques like Alternate Picking, Legato, Bending, Vibrato, etc. I'll suggest some exercises or lessons weekly.

- Theory (20 minutes): Here the idea is to get into the music theory mostly related to improvisation. Based on your music taste I think that getting into Blues theory should be our first goal.

- Licks/Vocabulary (20 minutes): The idea of this part is to learn some licks from your favourite players and/or GMC lessons.

- Improvisation (20 minutes): Here you'll apply everything worked (Technique, theory, licks) as well as some other improvisation concepts.

What do you think of this structure? If you like it, we can start building the routine for the first Week.

Hi!

Thanks for the sub! smile.gif

Your suggestion looks like a great start, so I'll be ready when you are. I hope... I know some days, I will have a full day available, some days nothings. Still would say my average of 1-2 hours stands but as I also said, it will vary... my eldest daughter is into figureskating and she's now aiming for a higher competition class ... and why do I tell you this? Because that takes away from my time from playing guitar, taking her to practise, camps and comeptitions smile.gif

best regards
Magnus

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Apr 28 2017, 01:59 PM
Post #5

Instructor
Group Icon

Part 2 from this lesson: LINK

This lesson complete: LAND OF LEGATO

Read and work from 1 to 1.5 from this Guide:Blues Theory Guide

Learn some licks from here: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/BB-King-Blues/

Improvise over the BB king blues backing.

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Apr 28 2017, 01:59 PM

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
HaveGuitar
post Apr 29 2017, 06:58 AM
Post #6

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 28 2017, 12:59 PM) *

Part 2 from this lesson: LINK

This lesson complete: LAND OF LEGATO

Read and work from 1 to 1.5 from this Guide:Blues Theory Guide

Learn some licks from here: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/BB-King-Blues/

Improvise over the BB king blues backing.

Great, will have a look at this when I get back home tomorrow!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Apr 29 2017, 06:42 PM
Post #7

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (HaveGuitar @ Apr 29 2017, 02:58 AM) *
Great, will have a look at this when I get back home tomorrow!

Excellent! wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
HaveGuitar
post May 3 2017, 10:29 AM
Post #8

I have started and am practising the legato and also practising the scales to hammer them into my memory... still need some more time with this. But when I feel I have it down - should I just let you know in this thread or how to proceed when I think I'm "ready" with these lessons?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post May 3 2017, 11:15 PM
Post #9

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (HaveGuitar @ May 3 2017, 06:29 AM) *
I have started and am practising the legato and also practising the scales to hammer them into my memory... still need some more time with this. But when I feel I have it down - should I just let you know in this thread or how to proceed when I think I'm "ready" with these lessons?

Hi mate, great to know that you are working! What about sharing a video of you playing the assignments in a few days?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
HaveGuitar
post May 4 2017, 08:09 AM
Post #10

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 3 2017, 10:15 PM) *
Hi mate, great to know that you are working! What about sharing a video of you playing the assignments in a few days?

Hello,

Sounds like a plan! Will do that.

Cheers,

Magnus

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post May 4 2017, 01:33 PM
Post #11

Instructor
Group Icon

Perfect! wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
HaveGuitar
post May 8 2017, 08:39 AM
Post #12

Gonna give it some more days before I upload anything, last 4-5 days has been way to little guitar time sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post May 8 2017, 02:52 PM
Post #13

Instructor
Group Icon

Ok friend, thanks for notifying.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
HaveGuitar
post May 12 2017, 10:27 PM
Post #14

Hi!

So here my take of this... not sure if this is how it should be done but I guess you will tell me. biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post May 13 2017, 04:13 PM
Post #15

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi mate, nice first take!

I like the fact that your improvisation has clear phrases. It also sounds musical and tasty in most of the parts with is a good thing. The use of bends and double stops is interesting, you definitely need to continue exploring with it.

Here are some ideas to work on:

- The first and the most important is to start to connect more with the chord changes. Analyse the lesson's solos and see how the notes of the chord sounding at each time is targeted in phrasing. How to work on this? This is just an example: Identify the root and third of each of the chords from the progression. Practice playing only this two notes all along the fretboard over the backing. Then slowly start combining the pentatonic with this, trying to create phrases that are more connected with the backing. When I say "more connected" it means that your phrases tend to start and/or end on chord tones, and the longer notes of your phrases are usually this type of notes.

- Adjust your bending technique. In some cases you don't reach the right pitch. Remember that you can/should use the other fingers to help the one that is bending.

- Get more influenced by the lessons's vibrato.

- Use more dynamics (check the lesson or some BB king improv)

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
HaveGuitar
post May 13 2017, 10:07 PM
Post #16

Hi!

Thanks the feedback, I'll take your suggestion along with the continued practise sessions... Had no idea what a double stop was so I had to google that so that was a new term for me smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post May 14 2017, 10:12 PM
Post #17

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (HaveGuitar @ May 13 2017, 06:07 PM) *
Hi!

Thanks the feedback, I'll take your suggestion along with the continued practise sessions... Had no idea what a double stop was so I had to google that so that was a new term for me smile.gif

Great! We have some great double stop lessons here. Go for them!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
HaveGuitar
post Aug 6 2017, 06:47 PM
Post #18

Long time... been buzy. Well, so here's two takes, fairly different from eachother but surely none of them are perfect. smile.gif Let me know what you think!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Aug 9 2017, 06:15 PM
Post #19

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi mate! Great to find this video from you here.

I think that this is very interesting since you took the original lesson and started making the licks of your own. Your playing is tasty along both takes, and I can identify some cool licks and moments where your phrasing becomes deeper. I like when your playing sounds smoother with the use of slides, legato, and horizontal playing. I think that you need to experiment with more of that since that's where your playing becomes more unique and deeper. Try to think more on ornamentation, give more importance to each note, and focus on two elements tone and rhythm.

I've heard John Mayer said recently that he only things on tone and rhythm when playing. I think that's a good way to make our soloing sound better so why don't you give it a try.

Check out this talk:

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd August 2017 - 12:17 PM