Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Petitkyu's Bootcamp!, Welcome to the Path of the Warrior!
Todd Simpson
post Aug 9 2017, 06:32 AM
Post #1

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

Welcome to SHRED BOOTCAMP! I'll be your Drill Instructor! And I do mean DRILL! As in a large power tool used in slasher films and Paul Gilbert concerts. Here is were you EARN THE LIVING DEATH out of your fingers and break through any speed bumps/barriers to become a MASTER CHIEF of Shred!

MISSON #1

THE MISSION

1.)Your mission is to go all the way back to the very start. The base of the mountain.

LESSON 1. http://bitly.com/gmclesson1

Which you will play SLOWWWWWWLLY, very SLOWWWLLLLYYYY until you master it at a crawl (As You'll Do With Each Mission, and focus on left hand FORM! Make it SUPER PERFECT!). Speed it up bit by bit until you feel your ready to take it to WAR (Any speed, it's up to you) Shoot a video of you playing the bit along with a METRONOME or DRUM click in the background so that I can hear if your on beat or not, and embed (upload to youtube then embed here using INSERT SPECIAL ITEM) it as a post it as a reply to this post. I'll then offer a constructive and brutally honest critique.

THE AFTERMATH

Upon nailing the crap out of lesson one, and playing it a clean as a freshly waxed floor, you will be given your first insignia of Rank in BOOTCAMP!

After that proceed to MISSION #2. Here is a link to all of the missions. All 400+ of them. Our highest ranking Soldier is currently at LEVEL 30.
http://bit.ly/twtgmc

Here is the link to your own PRIVATE HOUSE OF PAIN!...Er I mean.. SHRED!
bit.ly/petitkyusbootcamp

Practice!
Todd

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 13 2017, 07:24 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
petitkyu
post Aug 9 2017, 04:13 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 22.639

Hi Todd,

thank you for accepting me !
For lesson 1, my "zone of confort" is about 80-85 bpm... I will have to train a little bit in order to gain some speed... Hitting 100 bpm would be nice !

This post has been edited by petitkyu: Aug 9 2017, 04:14 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Aug 13 2017, 07:19 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

Keep in mind that there is NEVER a speed requirement in bootcamp. Speed is a byproduct of precision and all of these lessons really focus on getting you to play in a precise manner. Over many lessons, speed just sorta happens by itself. You may not even realize it. So as long as you can play the bit in a precise fashion, you are ready to level up to the next bit smile.gif There are over 400 lessons and the first few are very basic so I'd say do them quickly and get on to the really spiff bits.

Sarge

QUOTE (petitkyu @ Aug 9 2017, 11:13 AM) *
Hi Todd,

thank you for accepting me !
For lesson 1, my "zone of confort" is about 80-85 bpm... I will have to train a little bit in order to gain some speed... Hitting 100 bpm would be nice !

--------------------

+Quote Post
petitkyu
post Aug 19 2017, 11:11 PM
Post #4

Hi Sarge,

reporting for my first mission... I think I need to improve my right hand position, as I rest it on the body of the guitar (thumb side) in addition to rest it on the strings (palm mute)... any advices welcome! I include several takes at increasing rates... I feel "comfortable" up to 90-95 ppm, although when I listen to the soundtrack, this might be too optimistic! I have the funny impression that it is easier to be regular when the left hand has more work to do (like in the beginning of Darius' lesson on alternate picking...).

at 80 bpm:

at 90 bpm:

at 95 bpm:

at 100 bpm:

Sorry, all the videos stop abruptly, but I recorded far too long for each take...

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Aug 20 2017, 10:24 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

Well fought Soldier!!! You've drawn FIRST BLOOD!! Also, it's great to see you are starting off with a very good command of the fundamentals involved in BOOTCAMP. So let's get to it!

Let's Debrief!!

1.)RIGHT HAND PLANTED: Your right hand is nice and planted on the bridge which reduces string noise and keeps the notes in this mission very separate as they are intended to be. The only thing I might suggest is that you lower the right hand just a bit so that it's more centered on the bridge so that you could play a lick from top to bottom string by just angling your wrist instead of moving your hand as some folks get tempted to do. It's not a crime, just something worth working on. smile.gif

2.)STEADY PICKING: One of the goals of this mission is to teach you to pick with a very steady rate of flow. Using exactly the same amount of time between strikes. This is part of the 'Learning to play like a Robot so you can shred like a God" philosophy. You did a great job at every speed of playing spot on with the tempo. Nice!

3.)SYNCH: Your right hand and your left hand need to be able to talk to each other so that you pick and fret in synch. Your hand synch is VERY good on all of these and you are more than ready for what's ahead.

In other words you just ....

LEVELED UP!!!!

Attached Image

Move on to the Next Mission Soldier!!

Sarge

QUOTE (petitkyu @ Aug 19 2017, 06:11 PM) *
Hi Sarge,

reporting for my first mission... I think I need to improve my right hand position, as I rest it on the body of the guitar (thumb side) in addition to rest it on the strings (palm mute)... any advices welcome! I include several takes at increasing rates... I feel "comfortable" up to 90-95 ppm, although when I listen to the soundtrack, this might be too optimistic! I have the funny impression that it is easier to be regular when the left hand has more work to do (like in the beginning of Darius' lesson on alternate picking...).

at 80 bpm:

at 90 bpm:

at 95 bpm:

at 100 bpm:

Sorry, all the videos stop abruptly, but I recorded far too long for each take...

--------------------

+Quote Post
petitkyu
post Aug 20 2017, 10:33 PM
Post #6

Thanks Sarge! I'll work on my right hand position for mission 2!

Would you mind correcting my name on the badge? It's petitkyu without the "e" between petit (french for small) and kyu (some ranking term in martial arts... the smaller, the better!)
I'll add it to my signature!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Yesterday, 06:07 AM
Post #7

Group Icon

Will do Soldier!

Sarge
Attached Image

QUOTE (petitkyu @ Aug 20 2017, 05:33 PM) *
Thanks Sarge! I'll work on my right hand position for mission 2!

Would you mind correcting my name on the badge? It's petitkyu without the "e" between petit (french for small) and kyu (some ranking term in martial arts... the smaller, the better!)
I'll add it to my signature!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Yesterday, 06:09 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd August 2017 - 10:14 AM