Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What Causes This Noise?
Phil66
post May 20 2017, 09:15 PM
Post #61

Learning Apprentice Player

Group: Members
Member No.: 19.975

WOW Ken, that's incredible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, here are the sounds.

In this first one all levels are FULL to start with. I put the guitar by the PC, then moved it onto the stand, turned down guitar vol, turned down Helix output level then set the Scarlett record inputs to my normal 12 O Clock position. The interference when the guitar is by the PC is a different sound to before.
https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/1-pc-on-guitar-by-pc-then-moved

In this one all levels are FULL to start with then,turned down guitar vol, turned down Helix output level then set the Scarlett record inputs to my normal 12 O Clock position. Laptop on mains power.
https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/2-pc-off-laptop-on-mains

In this one all levels are FULL to start with then,turned down guitar vol, turned down Helix output level then set the Scarlett record inputs to my normal 12 O Clock position. Laptop on battery power.
https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/3-pc-off-laptop-on-battery

Playing normally with my normal settings, no compressors in patch:
https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/4-playing-at-normal-levels

Playing with two compressors:
https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/05-with-compressors-170519-2140

I can't get that high frequency sound tonight. I've also heard it from my TV so I'm sure it is something that will come and go. My wife can never hear it though rolleyes.gif

Cheers folks.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
post May 20 2017, 09:55 PM
Post #62

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 18.294

So as I hear both when the laptop is powered by adapter or battery the high-pitch is there, but only audible on very high preamp settings from helix or focusrite?

High pitch can be both about screen/pc interference or power(from helix is the laptop is working with battery). Its a common problem for pedal users using low quality or wrong (non-regulated if I remember correct) adapters for their pedals.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post May 20 2017, 11:24 PM
Post #63

To be honest, I didn't hear the high frequency signal that I've was talking about.

I think I can live with this set up smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
post May 21 2017, 12:46 PM
Post #64

Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 18.294

QUOTE (Phil66 @ May 20 2017, 10:24 PM) *
I think I can live with this set up smile.gif

Cool then smile.gif

There are advantages to having a recording only computer as there will be lesser programs needed inside it and this will keep the performance high constantly. Or if you wish even no internet connection, I remember a few times disconnecting internet to pass some issues in the past.

Finally, if you even suspect the helix making noise, a really cheap (around a boss pedal price) offline ups should power it long enough.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post May 21 2017, 04:30 PM
Post #65

Thanks, Mertay,

I'll keep it in mind.

https://uk.rs-online.com/mobile/p/ups-power...pplies/7127070/

I've just bought an Asus laptop, i7, 8gb ram which I think can be increased on this model via a cover on the bottom, and 1TB hd. It still has 14 months manufacturer warranty. The bloke has only ever had Mac books and can't get used to Win10. Got it for £379.

If I get a usb to usb cable (same each end) and plug it into my powered hub will I be able to view each computer from the other? Our is there a way to do this? I'm not good with this kinda thing biggrin.gif

Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: May 21 2017, 09:50 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post May 24 2017, 09:49 PM
Post #66

Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

A powered hub doesn't usually serve as a network hub. Usually, you just use wifi to so the computers on your home network. It will depend on what you have shared (folders/drives) on each. Be careful about powered hubs as well, they too can add noise to your entire signal chain. The easy way to test that of course is to try a given device plugged in to the laptop, then try it plugged in to the hub. Some hubs are quite noisey. So it's something to look out for smile.gif

What is it you want to see on your laptop computer? i've never worked on windows laptop before, but let us know how it goes. Hopefully it will be nice and noise free smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ May 21 2017, 11:30 AM) *
Thanks, Mertay,

I'll keep it in mind.

https://uk.rs-online.com/mobile/p/ups-power...pplies/7127070/

I've just bought an Asus laptop, i7, 8gb ram which I think can be increased on this model via a cover on the bottom, and 1TB hd. It still has 14 months manufacturer warranty. The bloke has only ever had Mac books and can't get used to Win10. Got it for £379.

If I get a usb to usb cable (same each end) and plug it into my powered hub will I be able to view each computer from the other? Our is there a way to do this? I'm not good with this kinda thing biggrin.gif

Cheers

This is a great point. Many studios use their production machines JUST for production. That way the machine stays "clean" and the only thing installed is music software. Many are "air gapped" (e.g. no wifi/no network) just to protect them

QUOTE (Mertay @ May 21 2017, 07:46 AM) *
Cool then smile.gif

There are advantages to having a recording only computer as there will be lesser programs needed inside it and this will keep the performance high constantly. Or if you wish even no internet connection, I remember a few times disconnecting internet to pass some issues in the past.

Finally, if you even suspect the helix making noise, a really cheap (around a boss pedal price) offline ups should power it long enough.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post May 25 2017, 07:14 AM
Post #67

I just want to copy everything over to my main machine when I've finished on the laptop and I also want to copy over my guitar/studio related folders over to the laptop and keep them synced.

I'm using the laptop as a second PC really, I don't like laptop keyboards or mouse pads so it's just sitting there switched on and closed wink.gif When I record I won't have the main PC on.

I'm hoping this will work well, I'm a little paranoid now about the noise from the hub now you've said that, let's hope it's good. I hadn't noticed any noise before and I've alway been connected to it because my mobo is one of those stoopid little things with only 2 usb ports. If I have to go the dedicated laptop recording route I'll need more speakers as my Scarlett is my soundcard for everything.

I have to upgrade to Win10 Pro as this only has Home on and I didn't know you couldn't network the Home version. I don't understand networking, I have set up a home network with XP once, but it took me a while.

I forgot how long it takes to get a computer up and running. Easy to switch it on and go but getting rid of the bloatware, and getting it running with all the software you need is a ball ache rolleyes.gif

Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: May 25 2017, 08:50 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post May 25 2017, 06:24 PM
Post #68

Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

The easy way to do what your talking about is install DROPBOX which is free. You get a folder that auto synchs with every machine you install and log into. Just use the same dropbox login on each machine you want to synch. You get a certain amount of free storage then it costs if you want more. At one point I was using a terabyte of storage which is around 10 bux a month. It's very handy as you can work directly in the drop box folder and it updates automatically so that you can move to your new machine and the files are there and you can move back and forth.

smile.gif

Hope this helps!
Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ May 25 2017, 02:14 AM) *
I just want to copy everything over to my main machine when I've finished on the laptop and I also want to copy over my guitar/studio related folders over to the laptop and keep them synced.

I'm using the laptop as a second PC really, I don't like laptop keyboards or mouse pads so it's just sitting there switched on and closed wink.gif When I record I won't have the main PC on.

I'm hoping this will work well, I'm a little paranoid now about the noise from the hub now you've said that, let's hope it's good. I hadn't noticed any noise before and I've alway been connected to it because my mobo is one of those stoopid little things with only 2 usb ports. If I have to go the dedicated laptop recording route I'll need more speakers as my Scarlett is my soundcard for everything.

I have to upgrade to Win10 Pro as this only has Home on and I didn't know you couldn't network the Home version. I don't understand networking, I have set up a home network with XP once, but it took me a while.

I forgot how long it takes to get a computer up and running. Easy to switch it on and go but getting rid of the bloatware, and getting it running with all the software you need is a ball ache rolleyes.gif

Cheers

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post May 25 2017, 08:30 PM
Post #69

Yeah I have OneDrive. My OneDrive has a copy of my entire D:. I don't know how to set it up so that I can just sync one folder between two computers though. I downloaded some files from OneDrive via Chrome using my online login, not the OneDrive app and it was very slow and it changed the file names for some reason, it put a lot of characters on them. I don't get that!!!!!

Anyway, I've bought a license of Win10 Pro for just under £10 from HERE all legal. I've just gone into the activation section of Win10 on my laptop, selected "Enter a different key", entered the new license and it is now updating itself.

I've also had my USB switcher today which works a treat. I just select A (laptop) or B (desktop) and select the input on my main monitor. My laptop has also allowed me to have a dual screen setup, which I wasn't planning on doing as I didn't realise I could. Boom, a free unexpected upgrade.

Just got to sort out the network now and then tomorrow, hopefully, some test recordings smile.gif

UPDATE:

I've found out how easy it is to sync different folders across different machines in one drive. I'll still sort the network out but only as and when I get time wink.gif

Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: May 26 2017, 12:38 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th November 2017 - 10:26 AM