+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Oct 20 2017, 07:35 PM
Post #4

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

I fear Gibson is doing everything it can just to stay in business. Some folks think it will live forever and it might. I personally don't buy it. It sure looks like struggling big time. it would be a shame to lose them imho as they make some very nice guitars, overpriced imho, but nice. Also, an American company in biz for many years, nearly an institution. It would be a shame if they go under.

Thankfully, Ibanez shows no signs of going out of biz and they have finally started marketing directly to their audience, e.g. Metal Heads. Sadly, I've seen the quality of their new instruments slip over the past 10 years in a very sad way. I've picked up premium and prestige guitars off the rack and been shocked at the shoddy fretwork/finish. Despite the crazy price tags on new premiums, some are coming off the line needing to be sent straight to a luthier. Not true of all of them to be sure, just thinking a guitar pushing 2k should not leave the factory in bad shape.

Perhaps why so many Ibby fans like myself keep buying older/used Ibby's. The market it getting tougher and tougher it seems.

On a side note, I hear OLA recently bailed from Washburn to create his own guitar line. He had a major endorsement and an entire line of guitars under his name. He's figured out the same thing Rob Chapman did it seems and is going in to biz for himself and cutting out the middle man smile.gif I wonder if he will use the same factories in korea that many other vendors use. Also, I wonder if he is planning to sell internet only or setup vendor relationships. Chapman has done well for himself and his guitars seem to have a good reputation. So it can be done smile.gif Anyone actually played a CHAPMAN GUITAR? I've NEVER seen one in the wild.

QUOTE (Mertay @ Oct 20 2017, 12:46 PM) *

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Oct 22 2017, 03:03 PM
Post #5

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 18.294

Gibson sales aren't too bad in my country, considering they're around 2x 3x compared to USA and even players in USA find them overpriced biggrin.gif

Debt I don't know but downsizing can keep them going on longer. But to think of it, the "paying music" today doesn't really call for hollow-body guitars anymore. They probably need new artists as new generation isn2t as connected to music like jazz, blues as much as te previous one.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st November 2017 - 04:26 PM