> My Dog China Lost Use Of Her Legs Today :(
Todd Simpson
post Oct 6 2017, 01:41 AM
Post #1

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

As many of you know I have a small lap dog called CHINA and she is about 10 years old. The breed is prone to spine issues and recently she began limping and losing control of her back legs. Today, out of nowhere, she just lost the ability to control her back legs at all. sad.gif Sadly we may have to have her put down. For anyone who has seen their pet grow old and wither, it's a terrible thing. Up until now, every pet I've lost has been to a car accident or something similar. Watching her slip away in slow motion is just heart breaking. For anyone else that has had to go through this, I feel your pain. She was a very happy dog and was well loved her entire life. In the end, that's the most any of us can really hope for.

Here she is in younger days being playful smile.gifAttached Image

Anyone else have an older pet?

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
post Oct 6 2017, 07:57 AM
Post #2

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

Member No.: 2

Sorry to hear this mate! sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
post Oct 6 2017, 04:42 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 17.304

Sorry about this Todd. It sucks.
My last dog I had to 'put down'. He was 13 (a Pug) and his pancreas shut down. Heartbreaking.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Oct 6 2017, 07:01 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 18.294

My dog also started showing symtomes since last year year, about the same age as yours. The medicine the vet. gives (to increase spinal fluid) works for now but its an unpleasent reminder that he won't be with us forever sad.gif

With my previous dog we were too late to put her to sleep, actually I wish we could have noticed earlyer. I had many cats put to sleep, aside everything sad there's something relieving for me as I know the process is painless and even in a way peaceful feeling.

This post has been edited by Mertay: Oct 6 2017, 07:01 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
AK Rich
post Oct 6 2017, 07:14 PM
Post #5

Learning Guitar Hero

Member No.: 13.839

Bummer deal, Todd. Having had dogs all my life, I can relate as I have had to have them put down on a few occasions and it never gets any easier. In fact the last one I had to put down, A Lab named Dude, was the hardest because he was by far the most intelligent and the best companion I have ever had. He went to work with me at construction sites everyday for more than 10 years as well as numerous camping and fishing trips.
He had similar issues as your dog China with a problem that developed in his spine. The vet prescribed some medications to help with the pain and suffering and I carried him up and down the stairs for about a month and a half when he had to do his business everyday and after that time it was obvious that the meds just weren't working anymore.
So on the night before I was to take him in to put him down we cooked him up his own entire chicken which we fed him that night and the next day all the way up until his final moments on that table at the vets office. I then brought him home and buried him in the side yard below our bedroom window in a hole I had already prepared and fenced the area off. A good friend of mine etched a few words and an image into a piece of granite countertop sink cutout that I had that made a great headstone.
It's very sad when you have to make the decision to put down a longtime companion and family member like this. It is sad news that you will have to do it and I am truly sorry for you and China. So spoil the heck out of her while you can as it will help in the end.

Rich...

Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Oct 6 2017, 09:20 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

I just go back from the vet. We finally had no choice but to put China to sleep. We did everything we could but it was not to be. I appreciate all of the kind words and support from my GMC family. It's one of the few things in life that makes life just a bit more bearable. She went very peacefully. They gave her a shot and she just drifted off to sleep. She had a very long and full life, and she played like a puppy up until the very last. Once she lost control of her legs, we knew the time was near. Today was the appointment and the vet was very kind. I loved that little dog something fierce. I held it together until they gave her the shot, as I didn't want to upset her. It feels like someone ripped a part of me right through my chest. Losing a pet hurts like losing family cause they are family. I"m gonna miss her. sad.gif

This is one of the last pix of her. Rest in Peace China. Love always.

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
fzalfa
post Oct 7 2017, 07:04 PM
Post #7

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 20.796

Sad story !
RIP in the dog's heaven !

Cheers

Laurent

--------------------

Yes, i love badges.....

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Oct 7 2017, 07:15 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

That is our only consolation at this point. But I'm trying to focus on the thought that she is in Doggie heaven where here legs work and she can run and play forever. She hates the vet. We tried to comfort her. We even left the bed she was in with her so she would be comfy. She laid her head down after the shot and went to her final sleep. sad.gif It was heartbreaking.
Attached Image

QUOTE (fzalfa @ Oct 7 2017, 02:04 PM) *
Sad story !
RIP in the dog's heaven !

Cheers

Laurent

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 7 2017, 07:18 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
fzalfa
post Oct 7 2017, 07:22 PM
Post #9

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 20.796

that for all this reason i do not want to won a dog anymore..... Too sad and painfull when they pass away...

Cheers

Laurent

--------------------

Yes, i love badges.....

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Oct 7 2017, 07:36 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

I was holding her as they gave her the shot and she went limp. I didn't expect it to be so heart breaking. It was. I still feel like I'm grieving for her. I'm going to try to push ahead and get on with the business of living. I keep seeing her little face as I held her and they gave her the shot. I wanted to be with her so she would not feel alone and scared. I've never done anything as difficult. It's simply heart wrenching to watch a pet you love dearly slip away. She was a very good girl and I miss her already. I almost forgot she was gone this morning and expected her to come running when she heard me. Then I remembered. sad.gif

I'd like to thank everyone for their thoughts and support. I really didn't expect this to hit me so hard. Love your pets and your loved ones. Life is os much shorter than we expect. Things happen, and then those you love are gone forever and you are left with a hole in your soul.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 7 2017, 07:36 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tom51
post Oct 7 2017, 07:48 PM
Post #11

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 20.440

Really sorry to hear that Todd. We share so many beautiful moments with our dogs.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Oct 8 2017, 10:39 AM
Post #12

Learning Apprentice Player

Member No.: 19.975

Sorry to hear this Todd. I still miss my last dog that I had to have put to sleep 25 years ago because he got really ill. I haven't been able to have another one as my wife is allergic to them. I don't think I could handle going through it again.

Stay strong.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Oct 8 2017, 10:40 AM

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Oct 9 2017, 03:03 AM
Post #13

Group Icon

Sadly, just after China was put to sleep, my other dog Schatzi started falling apart in terms of his health. He's 15, so he's older, but he was hanging on until now. I fear I may have to put him to sleep as well as his health has gone downhill so quickly and his pain level is so high sad.gif We are going to the vet on Monday to seek advice.

I'm sorry for your loss. I know how fresh even old pain can feel when the wound is deep enough. sad.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Oct 8 2017, 05:39 AM) *
Sorry to hear this Todd. I still miss my last dog that I had to have put to sleep 25 years ago because he got really ill. I haven't been able to have another one as my wife is allergic to them. I don't think I could handle going through it again.

Stay strong.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 11:22 AM