Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Descending Minor Scale Pulloffs, Quick Licks #3 (Pull Offs)
Todd Simpson
post Nov 5 2017, 05:10 AM
Post #1

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

Descending Minor Scale Pulloffs

INTRO:

This lick makes use of the "Pull Off" technique, where you use the fingers to "pull" off of the fretboard instead of picking every note. While you can pick every note in this lick, try to use as many pull offs as you can and as few pick strikes as possible. It is based around the E Minor Scale.

Here is the tab. You can play this at any speed that feels comfortable. Remember, precision is more important than speed. As the saying goes, "Speed is simply a byproduct of precision". Make sure to use your pinky finger (especially below the 12th fret) if possible, as shown in the vid. You can use the first three fingers up high (above fret 12) if you want to play an octave up.

Attached Image

Attached File  Quick_Licks__3.gp5 ( 1.84K ) Number of downloads: 13

Attached File  British_Metal_Collab_V_Backing_by_Darius.mp3 ( 2.59MB ) Number of downloads: 14

BACKGROUND / COMMENTS
This (as with Lick #2) is from our recent GABE BRIT METAL COLLAB! We are going to use the brit backing track for this so you can have a track to play over if you prefer it to a metronome. You can click on the mp3 file above to download it and use it in your DAW (Reaper/Nuendo/Logic/Etc.) so that you can play with the backing track and use the lick in a solo context.

BTW:
This should be much easier than #2. This is a very handy technique for making scales sound more musical as well as a bit more technical. It makes it sound like you are playing more notes than are actually being played due to the fact that we are repeating notes throughout the pattern.

WARM UP LICK:
Here is the same type of pattern done in the key of E but based around the 12th fret and using the full Minor Scale from High E string, all the way to the low E string. So through two octaves in one position. You can use this same pattern on any scale that you know. Also you can take just part of this pattern and use that as a lick.
Attached Image

Attached File  Quick_Licks__3warmup.gp5 ( 2.05K ) Number of downloads: 11

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Nov 5 2017, 05:14 AM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
n3m57
post Nov 6 2017, 06:48 PM
Post #2

Learning Roadie

Group: Members
Member No.: 20.824

Hi Todd, I really like your new concept, it's more accessible to me smile.gif

Here my vid :

--------------------

+Quote Post
yoncopin
post Nov 6 2017, 10:04 PM
Post #3

Learning Rock Star

Member No.: 7.667

Here's my vid

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Nov 7 2017, 06:11 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

welcome to the club!!! Glad to have ya! This is a very handy lick as it works on technique and it works well as a solo lick. You can pick every note to work you picking a bit harder, but I've found that doing it with some pull offs give it a bit more in terms of dynamics. Your playing here is spot on. You nailed and didn't have any bad notes, no issues on pacing, very good picking and hand placement. In short you KRUSHED it!!

Here is your first QUICK LICKS badge smile.gif
Attached Image
More to come!
Todd

QUOTE (n3m57 @ Nov 6 2017, 01:48 PM) *
Hi Todd, I really like your new concept, it's more accessible to me smile.gif

Here my vid :

Great to see you tackling these!! I promise not to make them as nuts as part 2 was smile.gif I think you have a really good handle on the lick and your ready to use it in a solo. Keep in mind that this pattern will work on ANY scale you know, so you can use it any time you are playing a 3 note per string scale. In any key, any place on the neck. It's the pattern that's the most important thing. It gives you a new way to run scales and you can do it for just part of a scale and then switch to something else to make it your own. You are spot on the metronome for the first few strings and it drifts a pinch toward the end, but the metronome is just for reference here. I really want to see if you guys can quickly pick up a new lick, which you did!!! smile.gif So you just BADGED UP!!!

Attached Image

We are just at the start here but you are still one of our top ranked in Quick Licks! Keep it up!

Todd
QUOTE (yoncopin @ Nov 6 2017, 05:04 PM) *
Here's my vid

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Nov 7 2017, 06:10 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
fzalfa
post Nov 8 2017, 10:14 PM
Post #5

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 20.796

Hi Todd

This is my (short)take

Cheers

Laurent

--------------------

Yes, i love badges.....

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Nov 9 2017, 07:18 AM
Post #6

Group Icon

Very Spiff!! I like what you did with it there smile.gif Works great in context as a solo lick. I'm all for folks making these licks their own. However, I would like to see you play the lick as written as well just to show that you can do that as well. You start out doing it but by the time you hit the G string you are off and running on your thing. It's very cool what you did with it, I'd just like to see both if possible smile.gif But this is something we are figuring out as we are going and bottom line you played it well!! So congrats you remain our HIGHEST RANKING member of QUICK LICKS and keep the STAR OF HONOR as the only member to complete every lick so far. NICE!!!!

*NOTE: ANYONE CAN GET THE STAR OF HONOR BY GOING BACK AND COMPLETING ALL THE QUICKLICKS AT ANY TIME!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (fzalfa @ Nov 8 2017, 05:14 PM) *
Hi Todd

This is my (short)take

Cheers

Laurent

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Nov 9 2017, 07:20 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Nov 11 2017, 08:23 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

Going to give this one another week so that a few guys that are just getting back in to the swing of things can give it a go!!!

----
Descending Minor Scale Pulloffs

INTRO:

This lick makes use of the "Pull Off" technique, where you use the fingers to "pull" off of the fretboard instead of picking every note. While you can pick every note in this lick, try to use as many pull offs as you can and as few pick strikes as possible. It is based around the E Minor Scale.

Here is the tab. You can play this at any speed that feels comfortable. Remember, precision is more important than speed. As the saying goes, "Speed is simply a byproduct of precision". Make sure to use your pinky finger (especially below the 12th fret) if possible, as shown in the vid. You can use the first three fingers up high (above fret 12) if you want to play an octave up.

Attached Image

Attached File  Quick_Licks__3.gp5 ( 1.84K ) Number of downloads: 13

Attached File  British_Metal_Collab_V_Backing_by_Darius.mp3 ( 2.59MB ) Number of downloads: 14

BACKGROUND / COMMENTS
This (as with Lick #2) is from our recent GABE BRIT METAL COLLAB! We are going to use the brit backing track for this so you can have a track to play over if you prefer it to a metronome. You can click on the mp3 file above to download it and use it in your DAW (Reaper/Nuendo/Logic/Etc.) so that you can play with the backing track and use the lick in a solo context.

BTW:
This should be much easier than #2. This is a very handy technique for making scales sound more musical as well as a bit more technical. It makes it sound like you are playing more notes than are actually being played due to the fact that we are repeating notes throughout the pattern.

WARM UP LICK:
Here is the same type of pattern done in the key of E but based around the 12th fret and using the full Minor Scale from High E string, all the way to the low E string. So through two octaves in one position. You can use this same pattern on any scale that you know. Also you can take just part of this pattern and use that as a lick.
Attached Image

Attached File  Quick_Licks__3warmup.gp5 ( 2.05K ) Number of downloads: 11

------------

PREVIEW: QUICK LICKS #4
* We are going to to a lick used in the final Video for the recent Gabe collab. It starts at 2:05. Here is the full vid!

--------------------

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
post Nov 12 2017, 06:27 PM
Post #8

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 14.225

Well here's my work in progress.

I took some liberties with it, as I created my own little backing to practice with for upping the speed.

It seemed to fit triplets better than 8th notes so...

Anyway I only got a fairly clean take at 65 bpm recorded but was managing a few runs around 70/75 bpm

--------------------
My SoundCloud

PosterBoy's Bootcamp with Todd

Gear
Ibanez Rg770FM
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335
Axe Fx Ultra - GCP Pro

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Nov 13 2017, 04:02 AM
Post #9

Group Icon

DUDE!! THAT'S IT!!! You got it smile.gif I'd be perfectly happy to critique that! Congrats on creating your own backing as well smile.gif Thats the lick back to front. If you wanna keep working on it to get more out of it, go nuts!! Just let me know if I can help in any way smile.gif I'll check back to see when there's another vid. You are doing it perfectly. The more pull than picking, etc. And I can't helpl but say NICE IBBY!!!

Todd

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Nov 12 2017, 01:27 PM) *

I took some liberties with it, as I created my own little backing to practice with for upping the speed.

Anyway I only got a fairly clean take at 65 bpm recorded but was managing a few runs around 70/75 bpm

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Nov 18 2017, 07:27 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

WELL PLAYED!! This take is more than enough to serve as your final take IMHO. So here goes! I like how you crafted the lick in to something that fits in to a solo and into your own style. You took the technical elements of the lick, and made it your own thing by adjusting the timing just a pinch. I like your backing track that you created as well! Hopefully, you are comfy enough with this lick to add it to your personal back of tricks that you can pull out during an improv/solo at will!! You are more than ready for QUICK LICKS #4!!!

You just..

LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image

Todd

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Nov 12 2017, 01:27 PM) *

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st November 2017 - 04:40 PM