Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Micro Terror Setup
bleez
post May 4 2017, 06:08 PM
Post #1

Experienced Tone Seeker

Group: Members
Member No.: 14.292

Dude at work asked this, I said I didnt know but I knew some guys who would smile.gif

He plays harmonica through the orange micro terror. He's going to be jamming with some folk who are mic'd and going through a PA but wont have his cab with him, just the head.
Is it possible to use the head without the cab, could it go into a spare guitar amp or into to the PA in some way?

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klasaine
post May 4 2017, 06:22 PM
Post #2

GMC:er

Member No.: 17.304

The output of an 'amp' needs to see some type of impedance load or a speaker.
DO NOT plug it directly into the PA. You will fry both.
You also can't plug directly into another guitar amp. Same reason.

'If' the guitar amp has an effects loop return, you can plug the Orange head into that. It's known as slaving ... http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/tips-and...-of-amp-slaving

Or, the easiest would be to just find a spkr cab to plug into.
You can also plug the speaker of another amp (guitar, bass or whatever) into the micro terror. You may need a double female 1/4 coupling adapter and another speaker cable (not instrument cable, speaker cable).

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
post May 4 2017, 07:09 PM
Post #3

Experienced Tone Seeker

Thanks, Ken. I thought things may get a bit explode-y smile.gif

QUOTE (klasaine @ May 4 2017, 06:22 PM) *
You can also plug the speaker of another amp (guitar, bass or whatever) into the micro terror. You may need a double female 1/4 coupling adapter and another speaker cable (not instrument cable, speaker cable).

how would that work? like a cab someone else is using. would you take a speaker cable out from the terror and into that coupling...
LOL! sorry, I dont know anything cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post May 4 2017, 07:52 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

The good news about the MICRO TERROR in particular, is that it has a headphone output jack on the front. Standard quarter inch jack. Since it's a solid state amp with a tube in part of the preamp, you can run it without a cab if you like. Real "tube amps" that use tubes for power and pre, typically like to see a "load". Though some are designed to work without it like the hughes and kettner maestro series.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Mic...DaLwaAt8Z8P8HAQ

QUOTE (bleez @ May 4 2017, 01:08 PM) *
Dude at work asked this, I said I didnt know but I knew some guys who would smile.gif

He plays harmonica through the orange micro terror. He's going to be jamming with some folk who are mic'd and going through a PA but wont have his cab with him, just the head.
Is it possible to use the head without the cab, could it go into a spare guitar amp or into to the PA in some way?

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: May 4 2017, 07:56 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
post May 4 2017, 08:54 PM
Post #5

Experienced Tone Seeker

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ May 4 2017, 07:52 PM) *
The good news about the MICRO TERROR in particular, is that it has a headphone output jack on the front. Standard quarter inch jack. Since it's a solid state amp with a tube in part of the preamp, you can run it without a cab if you like. Real "tube amps" that use tubes for power and pre, typically like to see a "load". Though some are designed to work without it like the hughes and kettner maestro series.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Mic...DaLwaAt8Z8P8HAQ

can you use the headphone output to go into an amp or something instead of headphones?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
post May 4 2017, 09:29 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 18.294

I tried it with a soundcard at a friend and it sounded fine, yeah can be connected to a PA or into another amps input.

By the way, why does he use a guitar amp for harmonica? (distortion?)

This post has been edited by Mertay: May 4 2017, 09:30 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
post May 4 2017, 11:18 PM
Post #7

Experienced Tone Seeker

QUOTE (Mertay @ May 4 2017, 09:29 PM) *
I tried it with a soundcard at a friend and it sounded fine, yeah can be connected to a PA or into another amps input.

By the way, why does he use a guitar amp for harmonica? (distortion?)

cool, so either out from the headphone straight to the PA or into the input of a combo amp? with an instrument cable?

yeah, uses the terror for distortion and general tone, apparently the micro terror can dial in some particularly tasty sounds for the harmonica!
coincidentally this is actually for playing in Turkey! I'll need to find out which bars they jam in, it might be near you cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
post May 4 2017, 11:34 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

QUOTE (bleez @ May 4 2017, 10:18 PM) *
cool, so either out from the headphone straight to the PA or into the input of a combo amp? with an instrument cable?

yeah, uses the terror for distortion and general tone, apparently the micro terror can dial in some particularly tasty sounds for the harmonica!
coincidentally this is actually for playing in Turkey! I'll need to find out which bars they jam in, it might be near you cool.gif

Cool, Yeah an instrument cable should be enough, but if he encounters some extra noise a di-box might be needed (can be found in bars/clubs inventory which have concerts regularly but not always/everywhere). Also as you know guitar cab.s have a tone to them, the headphone out will probably sound different to him but it should be managable with the amps eq.

Let me know where they are and their bands name! even if not my city I'll tell friends from other citys smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
post May 4 2017, 11:57 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 17.304

Yeah, if there's a headphone out then that's just a pre-amp out and you won't be sending power (wattage) to an input. Instrument cable is good for that.

As for why a harmonica player uses a guitar amp ...
1) Yes, distortion.
2) A harmonica generally sits in the same bandwidth range as an electric guitar. ALL the blues harp stuff you hear today as well as historically is/was played into a tube guitar amp (Fender, Gibson, Supro, National, etc.). They do make 'harp' amps that are optimized for blues harp but they are still basically vintage style guitar amps.

*Usually mic'd with a Green Bullet, also known as the Shure model 520. Introduced in 1949. Originally intended for use as a communications, recording, and public address system microphone, it gained popularity with the harp players because you can cup your hand around it and still hold the harmonica.

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
post May 5 2017, 01:31 PM
Post #10

Experienced Tone Seeker

thanks for the info guys. it was perfect smile.gif

Mertay, I think he is in fethiye.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
post May 5 2017, 04:08 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

QUOTE (bleez @ May 5 2017, 12:31 PM) *
Mertay, I think he is in fethiye.

Aw its a great place for a holiday (seriously, check some google images its like a piece of heaven), wish I could be there now smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post May 5 2017, 07:33 PM
Post #12

Group Icon

SURE smile.gif As Mertay says, it will work fine smile.gif Just a quarter inch cable from headphone out to any input on a mixing board and bam. Your there smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (bleez @ May 4 2017, 03:54 PM) *
can you use the headphone output to go into an amp or something instead of headphones?

--------------------

+Quote Post
AK Rich
post May 10 2017, 05:49 PM
Post #13

Learning Guitar Hero

Member No.: 13.839

I know I am late to chime in on this but I just thought I would mention that our harp player goes straight into the PA using the same mic that he sings through and there doesn't seem to be any issues. I have seen harp players in the past that liked to use a guitar amp and liked to utilize the feedback from the amp.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post May 12 2017, 04:36 AM
Post #14

Group Icon

that would work as well smile.gif I played in a Blues band for a while (The Dillon James Band) and the harp guy just blew in to the vocal mic sometimes. Other times he brought a special mic just for the harp.

The guy using the amp is probably using it to give more bite to the harp? I'm guessing? Cause he certainly doesn't need to use an amp. It must be a tone choice?

Todd

QUOTE (AK Rich @ May 10 2017, 12:49 PM) *
I know I am late to chime in on this but I just thought I would mention that our harp player goes straight into the PA using the same mic that he sings through and there doesn't seem to be any issues. I have seen harp players in the past that liked to use a guitar amp and liked to utilize the feedback from the amp.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th November 2017 - 05:49 AM