> Do Not Buy These
Todd Simpson
post Jun 1 2017, 01:06 AM
Post #1

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

These speakers are listed for $26,000. Yup. No kidding. They are a big nice set sure, but 26k? I'm sorry that's just nuts. Here is a pic. I won't bother with the ebay link. Who knows, maybe they are worth that. Just not worth it to me. Seems crazy.

Attached Image

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
post Jun 1 2017, 09:47 AM
Post #2

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 17.069

You know....sometimes people buy stuff just because they afford. I think that's how the rich-man worlds works. Imagine you could do a set of these and live a year out this job salary ?biggrin.gif I would smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Jun 1 2017, 11:46 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 18.294

There are many "snake oil" speakers in the audio world. The reason is the parts of a speaker is actually very in-expensive but its the engineering that causes them to be expensive. One needs education, a special room, mic. (s), analyzing equipment and a lot of time to try various combinations of parts and adjusting them. Snake oil stuff I refer to may have the parts but not the engineering...

The best speakers I had good experience was big PMC's (can't remember the model) in a masterding room. Although the speakers were huge but the room not so big, with high-end amps they performed amazing even at lower volume levels. Even a semi-trained ear could hear so much character detail of a sound source.

So after such experience, paying big bucks starts to make more sense but as said not all similar priced speakers are the same. Impulse buy is fun and can work well for say moderate priced guitar gear we all use, but with such expensive stuff some research to me is critical before pulling the trigger.

Who knows, I'm sure theres someone out there who think those speakers are worth their price but I'm certain there are many more who will think there are better options.

This post has been edited by Mertay: Jun 1 2017, 11:48 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jun 1 2017, 05:50 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

The PMC speakers are amazing smile.gif They are used a lot in post production for film scoring where you need to hear everything. They go all the way down to 20hz with the bass extension cab, and up beyond 20k so they represent the full range of human hearing. You dont' miss much on these smile.gif Wish I had a pair!
Attached Image

QUOTE (Mertay @ Jun 1 2017, 06:46 AM) *
There are many "snake oil" speakers in the audio world. The reason is the parts of a speaker is actually very in-expensive but its the engineering that causes them to be expensive. One needs education, a special room, mic. (s), analyzing equipment and a lot of time to try various combinations of parts and adjusting them. Snake oil stuff I refer to may have the parts but not the engineering...

The best speakers I had good experience was big PMC's (can't remember the model) in a masterding room. Although the speakers were huge but the room not so big, with high-end amps they performed amazing even at lower volume levels. Even a semi-trained ear could hear so much character detail of a sound source.

So after such experience, paying big bucks starts to make more sense but as said not all similar priced speakers are the same. Impulse buy is fun and can work well for say moderate priced guitar gear we all use, but with such expensive stuff some research to me is critical before pulling the trigger.

Who knows, I'm sure theres someone out there who think those speakers are worth their price but I'm certain there are many more who will think there are better options.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Spock
post Jun 1 2017, 08:51 PM
Post #5

Group: Members
Member No.: 17.265

Rather have a car with a nice stereo

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jun 2 2017, 05:51 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

For the price of those big two stage PMC you could get the car of your dreams. They are CRAZY expensive as they go down below the range of human hear and above the range of human hearing to allow one to hear how overtones are impacting the sound. They are amazing. I"d give my kidney for a pair smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Spock @ Jun 1 2017, 03:51 PM) *
Rather have a car with a nice stereo

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Jun 8 2017, 09:08 PM
Post #7

Learning Apprentice Player

Group: Members
Member No.: 19.975

Just thought you might like to see these.

https://www.whathifi.com/features/10-worlds...ve-loudspeakers

Most expensive at the bottom.

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jun 9 2017, 03:00 AM
Post #8

Group Icon

These I want! smile.gif That is a full size gal in the middle. That's how huge these are. It's comical. But would be wads of fun in a home theater smile.gif
These were a few hundred grand I think.
Attached Image

and a vintage cray super computer with waterfall to go with it. smile.gif

Attached Image

Nerdvana.

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jun 8 2017, 04:08 PM) *

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jun 9 2017, 03:15 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Jun 9 2017, 09:31 AM
Post #9

Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 18.294

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jun 8 2017, 08:08 PM) *

Buyers are usually arap princes ordering their people buy whatever is the best, and they look for the most expensive smile.gif

A friend of mine after college went to Europe to get a dolby certificate, as far as I know his only job for the past 10 years or so is buliding hometheater systems in saudi arabia smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jun 11 2017, 03:58 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

Makes sense smile.gif That is where all the money is, in terms of geography. If you can find a niche, you can do really well for yourself in the stable oil producing near eastern countries. They have concentrations of wealth that are just staggering. Your buddy could be installing systems in movie theatres with his cert, but probably makes more doing what he is doing smile.gif He can charge whatever he likes, and there are plenty of folks there with the cash to pay it and then they can brag that their home theatre is dolby certified smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Mertay @ Jun 9 2017, 04:31 AM) *
Buyers are usually arap princes ordering their people buy whatever is the best, and they look for the most expensive smile.gif

A friend of mine after college went to Europe to get a dolby certificate, as far as I know his only job for the past 10 years or so is buliding hometheater systems in saudi arabia smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd August 2017 - 12:58 AM