Closed TopicStart new topic
> Trolling
Rammikin
post Jul 7 2017, 09:47 PM
Post #1

Experienced Rock Star

Group: Members
Member No.: 11.529

I started the "More Please" thread to make people think about how troll threads can be toxic, especially here at GMC. Troll threads can change GMC from a fun place to hang out to a pit of despair. Even if you don’t engage in the discussion, it taints GMC since its very presence defines what the forum is about.

Kris has noble reasons to encourage political discussion. He wants to shed the light of truth on sensitive subjects. But AKRich is right. All it accomplishes is: it gives GMC a toxic stench.

There are countless places for people to voice opinions about political matters, and discuss those matters with people with similar, different, or a variety of views. Nobody needs GMC to permit political discussions in order to have a place to engage in such discussions. It's more than a little sad that someone feels GMC is a good place to go to start a political argument.

There are many social situations where political discussion is discouraged because it is counterproductive. I agree with AKRich, GMC should be one such place where political topics are avoided.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
post Jul 8 2017, 12:18 AM
Post #2

GMC:er

Member No.: 4.733

QUOTE (Rammikin @ Jul 7 2017, 09:47 PM) *
I started the "More Please" thread to make people think about how troll threads can be toxic, especially here at GMC. Troll threads can change GMC from a fun place to hang out to a pit of despair. Even if you don’t engage in the discussion, it taints GMC since its very presence defines what the forum is about.

Kris has noble reasons to encourage political discussion. He wants to shed the light of truth on sensitive subjects. But AKRich is right. All it accomplishes is: it gives GMC a toxic stench.

There are countless places for people to voice opinions about political matters, and discuss those matters with people with similar, different, or a variety of views. Nobody needs GMC to permit political discussions in order to have a place to engage in such discussions. It's more than a little sad that someone feels GMC is a good place to go to start a political argument.

There are many social situations where political discussion is discouraged because it is counterproductive. I agree with AKRich, GMC should be one such place where political topics are avoided.

well I guess you can say , you throw out the slop , you see who comes to feed

+Quote Post
Rammikin
post Jul 8 2017, 01:14 AM
Post #3

Experienced Rock Star

QUOTE (Mertay @ Jul 7 2017, 07:45 PM) *
If the forum structure would have allowed it, I'd like to see a political and buy/sell section in the forum but such section(s) would never appear when clicked "view new posts".

I'd be all for a technical solution to the problem. But if it was possible to fix this with a technical solution I have to believe we would have seen it by now.

--------------------

+Quote Post
yoncopin
post Jul 8 2017, 02:07 AM
Post #4

Learning Rock Star

Member No.: 7.667

GMC Forum Filter Chrome Extension

I know you're aware of this but I'll put it here again. I (usually) can hit X on the threads that I know are gonna be trouble before even the temptation to read them. Once they're gone GMC returns to it's better self. Unfortunately, there are a few members who are on my permanent "invisible" list and I never see their posts regardless. I liked the forum a lot better before the political posts were a thing at all, this prevents feeding the trolls and perpetuating those discussions.

QUOTE (Rammikin @ Jul 7 2017, 08:14 PM) *
I'd be all for a technical solution to the problem. But if it was possible to fix this with a technical solution I have to believe we would have seen it by now.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rammikin
post Jul 8 2017, 02:32 AM
Post #5

Experienced Rock Star

Yes, that is a big help. But, it's only for Chrome. And the bigger problem, as Mertay says, is it doesn't help with the clogging of the Latest Forum Posts list and the list of threads in the forum. Some days I visit GMC and my heart sinks when I see that list dominated by political threads.

I liked the forum a lot better before the political posts were a thing at all

That's the bottom line. I can put up with occasional bickering among guitarists about something musical we're all passionate about. But political threads do nothing here at GMC except pollute the forum. The idea that somebody is learning something from them is laughable. We're customers here, and I'm providing constructive feedback as a paying customer about a problem I have with GMC.

--------------------

+Quote Post
yoncopin
post Jul 8 2017, 02:39 AM
Post #6

Learning Rock Star

Member No.: 7.667

QUOTE (Rammikin @ Jul 7 2017, 09:32 PM) *
Yes, that is a big help. But, it's only for Chrome. And the bigger problem, as Mertay says, is it doesn't help with the clogging of the Latest Forum Posts list and the list of threads in the forum. Some days I visit GMC and my heart sinks when I see that list dominated by political threads.

What browser do you use and what links do you need added? I'll take care of it if it will improve things, I wouldn't want to lose your voice around here.

QUOTE (Rammikin @ Jul 7 2017, 09:32 PM) *
That's the bottom line. I can put up with occasional bickering among guitarists about something musical we're all passionate about. But political threads do nothing here at GMC except pollute the forum. The idea that somebody is learning something from them is laughable. We're customers here, and I'm providing constructive feedback as a paying customer about a problem I have with GMC.

+1

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
post Jul 8 2017, 03:54 PM
Post #7

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 2

When political discussions here just echo common US left / right opinions it does get boring.

I must say I do think we have done a pretty decent job bringing up groundless opinions into the light and somewhat debunked them.

However I am all up for a summer break with those discussions. I will post in a separate thread.

----
edit

closing this one, see this thread:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=58340

This post has been edited by Kristofer Dahl: Jul 8 2017, 03:54 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th August 2017 - 10:53 AM