Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tips On New Practice Schedule
bleez
post Aug 14 2017, 09:01 PM
Post #1

Experienced Tone Seeker

Group: Members
Member No.: 14.292

Im trying to get my practice sessions a bit more efficient. Any thoughts or advice would be great smile.gif
Ive got about 2 hours worth of time daily. Ive been trying to figure out what is the most important stuff I want to work on and as clichéd as it is....
Alt picking is still a big priority for me, then its maybe being able to play runs using hammer / pulls and legato. then I need to improve my riffing, like for playing more metal type stuff.

As for the picking - I had thought an hour on that maybe split into 30 mins of patterns to a metronome and 30 mins on 1 or 2 picking lessons.
I have no problem with the metronome stuff, I dont get bored and I actually quite enjoy the non-musical aspect, its like a form of meditation smile.gif
with that said do you think that actual patterns matter that much and what are peoples thoughts on including the old Vinnie Moore style chromatic stuff along to the metronome like - here at 2:50 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbFuW6Opjl8 I do these quite a lot at the moment.

then I might do a similar thing with hammer / pull runs and legato for 40 mins and 20 mins riffing stuff ( 20 mins doesnt seem much though, dunno but Im probably a bit better at playing riffs than fast picking )

I'd like to delve into sweep picking but I thought its best to get my overall hand sync improved first so thats a future thing and I plan on learning more theory but I'll do that outwith this 2 hour practice.
Also, I think I take on far too many lessons. I should probably reduce those a fair bit huh.gif

any thoughts would be appreciated.

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
post Aug 15 2017, 03:35 AM
Post #2

Learning Rock Star

Member No.: 10.312

Metronomes are oddly mesmerizing aren't they? smile.gif

I recall (and I wish I had the reference to share :/ ), that the most efficient way to pound something into your brain is to devote 15 minutes to it, then take a 5 minute break doing something completely different - then do it again. 15 minute blocks instead of 1/2 hour blocks might be more productive?

You might want to include simple backing tracks with common chord progressions and manageable tempos to practice your alternate picking / runs and arpeggios to. Metronomes are great for getting your mechanical precision up to snuff, so keep doing that, but without musical context, it's difficult to learn how to link those runs and arpeggios together, in the same key, musically. Short of being in a band, practicing to backing tracks are the next best thing to tie your practice to real world application.

my 2 cents, hopefully not deflated too much biggrin.gif
Chris!

QUOTE (bleez @ Aug 14 2017, 12:01 PM) *
Im trying to get my practice sessions a bit more efficient. Any thoughts or advice would be great smile.gif
Ive got about 2 hours worth of time daily. Ive been trying to figure out what is the most important stuff I want to work on and as clichéd as it is....
Alt picking is still a big priority for me, then its maybe being able to play runs using hammer / pulls and legato. then I need to improve my riffing, like for playing more metal type stuff.

As for the picking - I had thought an hour on that maybe split into 30 mins of patterns to a metronome and 30 mins on 1 or 2 picking lessons.
I have no problem with the metronome stuff, I dont get bored and I actually quite enjoy the non-musical aspect, its like a form of meditation smile.gif
with that said do you think that actual patterns matter that much and what are peoples thoughts on including the old Vinnie Moore style chromatic stuff along to the metronome like - here at 2:50 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbFuW6Opjl8 I do these quite a lot at the moment.

then I might do a similar thing with hammer / pull runs and legato for 40 mins and 20 mins riffing stuff ( 20 mins doesnt seem much though, dunno but Im probably a bit better at playing riffs than fast picking )

I'd like to delve into sweep picking but I thought its best to get my overall hand sync improved first so thats a future thing and I plan on learning more theory but I'll do that outwith this 2 hour practice.
Also, I think I take on far too many lessons. I should probably reduce those a fair bit huh.gif

any thoughts would be appreciated.

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
bleez
post Aug 15 2017, 12:44 PM
Post #3

Experienced Tone Seeker

QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Aug 15 2017, 03:35 AM) *
my 2 cents, hopefully not deflated too much biggrin.gif
Chris!

no, not at all smile.gif valid points. I only have a few patterns from Ben which are similar to the stuff you would play to a metronome but have an actual backing track.
My thinking is that the pure metronome stuff will enable me to play the more difficult lessons so I dont worry too much about them not being musical. That said, very few patterns Ive worked on have ever found their way into a lead part Ive played over music.

as for the chunks of time, if you schedule say 15 mins for metronome work, would that be 15 mins at your fastest bpm or include slower speeds and working up... that's probably a daft question.

--------------------

+Quote Post
yoncopin
post Aug 15 2017, 02:01 PM
Post #4

Learning Rock Star

Member No.: 7.667

I've also heard that there is a point of diminishing returns for the picking exercises, also like 15-30 mins. From what I understand, your brain needs some time for it to sink in and doing the exercises with the perfect focus needed gets a lot harder as the session gets longer. But, I can't pick that fast so what do I know. I have been doing Todd's Shred Journey to build my picking speed and it's definitely been working slowly but surely. The feedback and badges are great and you don't have to think up the plan, it's already there for you to follow.

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
post Aug 15 2017, 06:26 PM
Post #5

Experienced Tone Seeker

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Aug 15 2017, 02:01 PM) *
I've also heard that there is a point of diminishing returns for the picking exercises, also like 15-30 mins. From what I understand, your brain needs some time for it to sink in and doing the exercises with the perfect focus needed gets a lot harder as the session gets longer. But, I can't pick that fast so what do I know. I have been doing Todd's Shred Journey to build my picking speed and it's definitely been working slowly but surely. The feedback and badges are great and you don't have to think up the plan, it's already there for you to follow.

yeah, I spent 18 months really focusing most of my practice time to picking, I didnt get the results I thought I might rolleyes.gif I was probably well into that point of diminishing returns. Hopefully this time I'll drop those elements that were less than effective.
I done some of todds bootcamp stuff back then, I should probably revisit that when I get my new schedule sorted as I did find it useful.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
post Aug 15 2017, 08:10 PM
Post #6

GMC:er

Member No.: 11.477

About Alternate Picking.
I've been grinding myself and hope you don't mind if I share some of my experiences from the whole ordeal.

So backing in November I decided to take guitar serious, REALLY serious. My first goal was the Intro to Technical Difficulties (130 bpms) I started at 60 bpms and my top speeds at the time were 85 bpm.

I grinding like 6h/day that month, 6 straight hours. The progress was there, but was not that big.
How could I improve?! That was all that was in my mind.

So I start to break things down, by that I mean having a simple lick and dismantling all its proprieties.

Imagine the following lick:

I would break it and practice the different motions, so one simple exercise would generate like 10 different ones.

Example:

Another major point, that helped my a lot was practicing with bursts. Imagine you want to play a lick at 100 bpm, I would practice at like 70 bpms with bursts to 140 bpm. Something like this:

Hope that you can take any kind of helpful idea from it tongue.gif
And good luck.

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Aug 15 2017, 09:35 PM

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
post Aug 15 2017, 08:44 PM
Post #7

Learning Rock Star

Member No.: 10.312

QUOTE (bleez @ Aug 15 2017, 03:44 AM) *
no, not at all smile.gif valid points. I only have a few patterns from Ben which are similar to the stuff you would play to a metronome but have an actual backing track.
My thinking is that the pure metronome stuff will enable me to play the more difficult lessons so I dont worry too much about them not being musical. That said, very few patterns Ive worked on have ever found their way into a lead part Ive played over music.

as for the chunks of time, if you schedule say 15 mins for metronome work, would that be 15 mins at your fastest bpm or include slower speeds and working up... that's probably a daft question.

That's a tough call - I'd say always press your limits, but build up to them in that block of time so that you ensure your precision doesn't suffer.

There is a metronome app by frozen ape (apple app store) that allows you to build up speed every few seconds. I use it by setting a reasonable tempo that allows me to start practicing accurately, and every 15 or 30 seconds, increases the tempo by 2 - I quickly find out my limit that way, and am always pushing that boundary.

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
post Aug 15 2017, 08:53 PM
Post #8

Experienced Guitar Lord

Member No.: 5.185

I would try to browse through the various GMC "melodical" lessons and take licks from them. That way you can practice interesting licks with the metronome, fulfilling your specific goals, but at the same time work on nice lessons, that later can be submitted to REC.

From my perspective pushing yourself in one technique at a time is not much less effective than pushing many techniques at once. The brain can learn "only this much" at one day. It is more important to challenge yourself every day, push your limits, than practice everything. More focus = more push = body knows it must develop/adapt.

Hope my idea is not too chaotic to be understood;)

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
post Aug 15 2017, 10:58 PM
Post #9

Experienced Tone Seeker

QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Aug 15 2017, 08:10 PM) *
Hope that you can take any kind of helpful idea from it tongue.gif
And good luck.

thanks for posting those vids, your picking sounds great btw. 6 hour sessions! Id like to try those sort of mammoth sessions. really liked the variations you used on the 2nd vid, cool idea. I think I'll try and use that.

QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Aug 15 2017, 08:44 PM) *
That's a tough call - I'd say always press your limits, but build up to them in that block of time so that you ensure your precision doesn't suffer.

that app style of increments seems cool. Ive often thought I spend too long on the slower speeds.

QUOTE (Marek Rojewski @ Aug 15 2017, 08:53 PM) *
I would try to browse through the various GMC "melodical" lessons and take licks from them. That way you can practice interesting licks with the metronome, fulfilling your specific goals, but at the same time work on nice lessons, that later can be submitted to REC.

From my perspective pushing yourself in one technique at a time is not much less effective than pushing many techniques at once. The brain can learn "only this much" at one day. It is more important to challenge yourself every day, push your limits, than practice everything. More focus = more push = body knows it must develop/adapt.

Hope my idea is not too chaotic to be understood;)

Its crossed my mind to focus on one technique per session maybe just doing picking every 2nd day, dunno. might be a trail and error thing.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th December 2017 - 05:31 AM