2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Guitars Seem The Same But Feel Different?
klasaine
post Aug 4 2017, 04:54 PM
Post #21

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 17.304

Excellent link!
Not mentioned in the link though is that this also affects the sound/tone and harmonic complexity of the strings and ultimately the guitar.
Again, a Jazzmaster 'rings' in a completely different way than a Strat - primarily due to the length of string behind the bridge.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Aug 4 2017, 04:54 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
yoncopin
post Aug 4 2017, 07:25 PM
Post #22

Learning Rock Star

Member No.: 7.667

Man, I just applied this to my SG and wow, so much better! The stop tail piece has been set to just whatever height for almost 20 years. I raised it up a fair bit to match breaking angle over the nut. The feel is much improved just like the Strat! So glad I made this thread, and I thought I was just nitpicking.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Aug 4 2017, 07:39 PM
Post #23

Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 18.294

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Aug 4 2017, 03:21 PM) *
I'm glad you mentioned this, because I had kind of closed the book on the topic. My understanding was incomplete, but your post prompted me to do a bit more research. I found this article which explains a lot of the why of string tension and takes into account all of the points you made too. I now understand this a lot better.

Awesome link smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Aug 4 2017, 08:27 PM
Post #24

Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

Very spiff link indeed! For fixed bridge guitars this one adjustment can make a feelable difference in string tension. For a floyd system where the angles are largely fixed, one typically has to use lighter gauge strings or a shorter scale length neck to get a nice loose feel. I've started using .08 sets ever since I tried an yngwie set on something other than a 8 or 7 string smile.gif The neck tension on ERG guitars just didn't seem to agree with light gauge, but my 25.5 scale 6 string floyd ibbys play amazingly well with light strings. Gives a very fluid effortless vibrato and makes bending much more controllable and subtle as well. However, the yngwie sets were a pinch pricey compared to the same set of slinkys in .07 so I went to the slinkys and have stayed there ever since. On my rg3570, they make the guitar amazingly expressive and effortless to play. On my rgt42fm they really made a difference as well.

Attached Image
Attached Image

Some folks HATE HATE HATE this gauge string so if you try it, buy a set before you buy a box full smile.gif Some folks, like me, find them to be a revelation. I really wonder how I got by without them.

I tried a set (with extra strings from a 7 string .08 slinky set) on my 7 string ibby and hated it. Also hated it on my 8 string. Thought that I just hated the gauge. Nope, wronger guitars!!

Todd

QUOTE (klasaine @ Aug 4 2017, 10:58 AM) *
Even if scale length, nut height, neck pocket depth, fret size and material, neck and fngrbrd material, action and string gauge are exactly the same - the main reason a Fender and an Ibby will feel different is that the string length and break angle behind the nut and bridge are different. Same for the width of the nut and bridge saddles. This has a big affect on the playing feel.

These elements seem small but they are not. The easiest way to illustrate this is to play a "Jimi Hendrix" model (reversed headstock) Strat and compare it with a standard (vintage type) model.

*The main element that makes Jazzmasters and Jaguars so unique (the necks are Strat necks) is the amount of string between the bridge and the tailpiece.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 4 2017, 08:30 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Aug 4 2017, 09:23 PM
Post #25

Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 18.294

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Aug 4 2017, 06:25 PM) *
Man, I just applied this to my SG and wow, so much better! The stop tail piece has been set to just whatever height for almost 20 years. I raised it up a fair bit to match breaking angle over the nut. The feel is much improved just like the Strat! So glad I made this thread, and I thought I was just nitpicking.

There is an argument on web about reverse placing the strings on the tail (like wraparound), we did that on a friends LP and to me clearly it made a difference (even noticable in tone). But the height adjustment is essentially for this very reason and who knows why everybody sets them lower and lower...

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 4 2017, 07:27 PM) *

My prestiges neck angle was (not perfect but) fairly streight as seems Yoncopin likes his S, we can say on factory setup ibanez gives importance for such setup probably more than other brands.

A bit of a hassle but not really not too hard for someone doing his/her own setups, if you feel someday the feel can be improved (as seems for most of us the need poped-up after a lot of experience with the instrument) this is the first thing I'd suggest.

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
post Aug 5 2017, 01:11 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 17.304

Just for fun, next time your in a music shop, compare a hard tail Strat with a standard trem model.
Or, if you're in a vintage/used shop try to find a 'top loader' Tele (strings through the back of the bridge plate not the body).

Completely different animals in both cases.

In the Gibson (solid body) realm. Two words ... "Reverse Firebird".

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd November 2017 - 06:34 AM