> Stacking Noise Gates To Keep Things 'tight"
Todd Simpson
post Sep 25 2017, 07:38 PM
Post #1

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

Here is Misha from Periphery sharing how he gets a good "Modern Metal" tone. One of the tricks he uses is "STACKING GATES" E.G. Using two noise gates at different settings at different points in the signal chain to allow him to do very fast starts/stops/mutes, without any "Gain Bleed" which can ruin a good polyrythm!!

I found out about stacking gates through trial and error building patches in OVERLOUD TH2 where now nearly every gain patch I create defaults to having two gates at different settings. When using my 11 Rack, in addition to it's internal gate, I also use the MXR "Smart Gate" out in front as the first thing going in the front of the input section. My Soldano Clone rack preamp is then placed in the FX loop.

How do you guys build your tone in software vs hardware?

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Sep 25 2017, 08:06 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 18.294

I recently bought a Boss gt-1 biggrin.gif Seriously wasn't considering it until my friend offered me a price I can't pass, worst case I could easily sell for what I paid for.

First I found a relativly flat amp inside it and shaped a tone with its eq and provided cab.s. Now I'm analyzing the freq. responce with the gt-1 cab. disabled and opening impulse-cab.s in the computer.

I'm using the eq's inside the boss (it provides tons of eq's with is very good) to shape the gt-1 cab. responce as close to the impulse-cab. I opened in the computer. Didn't have enough time yet but early results are very promising smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Sep 26 2017, 08:49 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

The High Gain and really all the dirty amp sims and the cabs are the weak spots on that unit to be sure. The tone quality is just not very good. But for the price, it's got wads of handy FX built in so as long as you keep away from the bits that drag it down, should be a nice addition to any signal chain smile.gif Plenty of EQ, Chorus, Reverb, Delay, etc. Like having a bunch of boss pedals in a handy stomp selector switch which is basically what it is.

Please do share some recordings of what you are able to get out of it so that folks can hear smile.gif Lots of folks really bag on that unit since it's cheap and the distortion/high gain amps are a bit crud. But like I was saying, as a cheap way to get wads of fx that are programmable and easy to control, it's hard to beat for the price.

Anyone else care to share their experiences?

QUOTE (Mertay @ Sep 25 2017, 03:06 PM) *
I recently bought a Boss gt-1 biggrin.gif Seriously wasn't considering it until my friend offered me a price I can't pass, worst case I could easily sell for what I paid for.

First I found a relativly flat amp inside it and shaped a tone with its eq and provided cab.s. Now I'm analyzing the freq. responce with the gt-1 cab. disabled and opening impulse-cab.s in the computer.

I'm using the eq's inside the boss (it provides tons of eq's with is very good) to shape the gt-1 cab. responce as close to the impulse-cab. I opened in the computer. Didn't have enough time yet but early results are very promising smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Sep 26 2017, 10:10 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 18.294

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 26 2017, 07:49 AM) *
The High Gain and really all the dirty amp sims and the cabs are the weak spots on that unit to be sure. The tone quality is just not very good. But for the price, it's got wads of handy FX built in so as long as you keep away from the bits that drag it down, should be a nice addition to any signal chain smile.gif Plenty of EQ, Chorus, Reverb, Delay, etc. Like having a bunch of boss pedals in a handy stomp selector switch which is basically what it is.

Please do share some recordings of what you are able to get out of it so that folks can hear smile.gif Lots of folks really bag on that unit since it's cheap and the distortion/high gain amps are a bit crud. But like I was saying, as a cheap way to get wads of fx that are programmable and easy to control, it's hard to beat for the price.

Yeah I prefered to set it up like a clean amp with cab. and use my analog drive pedals for now. I definitly intend to share examples here as ears get tired quicker when creating sounds almost from scratch, atleast till I feel some level of confidence I'll keep tweaking.

I do want to like it smile.gif works with 4 batteries and fits in my softcase easily (there's still even room for my pedals, the portabilitly is so cool). I haven't dived deep enough to its drive pedals, reverbs etc. but a select few seems very usable. For me right now the fun is the challenge to make it competitive sounding smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Sep 26 2017, 11:30 AM
Post #5

Group Icon

Yes please do share some sound samples asap and you can share your patches as well yes? It's possible to export patches as files from the software and upload them? I'm guessing? or is patch sharing done online only sort of like the kemper patch exchange?

Many things to like! Small, portable, entire rig weighs no more than a book, tons of fx, programmable, runs on batteries, etc. smile.gif

You are using the software to edit patches right? not trying to knob twist? I have read that knob twisting on this unit can be very frustrating but that using the edit software makes it much easier to get good tones. Do you find this true as well?

QUOTE (Mertay @ Sep 26 2017, 05:10 AM) *
Yeah I prefered to set it up like a clean amp with cab. and use my analog drive pedals for now. I definitly intend to share examples here as ears get tired quicker when creating sounds almost from scratch, atleast till I feel some level of confidence I'll keep tweaking.

I do want to like it smile.gif works with 4 batteries and fits in my softcase easily (there's still even room for my pedals, the portabilitly is so cool). I haven't dived deep enough to its drive pedals, reverbs etc. but a select few seems very usable. For me right now the fun is the challenge to make it competitive sounding smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 11:21 AM