> Finger Issue., Biomechanics??
Phil66
post May 10 2017, 04:37 PM
Post #1

Learning Apprentice Player

Group: Members
Member No.: 19.975

Hello folks,

I've made a bit of a discovery, I hope this makes sense.

We were lying by the hotel swimming pool. I'd just finished a chapter in a novel I am reading on my Kindle. I lay my Kindle on my stomach and without thinking I started to tap my fingers on the back of my Kindle.

I then started to "fret" the lick I'm still struggling with in the Jack White lesson that I'm doing with Gab. The fingering is E string: 1, 4, A string:1,2,3 and D string:1,3.
My fingers kept on getting mixed up on the 3 notes per string part (A string).

I then turned it around a little bit and did E string: 4,1. A string:3,2,1 and D string:3,1 and found I could repeatedly do this much quicker.

I then did a test, I tapped my fingers as people do where they're waiting impatiently for someone, ie, pinky, ring, middle, index, we can all do this pretty quickly, I then tried in reverse, so, index, middle, ring, pinky, and couldn't do it anywhere near as cleanly or as quickly.. That is the finger order of the lick but without all fingers engaged.

I then made a clenched​ fist one finger at a time starting with the pinky then starting with the index. Much easier starting with the pinky. Try it!

What I've concluded is that it is a biomechanical issue but I don't know how to overcome it. Any ideas? I've been on this lesson a long time now.

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
post May 10 2017, 08:13 PM
Post #2

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 18.294

I remember asking my teacher a long time ago if there was an exercise I could do without guitar while on a road trip etc. , he told me to place my hand (palm facing table) on my lap/table and lift fingers with the most absurd orders possible. Not that its a life changer or super useful but has always made sense to me on free-time away from the guitar.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post May 10 2017, 10:02 PM
Post #3

Cheers buddy. What I've also discovered is that I can do the patterns much easier with my right hand. I was born left handed, but back in those days, it was considered the work of the devil so my grandmother talked my mother into converting me. I wonder if I should actually be playing left handed huh.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post May 12 2017, 04:34 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

Once you have decided which fingers to actually use for the fingering, and which direction to pick, (assuming this bit is up to you and not assigned in the lesson, which it might be), I'd say play the pattern forward and reverse and loop it. Then take your guitar with you and watch a TV show if you can. Leave the guitar unplugged. Just run the pattern until you don't have to look at your fingers anymore. Then keep running it til you don't have to think about it anymore. After the show is over. Go plug your guitar back in and see how it sounds smile.gif Most things are just about repetition.

Todd

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post May 12 2017, 09:03 AM
Post #5

Thanks Todd,

I can play it at 90% speed but just can't crack the 100%, I've even been trying to play it faster. Mind you, as you know, the last couple of months or so have been hard for me. I'm back from Menorca tomorrow so it's full steam ahead again.

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
post May 13 2017, 08:56 PM
Post #6

This is a video of my fingers drumming in each direction. It seems to be related to finger independence or something like that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oaZv1hxFZ8

Any ideas?

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post May 13 2017, 09:21 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

Do you remember the finger snap type workout we used to do in vid chat? Just pull your first two fingers and thumb together at the tip. If you here a small pop, you are there. If you don't hear anything, keep at it. It's a great way to work in fingertip pressure. Classical folks do this workout all the time. I stole it from my classical guitar instructor years ago. Once you get it on the first two fingers, try the middle two, then the hardest of all, the last two.

As for finger control, try finger drumming first, second, first, third, first, pinky. Then in reverse. Then double tap each finger in the same patter, then triple, then quad.

These kinds of drills you can do anywhere. smile.gif

Also, don't forget your stretches! smile.gif Fingers/wrist/arm warmup/cooldown is very important to prevent carpal tunnel syndrome.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post May 13 2017, 09:35 PM
Post #8

Thanks Todd,

I don't remember the classical trick and I don't quite follow what you mean if I'm honest. I didn't come into many of your chats mate, but too late at night for me.

I find it odd how erratic it is when I go from pinkie to index.

Cheers buddy

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post May 15 2017, 12:48 AM
Post #9

Group Icon

No worries, I'll make a vid. It's just a finger tip power drill. Did you read the bit about my portable finger control workout?

As for finger control, try finger drumming first, second, first, third, first, pinky. Then in reverse. Then double tap each finger in the same patter, then triple, then quad

for now, here is my stretch vid. I do these before and after each practice session and i suggest it for everyone. You won't be able to stretch this far but that's ok. Just stretch till you feel tension, not pain. Eventually you wil be able to stretch this far. It just takes time and your reach will be greatly increased, making scales/chords with large gaps no problem.

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ May 13 2017, 04:35 PM) *
Thanks Todd,

I don't remember the classical trick and I don't quite follow what you mean if I'm honest. I didn't come into many of your chats mate, but too late at night for me.

I find it odd how erratic it is when I go from pinkie to index.

Cheers buddy

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: May 15 2017, 12:53 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post May 15 2017, 07:26 AM
Post #10

Thanks Todd,

I'll do that.

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th November 2017 - 05:48 AM