Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Spock
post May 13 2017, 06:09 PM
Post #2

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 17.265

Very nice dude! I just finished doing the exact same thing last night - cleaning all the damn wires up and organizing. Nothing makes you feel more productive than a nice clean environment to work in.

Awesome monitor too. Looks great!

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
post May 13 2017, 06:55 PM
Post #3

Learning Rock Star

Member No.: 5.298

Apparently my TV monitor goes to 3840x2160, which I don't get, since it says it's just Full HD. But it's nice none the less.

Arh, found the "catch". My AMD graphics does "Virtual super resolution", which scales to the mentioned resolution.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post May 13 2017, 09:27 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

Having a big HD monitor in the mix is the way to go IMHO smile.gif I started doing it years ago after seeing the guy from Linkin Park doing it in his home studio. I was like "BRILLIANT!" the resolution is lower than typicall computer monitors which makes reading plugin/dialogue boxes and such very easy even if you are pushed back from the computer and recording a take. Also, they are WAY cheaper than computer monitors of the same size. You can get a 40 inch HDTV for $300. A 40 inch computer monitor would be crazy price. It would have higher resolution, but that just makes DAW bits harder to read as they get to small. Anyhoo, SUPER CONGRATS!! I hope you consider mounting the big one above the two smaller ones, just slightlly above. Makes a very handy triple head view.

As I mentioned in another post, my entire rig is just a laptop and bigscreen HDTV. That's really the core of all you need these days smile.gif

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ May 13 2017, 01:55 PM) *
Apparently my TV monitor goes to 3840x2160, which I don't get, since it says it's just Full HD. But it's nice none the less.

Arh, found the "catch". My AMD graphics does "Virtual super resolution", which scales to the mentioned resolution.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
post May 15 2017, 11:52 AM
Post #5

Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 3.338

Looking great Cae smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Mertay
post May 15 2017, 01:21 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 18.294

Looks better. My advice is really push those electric cables behind the desk just incase you know..

Also, after using something similar I switched to a smaller pc type desk/table after having something similar to yours. You don't get much leg space cause of those drawers that are designed for books, paper etc. . With such workspace you always have to turn around and sitting comfortable is really important for your back health.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
post May 15 2017, 03:45 PM
Post #7

Learning Rock Star

QUOTE (Mertay @ May 15 2017, 02:21 PM) *
Looks better. My advice is really push those electric cables behind the desk just incase you know..

Also, after using something similar I switched to a smaller pc type desk/table after having something similar to yours. You don't get much leg space cause of those drawers that are designed for books, paper etc. . With such workspace you always have to turn around and sitting comfortable is really important for your back health.

That was part of the mess I was referring to. Didn't realize till after I'd taken the picture that there were cables on the floor. smile.gif They're behind the desk now smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post May 15 2017, 04:29 PM
Post #8

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 1.289

Great! Congrats Cael! It looks much better now! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
post May 15 2017, 06:28 PM
Post #9

Learning Rock Star

Thanks, Gabriel smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post May 16 2017, 07:15 AM
Post #10

Group Icon

I gave up on desks. They were all to small. Finally I bought a large wooden door and two saw horses made of metal. The result is a very strong desk with wads of leg room and depth. Also it was pretty cheap smile.gif Any building supply store will have the parts and it breaks down in to 3 pieces when it's time to move. No other desk setup was as cheap, as big, as strong, as deep and as portable.

QUOTE (Mertay @ May 15 2017, 08:21 AM) *

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rammikin
post May 16 2017, 05:42 PM
Post #11

Experienced Rock Star

Member No.: 11.529

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ May 13 2017, 05:55 PM) *

I've been thinking about doing something like this, but I haven't been able to find a size/resolution that works for me. By "Full HD", do you mean you have 1920X1080? What resolution did you have on each of your old monitors?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
post May 16 2017, 06:16 PM
Post #12

Learning Rock Star

QUOTE (Rammikin @ May 16 2017, 06:42 PM) *
I've been thinking about doing something like this, but I haven't been able to find a size/resolution that works for me. By "Full HD", do you mean you have 1920X1080? What resolution did you have on each of your old monitors?

Full HD I think is 1080p, yeah. smile.gif My small monitor is 1440x900. And I had two of those.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rammikin
post May 16 2017, 07:58 PM
Post #13

Experienced Rock Star

Member No.: 11.529

But that means you had a virtual monitor that was 2880 pixels wide, and how it's only 1920. You could add a second tv, but that would take up a lot of room. I don't know the answer...I'm facing the same dilemma.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
post May 16 2017, 08:33 PM
Post #14

Learning Rock Star

QUOTE (Rammikin @ May 16 2017, 08:58 PM) *
But that means you had a virtual monitor that was 2880 pixels wide, and how it's only 1920. You could add a second tv, but that would take up a lot of room. I don't know the answer...I'm facing the same dilemma.

2880 on a 19" inch screen would be VERY small icon/text etc wise though, I think?

Before I had 2880x900 worth of screens, now I have 1440x900 + 3860x2140 smile.gif

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: May 16 2017, 08:34 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post May 16 2017, 11:40 PM
Post #15

Group Icon

Have you pulled up your daw on the virtual 4k? Does it make things small and hard to read? I've found about 1920x1080 is as far up as I can take the resolution and still see things when sitting back from the desk while recording and such. But I could be going blind smile.gif

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ May 16 2017, 03:33 PM) *
2880 on a 19" inch screen would be VERY small icon/text etc wise though, I think?

Before I had 2880x900 worth of screens, now I have 1440x900 + 3860x2140 smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
post May 16 2017, 11:50 PM
Post #16

Learning Rock Star

It's seeable, bit hard to read, mind you, and I have wondered if there's a workaround as opposed to lowering the resolution.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post May 17 2017, 12:34 AM
Post #17

Group Icon

I"m sure there is something that can be done smile.gif Not sure what, as I'm not a windows guy. I"m sure there are some windows guy around though that may have suggestions.

WINDOWS GUYS!!! SUGGESTIONS PLEASE! smile.gif

As my max res available is just HD, it's less of an issue. I have higher resolution available on the laptop screen, but it's so small compared to the HD set that I usually reduce the resolution to 1080p or lower just so it's easy to read from a distance.

This is the "TRIPLE STACK" approach I was talking about that some folks do.
Attached Image
Attached Image

Now this guy went a bit nuts and combined three curved displays on bottom with one big display on top. This is a HUGE waste of money IMHO but it sure does look spiff smile.gif I'd have honestly just gotten two or three bit HDTVs to be honest and spent the rest on guitars.

Todd

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ May 16 2017, 06:50 PM) *
It's seeable, bit hard to read, mind you, and I have wondered if there's a workaround as opposed to lowering the resolution.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: May 17 2017, 07:50 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
post May 17 2017, 05:46 PM
Post #18

Group Icon

Not the expert here but trying to help;

go; control panel-display. On screen resolution menu it writes "make text and other items larger or smaller", click and there you'll have options.

I have win 7, maybe the menus are placed different if you use a different windows but that should help.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
post May 17 2017, 05:56 PM
Post #19

Learning Rock Star

QUOTE (Mertay @ May 17 2017, 06:46 PM) *
Not the expert here but trying to help;

go; control panel-display. On screen resolution menu it writes "make text and other items larger or smaller", click and there you'll have options.

I have win 7, maybe the menus are placed different if you use a different windows but that should help.

That affects apps too though, which means I might as well choose another resolution. Would like to keep the one I have just make text sharper, not bigger smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
post May 17 2017, 06:08 PM
Post #20

Group Icon

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ May 17 2017, 04:56 PM) *
That affects apps too though, which means I might as well choose another resolution. Would like to keep the one I have just make text sharper, not bigger smile.gif

Then you could also experiment with cleartype text, again in the display menu.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2017 - 05:35 AM