> Reminder When Studying Guitar
Mertay
post Aug 19 2017, 08:57 PM
Post #1

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 18.294

When we sit with a bit too much comfort, begining to a new GMC lesson or even when jamming at home over a backing track....don't let the fretboard face too high cause you want to see what you're doing easily.

The guitar body must basically touch your pelvis bone's edge when sitting down properly. If you haven't been careful about this before try it, you might not see the fretboard as easy but you'll notice the comfort of specially the left hand.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
post Aug 20 2017, 11:19 PM
Post #2

Learning Rock Star

Group: Members
Member No.: 5.298

I've been sitting down practicing for a long, long time. Not had any band to play with etc., but just today I tried standing up playing a bit, cause I'm starting a band hopefully soon, and it's a whole new world. Or rather, a bit different and more difficult, even with the guitar high up.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Aug 20 2017, 11:39 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 18.294

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Aug 20 2017, 10:19 PM) *
I've been sitting down practicing for a long, long time. Not had any band to play with etc., but just today I tried standing up playing a bit, cause I'm starting a band hopefully soon, and it's a whole new world. Or rather, a bit different and more difficult, even with the guitar high up.

Incase it helps, don't get the guitar to stand right in front of you (guitar body touching your stomach) and don't keep it too low cause it looks cool biggrin.gif Check petrucci photo's on stage it might help for comfort.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
post Aug 20 2017, 11:46 PM
Post #4

Learning Rock Star

Group: Members
Member No.: 5.298

I actually have my guitar just a bit higher than Petrucci biggrin.gif More like Tom Morello.

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Aug 20 2017, 11:47 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Aug 28 2017, 03:27 AM
Post #5

Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

I hate to sound like a broken record, but ideally, your guitar should hit you in the same spot whether you are sitting or standing in order to basically provide you with the same angle of attack/fret access that you get when seated. Otherwise, you may notice that things you could normally play just fine sitting down, seem awkward standing up.

Some folks only practice standing up. I'm not one of them. For these folks, they can wear the guitar like SLASH and be fine. They are used to it from always standing up. I practice sitting down in proper classical position with the guitar between my legs and my right foot raised about 10 inches off the floor, not side saddle. Some folks put the guitar on the right leg "side saddle" and it works for them. I find it actually inhibits fret access and causes pain in my arms so I never sit like that. But like most things, it's something one has to find his own path with based on experience smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Aug 20 2017, 06:46 PM) *
I actually have my guitar just a bit higher than Petrucci biggrin.gif More like Tom Morello.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th December 2017 - 05:32 AM