> Quartersawn Timber., An explanation.
Sensible Jones
post Sep 22 2017, 06:56 PM
Post #1

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 6.517

We've all heard the term but I bet most of us don't know the exact process. I have tried to explain it verbally (and written) quite a few times to people but not always with any amount of success.
Anyway, here is an animation which explains it brilliantly:-

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Sep 22 2017, 08:08 PM
Post #2

Learning Apprentice Player

Group: Members
Member No.: 19.975

Interesting, thank you Mr Jones smile.gif

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Sep 22 2017, 09:10 PM
Post #3

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

Great vid! Thanks for the share smile.gif Does a great job explaining what a quarter sawn neck is made from. Ibanez necks that started life as 17mm at the nut from this method did have some stability issues due to the fact that they were just so thin. As a result, Ibanez started using the 'Skunk stripe" of darker wood like Bubinga, which is a much stronger wood, to help keep the neck from warping under stress. Eventually Ibanez figured out that they were going to need to start using Titanium support rods on either side of the truss rod to allow for maxium stability without causing significant weight shift on the guitar. My current fave Ibby in my collection has the rods and is quarter sawn.

http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/RG3570Z
Attached Image

My original Wizard Neck on my RG550 doesn't have the skunk stripe or the support rods and is much more prone to warping. It's got a bit more curve/bow to it for sure. It's almost expected from these guitars of this era. The 3570 has all the playability but none of the stability issues which is great smile.gif

Todd

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 11:21 AM