> At&t Uverse Internet Performance?
Todd Simpson
post Oct 1 2017, 04:13 AM
Post #1

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

I recently switched from CHARTER to ATT "UVERSE" as it's said to be "oooooohh!" so fast and what not. Hmm. Well, long story short, despite their promise of "Fiber optic to the curb" and all, I got a big cable going from the main access plate outside the right bottom level of my house all the way around the back to the front curb where the "Trunk" is. Classy. It won't be buried for 3 weeks. Double Classy.

Now the performance. It is really not making me all a quiver thus far. Here is a breakdown. The wifi comes in two flavors. 2.5 ghz and 5.00 ghz for newer devices/nic cards.

*2.4 GHZ
Attached Image

5.0GHZ
Attached Image

They won't give you specs before hand. They just say "faster than the competition" Hmm. Bottom line, 40 MBS downstream is not the fastest I"ve ever seen, I had better days with Charter, the previous vendor. Also, had to switch to where we have one DVR for the entire facility, instead of one dvr per room. Sure it's bit cheaper but if you get the choice, pay the extra and keep your dvr per room and faster web smile.gif

ANYONE ELSE IN THE STATES CARE TO SHARE THEIR BROADBAND PERFORMANCE?

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 1 2017, 04:14 AM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
yoncopin
post Oct 1 2017, 12:51 PM
Post #2

Learning Rock Star

Group: Members
Member No.: 7.667

Not to defend your ISP, but to get an accurate test of your network speed you need to do it off of wifi. There are a lot of factors that can degrade wireless performance and you won't really know what the max attainable speed is unless you test it wired first.

--------------------

+Quote Post
fzalfa
post Oct 1 2017, 06:18 PM
Post #3

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 20.796

My ISP provide me via VDSL line 96Mb down and 25Mb upload

my home is about 100m far from the DSLAM !

Cheers

Laurent

--------------------

Yes, i love badges.....

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
post Oct 2 2017, 09:29 AM
Post #4

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 9.820

I hate you guys.

Try running an internet business with an 0.38mbps upload speed...

Exactly wink.gif

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: Oct 2 2017, 09:31 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
fzalfa
post Oct 2 2017, 03:50 PM
Post #5

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 20.796

some of my customer are working with almost less.....hard to launch a terminal server service !!!

Cheers

Laurent

--------------------

Yes, i love badges.....

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
post Oct 2 2017, 04:47 PM
Post #6

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (fzalfa @ Oct 2 2017, 02:50 PM) *
some of my customer are working with almost less.....hard to launch a terminal server service !!!

Cheers

Laurent

It sucks balls.

Loved your new Mazza btw! 6 cylinder power!

--------------------

+Quote Post
AK Rich
post Oct 2 2017, 07:45 PM
Post #7

Learning Guitar Hero

Member No.: 13.839

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Oct 2 2017, 12:29 AM) *
I hate you guys.

Exactly wink.gif

That's harsh man. .38 mbps sounds close to my first dialup connection years ago. I believe it was about 512kbps down and 256 kbps up or maybe it was 128 kbps up, that was quite a while back.
I thought mine was bad at 5mbps down and 2 mbps up which is a recent upgrade from 768 kbps up that just became available to me recently. That is an adsl connection in a rural area.

This post has been edited by AK Rich: Oct 2 2017, 07:51 PM

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
post Oct 2 2017, 08:19 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 6.517

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Oct 2 2017, 09:29 AM) *
I hate you guys.

Exactly wink.gif

It's not much better where I am either, Ben. I'm as far from the Local Exchange as possible, speeds around here are dreadfully slow at times, especially if all 3 of us in the Village that have the Interwebs use it at the same time!!!

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
post Oct 2 2017, 08:32 PM
Post #9

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (AK Rich @ Oct 2 2017, 06:45 PM) *
I thought mine was bad at 5mbps down and 2 mbps up

I'm about 5mbps down on a very good day - usually in the mid to high 4's. A 2mbps upload would be a comparative luxury laugh.gif

QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Oct 2 2017, 07:19 PM) *
especially if all 3 of us in the Village that have the Interwebs use it at the same time!!!

You guys must be able to type faster with all those extra fingers!

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
post Oct 2 2017, 09:12 PM
Post #10

Experienced Tone Seeker

Member No.: 14.292

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Oct 2 2017, 08:32 PM) *
I'm about 5mbps down on a very good day - usually in the mid to high 4's. A 2mbps upload would be a comparative luxury laugh.gif

ohmy.gif
Who does your internet, CompuServe? tongue.gif I dont think I'd get out of bed for 5mbps smile.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Oct 2 2017, 10:09 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

I officially TAKE BACK my complaints about my ISP. EGAD man, that is just dreadful. I have never heard of broadband speed that low anywhere. You must have the patience of a saint. Even small vids would take forever to upload.

God be with you.

AKRICH and others are mentioning that they too suffer with just godawful bandwidth. Now I feel like a complete tool for moaning about my "measly 50mbs download". I take it all back. I'm happy has punch with my download speed. I had no idea people were being made to suffer with these horrible download speeds. It thought europe had way better broadband than we did in the states. LAURENT has a good connection but he appears to be the ONLY ONE. sad.gif

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Oct 2 2017, 04:29 AM) *
I hate you guys.

Exactly

The only thing that really matters is on wifi to me as that's how all my machines have to connect unless I want to run a very very very long cable to the modem sad.gif I'm sure it's great if you jack in to box. But unless I wanna relocate my home studio.....

Just curious what other folks get over wifi?

UPDATE: Found out I'm at the max
I am on a 50mbs plan so I'm getting about everything that can be gotten out of it over 5ghz wifi. sad.gif

Todd
QUOTE (yoncopin @ Oct 1 2017, 07:51 AM) *
Not to defend your ISP, but to get an accurate test of your network speed you need to do it off of wifi. There are a lot of factors that can degrade wireless performance and you won't really know what the max attainable speed is unless you test it wired first.

AOL and COMPUSERVE are running many servers it seems and using dial up modems at that! I'm really quite shocked to see this many people with this poor quality of service. I didn't realize that my service was as good as all that by comparison. I should have been grateful at the start.

QUOTE (bleez @ Oct 2 2017, 04:12 PM) *
ohmy.gif
Who does your internet, CompuServe? tongue.gif I dont think I'd get out of bed for 5mbps smile.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 2 2017, 10:07 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
yoncopin
post Oct 3 2017, 01:07 AM
Post #12

Learning Rock Star

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Oct 2 2017, 05:09 PM) *
UPDATE: Found out I'm at the max
I am on a 50mbs plan so I'm getting about everything that can be gotten out of it over 5ghz wifi. sad.gif

Yeah, that was going to be my point. I think the wifi is the bottleneck here, unless the ISP really has something broken.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Oct 3 2017, 04:07 AM
Post #13

Group Icon

You are spot on there smile.gif Wifi is often the bottleneck as it's prone to interference and doesn't always make it through walls/floors, depending on construction/materials/etc. Just a host of variables that can impact performance including distance from the router itself. I have a wifi repeater but it only repeats in the 2.4 ghz range and the 5ghz spec only really works within about 50 feet of the router. Still getting 50mbs from a 50mbps package is about all one can ask.

Especially after seeing what other folks are made to deal with, I feel bad for complaining at all. Granted, it goes down to 20mbps if you get far away from it, but compared to what other folks are dealing with, Ben/Rich/etc. even that is blazing fast. I thought I had difficulties until I found out I was living the data high life. You never know what other folks are suffering stoically.

Todd

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Oct 2 2017, 08:07 PM) *
Yeah, that was going to be my point. I think the wifi is the bottleneck here, unless the ISP really has something broken.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
post Oct 3 2017, 06:19 AM
Post #14

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (bleez @ Oct 2 2017, 08:12 PM) *
ohmy.gif

Pretty sure it's a hamster on a wheel!

--------------------

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
post Oct 3 2017, 12:01 PM
Post #15

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 14.225

I've just moved from the city where we had 240Mb broadband to a village where 70Mb is the most we can get.
To get the best performance from your wifi you'd need to spend about $300 on a super duper wifi router.

--------------------
Currently Working on

PosterBoy's Modern Riffing with Gabriel

PosterBoy's Bootcamp with Todd

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Axe Fx Ultra - GCP Pro

+Quote Post
yoncopin
post Oct 3 2017, 02:26 PM
Post #16

Learning Rock Star

Todd, think you're on a Mac, if so something like Wifi Explorer will really help you position your routers optimally. You can see their signal strengths from different parts of your house and move them around, channel conflicts with other routers matter. I find router models really differ in quality, the better ones are much better. I've been really impressed with this Netgear It's the repeater that's killing your speed though, get rid of that and centrally locate a high-power router and I think the whole system will perform better.

This post has been edited by yoncopin: Oct 3 2017, 02:27 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Oct 3 2017, 08:48 PM
Post #17

Group Icon

A very fine call indeed smile.gif For anyone on a mac wifi explorer is very handy. The router and modem are one and the same in the uverse package so you sadly can't move it from the wall connection. sad.gif My repeater router is currently set at the edge of optical placement to get it as close to the other machines that need access. They are all getting about everything they will get under the 2.4 ghz connection. The 5ghz doesn't reach that far and the repeater can't even see it as it's an older repeater. So in short, I"m getting what I should get. I thought this was crazy slow. But as mentioned, I"ve got no reason to complain in light of what other folks are dealing with. I"m living in huge data compared to many. So I got two machines at 50mbps and the rest at 20mbps download. I'll take it and I'm sorry I complained. sad.gif

For anyone using Mac OS X Sierra 10.12, there are bits built in to the operating system that can help.
https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25232?locale=en_US

Todd

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Oct 3 2017, 09:26 AM) *
Todd, think you're on a Mac, if so something like Wifi Explorer will really help you position your routers optimally. You can see their signal strengths from different parts of your house and move them around, channel conflicts with other routers matter. I find router models really differ in quality, the better ones are much better. I've been really impressed with this Netgear It's the repeater that's killing your speed though, get rid of that and centrally locate a high-power router and I think the whole system will perform better.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 3 2017, 09:05 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 11:22 AM