> Music Lost It's Soul? Sadly....
Todd Simpson
post Sep 23 2017, 06:57 PM
Post #1

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

There was a post about music losing its soul recently. I was reminded of it when I saw this video. The sad truth is that, yes, to some degree, "Music" as in the Music Business, has in fact lost it's Soul and it's Mind.

*ALERT: Please forgive the potty mouth on this guy smile.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Sep 23 2017, 06:59 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bleez
post Sep 23 2017, 07:34 PM
Post #2

Experienced Tone Seeker

Group: Members
Member No.: 14.292

what's a 'record deal'? huh.gif
Isn't mainstream music based entertainment full of sub par mediocre garbage though? Also, Kanye West 'singing' Bohemian Rhapsody is much worse. smile.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
klasaine
post Sep 24 2017, 12:03 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 17.304

1) A 'record deal' in 2017 doesn't mean shit. In the case of the "cash me outside" girl it means that somebody paid for a video and recording and some social media. Judging by the quality of all of it, I'd say max $10,000 invested (that's probably high). And said rec co has most likely inked a deal in which they keep the lion's share of whatever it makes and I'm sure they own ALL the rights. They probably have even TM'd 'cash me outside'. I would. She did all the publicity herself with that Dr. Phil episode. So that's taken care of.

2) There has ALWAYS been BS acts like this. We just forget them. Rec cos and music agents/managers have always latched on to some current (at the time) celeb that has nothing to do with music and try to get a quick hit and make some do-re-mi.
*Watch the movie "Boogie Nights".

This post has been edited by klasaine: Sep 24 2017, 12:04 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rammikin
post Sep 24 2017, 02:38 AM
Post #4

Experienced Rock Star

Member No.: 11.529

What's something nice I could say about this guy's rant on youtube? I guess I could say it isn't the worse thing ever on youtube.

He thinks there was a time when success in the music business was exclusively reserved for people with superior musicianship skills? He thinks a "record deal" these days means anything? He thinks an artist who already has a large audience wouldn't be attractive to a record company? He thinks he's the sole arbiter of what good music is? As he himself said in the video "I don't know jack shit". I think that sums it up.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
post Sep 24 2017, 03:22 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 11.477

My only question is;
Why is this the stuff the mainstream wants to consume?

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
bleez
post Sep 24 2017, 03:47 PM
Post #6

Experienced Tone Seeker

Member No.: 14.292

QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Sep 24 2017, 03:22 PM) *
My only question is;

I think its down to relentless and effective marketing from record companies and a lack of effort from their intended audience.

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Sep 24 2017, 04:31 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

Yup smile.gif Sadly, also, a huge "Dumbing Down" of the audience IMHO after being fed years of truly crappy "Music"

QUOTE (bleez @ Sep 24 2017, 10:47 AM) *
I think its down to relentless and effective marketing from record companies and a lack of effort from their intended audience.

I know right? What's a "Record Lable" ? smile.gif

QUOTE (bleez @ Sep 23 2017, 02:34 PM) *
what's a 'record deal'? huh.gif
Isn't mainstream music based entertainment full of sub par mediocre garbage though? Also, Kanye West 'singing' Bohemian Rhapsody is much worse. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
post Sep 24 2017, 06:26 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 24 2017, 08:31 AM) *
Yup smile.gif Sadly, also, a huge "Dumbing Down" of the audience IMHO after being fed years of truly crappy "Music"

If you want to call it that, 'dumbing down' has had several appearances in music history. One of the more recent and very famous one's was the period between about 1958 and 1963 (Fabian, Bobby Vee, Elvis movies, Dean Martin and Doris Day, etc.) and then boom ... the Beatles and then the British invasion in general.
Depending on your demographic, 80's L.A. pop metal was/is seen as a pretty significant dumbing down. And then ... Seattle.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Sep 25 2017, 12:45 AM
Post #9

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 1.289

QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Sep 24 2017, 11:22 AM) *
My only question is;

record labels? Radio? Tv? or Audience?

Who do you think is responsible of what music becomes mainstream? Musicians and lovers of non mainstream music in my country usually complain about low quality music, bad bands, and copies of the copies, becoming mainstream. I won't judge or agree about the term "bad music" but I think that music becomes mainstream not because of record labels or radios promoting this, it's because of people consuming it, they want to consume it. Audience loves those artist and music, and they WANT to consume them. There is some kind of popular rock called "rock barrial" that is mainstream here, and the bands become massive even before signing with a big label. Then, the labels magnify it.

This is an example of the most critiqued band at the moment in my country. They are also the most popular band right now. They have become that big being independent, now they are signed with Sony, the most important latinoamerican label. Check one of their last concerts ending picture:

Attached Image

I don't think that mainstream rock becomes mainstream because of the music industry, I think that it becomes mainstream because of the hard work of the musicians, and what's more important people connecting with the lyrics, songs and music style.

Anybody agrees?

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Rammikin
post Sep 25 2017, 01:14 AM
Post #10

Experienced Rock Star

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 24 2017, 11:45 PM) *
Anybody agrees?

Absolutely. It takes a special kind of hubris to pronounce art as good or bad. It either connects with you or it doesn't. It either connects with the masses or it doesn't. As artists, we strive to move people. To make them feel something. We do not aspire to adhere to somebody's arbitrary judgement of what is good or bad. Guitarists, because we focus so much on technical proficiency, are especially prone to falling into the trap of categorizing music as good or bad based on musicianship. In the real world, that doesn't, has never, and should never matter.

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
post Sep 25 2017, 03:20 AM
Post #11

I say 'all of the above'.
Ultimately of course the people choose what they want.
Having said that, marketing definitely works when done right. The media, which now includes ISPs, cell phone providers, Apple and Amazon, have a pretty broad reach and hella resources to access and tap when they think we should buy something. They absolutely know and count on the general populous to be too busy to search what they really might like and they do shove a lot of shit down out throats.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Sep 25 2017, 05:45 AM
Post #12

Group Icon

I hear a guy call in to the EDDIE TRUNK radio show (Eddie is a long long long time supporter of all things Metal) and ask "What happened to Michael Sweet of Stryper. Eddie went nuts. He's pals with Michael and pointed out that Michael had done no less than 10 studio albums in recent years with everyone from George Lynch, to his old band Stryper. That sorta struck me. I didn't realize that most folks who were "Metal Heads" at some point, just gave up on it when MTV/Radio stopped playing much of anything heavy. It's true that there is a wad of music out there that could easily be called "Crap", but there is also a wad of music out there that is really quite "good" imho, even if it's being done by one guy in his basement in Idaho. However, such music is NOT gonna find you. You have to go and FIND IT. I've been digging for decent music for so long I just thought that's what everybody did. A LOT of GMCers do that, and we share it with each other. But wads of folks, just don't. So they end up being blissfully unaware of music that they may actually enjoy.

Certainly, the easy stuff to find these days, the stuff on the Radio, etc. Is mostly, well, offensive to my ears. But that's just me. The good stuff is out there but you gotta put in the effort to go find it smile.gif Also, it's arguable that a huge chunk of heavy music that was new way back in the 80's is still considered some of the better heavy music in existence, but that doesn't mean that you should be that guy that 'Doesn't listen to any music after 1989". There is good music being made smile.gif Please feel free to share some in this thread as a way to rail against all the really horrid music in the thread smile.gif

One thing I did come across that sorta shocked me was the fact that MEGADETH released RUST IN PEACE 27 YEARS AGO!!!!!!!!!!
HOLY CRAP!!!!!!

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Sep 25 2017, 02:21 PM
Post #13

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 1.289

Rust in Peace!! What a masterpiece!!

Relating what Todd said with my comment I have to say that I think that TV shows stopped playing Metal because the audience started to decrease and TV shows streaming other styles started to gain more audience. This made producers to adapt to times to lower the quantity of metal on TV until it dissapeared. So once again, it's not TV, it's people that decides, and then TV maginifies it. As an important metal guy has said.... Sad but true!

For me, TV is Youtube, and radio is Spotify, so I don't care too much about radio, tv, and what people listens to... smile.gif

Check my YT home recommendations... who needs TV? laugh.gif

Attached Image

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Rammikin
post Sep 25 2017, 02:25 PM
Post #14

Experienced Rock Star

QUOTE (klasaine @ Sep 25 2017, 02:20 AM) *
I say 'all of the above'.
Ultimately of course the people choose what they want.
Having said that, marketing definitely works when done right. The media, which now includes ISPs, cell phone providers, Apple and Amazon, have a pretty broad reach and hella resources to access and tap when they think we should buy something. They absolutely know and count on the general populous to be too busy to search what they really might like and they do shove a lot of shit down out throats.

Compared to the old days of radio and MTV? Relatively speaking, those days were like a firehose with a small number of media outlets and record labels controlling the broadcasting of popular music. The choice of the new music we were exposed to was in the hands of a small number of media outlets. These days, don't you think spotify, youtube, pandora, apple music, and the decline of the record labels have resulted in a great democratization of music? The choice of the new music we are exposed to is, for the first time, in our hands.

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
post Sep 25 2017, 02:53 PM
Post #15

Yes but the real media outlet was the RECORD STORE. You had thousands or even 10's of thousands of albums to peruse. And your friends and acquaintances were also your arbiters. Out here radio was really varied and in my experience across the country - pretty regional. Especially before Clear Channel (Reagan dereg BS).

I do believe it is in our hands (and I love it!) but most folks hands are too busy with Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter and Facebook - not too mention texting in general - to put a lot of (if any) time into music. There are too many outlets. People have no time to put in the work it takes to find what they really like. Way too many distractions. So they go with what has the biggest numbers. Which is also the stuff that floats (so to speak) to the top of everybody's aggregated or curated lists. Then of course there's the total opposite of that. The folks that are into a band or artist that only them and 14 other people have ever heard of.

Listening to music is not a primary activity anymore. What kind of music you're into is not a way to define yourself anymore. *I'm talking about the non-muso general population that's under 35 years old.
For now, music is not the cultural driver it was up until the mid 90s. Tech has taken over. Tech guys are the new 'rock stars'.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Sep 25 2017, 03:00 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Sep 26 2017, 08:55 AM
Post #16

Group Icon

Good point!! The RECOMMEND tab on youtube has helped me find wads of good things to listen to. Some folks seem to have a very bad relationship with what gets suggested to them on youtube. Not me personally, I've found lots of diamonds in the rough (once you dig through some crap to be sure) that I would not have found otherwise smile.gif I think it's great that youtube helps us find music that might have been lost to us otherwise. So I"m with ya there smile.gif I found THE BIRTHDAY MASSACRE through youtube suggestions, (not a "Metal" band per se, but a good band).

So yeah, I'm with you on TV/RADIO, I find I watch less and less TV and listen to less and less RADIO as so much of what is going on with TV/RADIO is just so offensive to my senses. There are some good shows, and some good radio. But like you said, it's just easier to get it streamed these days. smile.gif

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 25 2017, 09:21 AM) *
Rust in Peace!! What a masterpiece!!

Relating what Todd said with my comment I have to say that I think that TV shows stopped playing Metal because the audience started to decrease and TV shows streaming other styles started to gain more audience. This made producers to adapt to times to lower the quantity of metal on TV until it dissapeared. So once again, it's not TV, it's people that decides, and then TV maginifies it. As an important metal guy has said.... Sad but true!

For me, TV is Youtube, and radio is Spotify, so I don't care too much about radio, tv, and what people listens to... smile.gif

Check my YT home recommendations... who needs TV? laugh.gif

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 11:22 AM