> Chapman 2017 Range
bleez
post Jul 26 2017, 07:02 PM
Post #1

Experienced Tone Seeker

Group: Members
Member No.: 14.292

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooDQDscBKTg

what do you guys think of the new Chapman Pro range, what are they comparable with at their new higher price range?
Costs are similar to premium ibby and a couple of the new signatures are in the US fender price range.

I thought the Rabea Sigs looked pretty tasty. the normal and baritone version sound pretty decent. About £1,200 price tag on those.
I was never too bothered about the old ML1 but the new ML1 Pro Modern looks killer, Id be tempted rolleyes.gif especially the orange one, I really like the finish on that.

This post has been edited by bleez: Jul 26 2017, 07:03 PM

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
yoncopin
post Jul 26 2017, 07:19 PM
Post #2

Learning Rock Star

Member No.: 7.667

All Chapman guitars look nice and are something I'd be interested in, except none of them have fret markers. That's a no go for me, it's just for appearance and removes a functional feature for no reason. Yeah, I could adapt, but why bother when there are so many other choices? Same goes for Ibanez Iron Label.

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
post Jul 26 2017, 07:26 PM
Post #3

Experienced Tone Seeker

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Jul 26 2017, 07:19 PM) *
All Chapman guitars look nice and are something I'd be interested in, except none of them have fret markers. That's a no go for me, it's just for appearance and removes a functional feature for no reason. Yeah, I could adapt, but why bother when there are so many other choices? Same goes for Ibanez Iron Label.

the lack of fret markers bothers me as well TBH. Ive never actually played a guitar without so I dont know what its like but I do find the lack of them a little disconcerting.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Jul 26 2017, 07:34 PM
Post #4

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 18.294

Checked the ML3BEA; https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/ML3-BEA-SMO/s...a-massaad-smoke

and noticed its the same price of an ibanez my friend just got and I mentioned it on the namm topic; https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/RG7PCMLTD-TKG...electric-guitar

Chapmans haven't arrived here so I can't say much but (and I'm aware its apples-oranges) competing with ibanez on price is very hard...I'd also add schecter's new or current options then things would get more complicated biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
post Jul 26 2017, 07:56 PM
Post #5

Experienced Tone Seeker

QUOTE (Mertay @ Jul 26 2017, 07:34 PM) *
Checked the ML3BEA; https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/ML3-BEA-SMO/s...a-massaad-smoke

and noticed its the same price of an ibanez my friend just got and I mentioned it on the namm topic; https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/RG7PCMLTD-TKG...electric-guitar

Chapmans haven't arrived here so I can't say much but (and I'm aware its apples-oranges) competing with ibanez on price is very hard...I'd also add schecter's new or current options then things would get more complicated biggrin.gif

yeah schecter and maybe some of the ESP range?
your friends ibby does look nice! The premium ibbys are very solid, Ive played a couple and they felt great. I noticed the specs on the bea model say the bridge is 'Wilkinson 2-Point Tremolo, Brass Block' is that like the same style as a strat?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Jul 26 2017, 08:14 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 18.294

QUOTE (bleez @ Jul 26 2017, 06:56 PM) *
yeah schecter and maybe some of the ESP range?
your friends ibby does look nice! The premium ibbys are very solid, Ive played a couple and they felt great. I noticed the specs on the bea model say the bridge is 'Wilkinson 2-Point Tremolo, Brass Block' is that like the same style as a strat?

Yeah but the modern Fender range. These are advantages if you prefer the bridge to float, 2 point help tuning stability and the brass block helps preserve some of the tone.

Not really for dive bombing or abusive use you can do with a floyd system but solid for subtle use and has the advantage of not needing to lock anything or cut strings. Wilkinson is a good brand, makes cheap version too but I wouldn't expect low quality versions on such a guitar.

The premiums did get much better over the years, first ones weren't too bad but not special either. Aside wanting a better setup, I couldn't find anything to not like or would change when testing my friends guitar.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rammikin
post Jul 26 2017, 08:42 PM
Post #7

Experienced Rock Star

Member No.: 11.529

QUOTE (bleez @ Jul 26 2017, 06:26 PM) *
the lack of fret markers bothers me as well TBH. Ive never actually played a guitar without so I dont know what its like but I do find the lack of them a little disconcerting.

I have a couple of guitars with fret marker decals. They're durable, look nice, and are available in a variety of styles. You have to examine them very closely to see they're not inlays. Plus they're easy to remove if you want to change them.

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
post Jul 26 2017, 10:42 PM
Post #8

Experienced Tone Seeker

QUOTE (Mertay @ Jul 26 2017, 08:14 PM) *
Yeah but the modern Fender range. These are advantages if you prefer the bridge to float, 2 point help tuning stability and the brass block helps preserve some of the tone.

Not really for dive bombing or abusive use you can do with a floyd system but solid for subtle use and has the advantage of not needing to lock anything or cut strings. Wilkinson is a good brand, makes cheap version too but I wouldn't expect low quality versions on such a guitar.

I like the strat bridge. Ive got it blocked off on the Korean strat cool.gif The regular ML3 Pro is about £400 cheaper than the Bea version. It looks pretty decent as well, not sure what you are losing or gaining between the two, other than the flame top which is very nice.
The new Pro range does look good. I like the neck thru on the ML1, can totally see one of these hitting my credit card in the future rolleyes.gif

QUOTE (Rammikin @ Jul 26 2017, 08:42 PM) *
I have a couple of guitars with fret marker decals. They're durable, look nice, and are available in a variety of styles. You have to examine them very closely to see they're not inlays. Plus they're easy to remove if you want to change them.

I could see me doing this smile.gif are they difficult to line up when you apply them?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rammikin
post Jul 26 2017, 11:08 PM
Post #9

Experienced Rock Star

Member No.: 11.529

QUOTE (bleez @ Jul 26 2017, 09:42 PM) *
I could see me doing this smile.gif are they difficult to line up when you apply them?

I didn't have any trouble. The strings help you keep them in a straight line. This has an inlay at the 12th fret and I added all the dots.

Attached Image

This post has been edited by Rammikin: Jul 27 2017, 02:05 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
post Jul 27 2017, 04:04 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 4.733

QUOTE (bleez @ Jul 26 2017, 07:26 PM) *
I got one . I have never been able to adapt . I bought some cheap fret stickers , it plays like a dream . I don't know how anybody could play without them . To me , it is just enough of a reference point that when you are playing , it helps you keep things on track

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jul 27 2017, 05:35 AM
Post #11

Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

I like the V smile.gif The other one looks like a Schecter imho?

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2017 - 03:19 PM