> Fuzz Experience
Mertay
post Aug 9 2017, 10:14 PM
Post #1

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 18.294

Last night went to a friend who bought a dunlop henrix mini fuzzface. He told me he couldn't get anything near a fuzz tone out of it so I helped.

It did indeed sound more like an overdrive with his setup, first I noticed he had the boss tuner first in the chain. I remembered reading specially vintage fuzz's don't like buffers before it so we removed the tuner. The tone indeed opened up but this didn't help to bring any fuzzyness.

Then we tried guitar-fuzz-amp as he had a gazzilion pedals after the fuzz (some boss), and that didn't help smile.gif

We opened youtube to check poduct demo's, in some indeed it sounded more like an overdrive but the ones that it actually sounded like a fuzz was when the output of the pedal was also cranked and that solved the issue.

Just for fun we tried 2-3 more pedals before it to make it sound even more fuzzy, the ds1 worked well despite it also has a buffer. By the way, till now I had more luck with boosting with ds1 type pedals rather than OD's but thats a different topic...

Anyway the pedal has to go cause having to use the full output to get the fuzz tone simply wouldn't work with his amp setup and other pedals so keep that in mind when you're in the market for a fuzz (but also want mega dist. pedals on your board). The mxr badass vari-fuzz from what we watched seems could work better for him, currently out of stock where we live but I'll let you guys know if he gets one.

This post has been edited by Mertay: Aug 9 2017, 10:31 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klasaine
post Aug 9 2017, 11:07 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 17.304

What kind of amp?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Aug 10 2017, 02:47 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

QUOTE (klasaine @ Aug 9 2017, 10:07 PM) *
What kind of amp?

His main amp is a hotrod dlx-lll, a yellow enclosured that has a jensen speaker. He also has a mesa and marshall but we didn't try it with them.

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
post Aug 10 2017, 04:41 PM
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 17.304

The 'classic' Fuzz Face type of pedal - and this would naturally include the Dunlop mini-fuzz face - are actually not high output, high gain or heavy drive type pedals at all. Their original function was to 'fuzz out' amps that were already driving pretty hard. Most guys would have their (non master volume) Marshall up to at least 6 and then push the input stage with the FF. Volume of the ff cranked and the 'fuzz' maybe at about 1/2 or below. Obviously Hendrix is the benchmark for the "Fuzz Face" sound.

Also, but important to note is that any germanium transistor based drive unit (the red one) performs better when the transistors are kept cool. As in they don't work that great out here (LA) in the summer (on an out door gig) unless you're in an air conditioned room. *Some guys will put them in the freezer for an hour or two before a gig.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Aug 10 2017, 08:14 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

QUOTE (klasaine @ Aug 10 2017, 03:41 PM) *
The 'classic' Fuzz Face type of pedal - and this would naturally include the Dunlop mini-fuzz face - are actually not high output, high gain or heavy drive type pedals at all. Their original function was to 'fuzz out' amps that were already driving pretty hard. Most guys would have their (non master volume) Marshall up to at least 6 and then push the input stage with the FF. Volume of the ff cranked and the 'fuzz' maybe at about 1/2 or below. Obviously Hendrix is the benchmark for the "Fuzz Face" sound.

Also, but important to note is that any germanium transistor based drive unit (the red one) performs better when the transistors are kept cool. As in they don't work that great out here (LA) in the summer (on an out door gig) unless you're in an air conditioned room. *Some guys will put them in the freezer for an hour or two before a gig.

Thanks! I'll forward your reply to my friend too

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2017 - 10:00 AM