Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Barred Minor Pulloffs, Quick Licks #4 (Pulloffs)
Todd Simpson
post Nov 18 2017, 10:38 PM
Post #1

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

Barred Minor Scale Pulloffs

INTRO:

This lick makes expands on what we did last time in QUICK LICKS #3 with "PULL OFFS". This time, we are going to use a "BAR" technique, much like a "BAR CHORD" where we fret two strings and keep them fretted for the duration of the lick. Then we use our pulloff technique, with some speedy picking, to give the illusion that we are playing waaaay more than we actually are. There are ONLY FOUR NOTES in this entire lick! Let's dig in!

Here is the tablature. As always, start SLOW, don't worry about playing this fast. Just focus on playing it CLEAN smile.gif Speed is a byproduct of precision. Once you can play this lick in a precise fashion, you will be SHOCKED at how fast you can play it! This lick sounds good slow and fast when played in a solo. Try it with a metronome for a warmup, and with the backing for solo work.
Attached Image

Attached File  QuickLicks4.gp5 ( 1.58K ) Number of downloads: 8

BACKGROUND / COMMENTS
This (as with Lick #3) is from our recent GABE BRIT METAL COLLAB! We are going to use the brit backing track for this so you can have a track to play over if you prefer it to a metronome. You can click on the mp3 file above to download it and use it in your DAW (Reaper/Nuendo/Logic/Etc.) so that you can play with the backing track and use the lick in a solo context.

Attached File  British_Metal_Collab_V_Backing_by_Darius.mp3 ( 2.59MB ) Number of downloads: 5

BTW:
This should be much easier than #3 as it only has 4 notes and only one position on the neck. This is a very handy technique for making it sound like we are playing a much more active bit than we actually are. It sounds great in a solo context.

WARM UP LICK:
Here is the same type of pattern done in the same key, just a string lower and using a Pentatonic shape. You may recognize this lick, it's one of my all time fave solo licks! You can use this one as well, if you like, in your solo/vid.
Attached Image
Attached File  QuickLicks4warmup.gp5 ( 1.56K ) Number of downloads: 7

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fzalfa
post Nov 20 2017, 10:27 PM
Post #2

Learning Roadie

Group: Members
Member No.: 20.796

let's work

Cheers

Laurent

--------------------

Yes, i love badges.....

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Nov 21 2017, 02:48 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

Give em Hell!! Can't wait to see it smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (fzalfa @ Nov 20 2017, 05:27 PM) *
let's work

Cheers

Laurent

--------------------

+Quote Post
n3m57
post Nov 23 2017, 08:29 PM
Post #4

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 20.824

Let's go :

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Nov 24 2017, 06:21 AM
Post #5

Group Icon

NICE!!!!! That's what I'm talking about smile.gif Nailed the lick and then made it your own. Great to see smile.gif Get the lick down and then do your own thing with it. You've got very good technique here with your right hand planted and a good string muting along with very precise picking/fretting. It's all there. I notice you are playing "side sadle" (guitar on the right leg) which is fine, just thought I'd suggest trying to attempt some of these using "Classical" position with the guitar in the middle. It changes the way the wrist / hand works in relation to the guitar. Its' also much closer to the position your arms/hands are in when you play standing up. It allows you to transfer very easilly between sitting and standing while playing. Sometimes folks can play things sitting down that seem difficult standing up simply because they have a different hand/wrist position due to shifting angle related to sitting side saddle. Also you may notice increased reach, range, speed when using classical position as thats' why classical guitar players use it smile.gif But it's really just a suggestion, not a requirement.

Like all of these, this makes a great warm up lick, and a great practice lick. It also works great in solo context so as soon as you can, throw it in to a solo. Even just as a test playing against a backing on youtube to try it. The sooner you play it in context the better, now that you have it down, it's all about putting it to use.

ALso, keep in mind that you can do as many QUICK LICKS in one video as you like. So if you ever find a few have gotten away, you can put them all in one vid and badge up for all of them in one go. Not everyone could pull this off, but I think you could. Anyhoo!! Long way round to say you just..

LEVELED UP!!!!

QUOTE (n3m57 @ Nov 23 2017, 03:29 PM) *
Let's go :

--------------------

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
post Nov 24 2017, 11:05 AM
Post #6

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 14.225

I'm horrible at this one

--------------------
My SoundCloud

PosterBoy's Bootcamp with Todd

Gear
Ibanez Rg770FM
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335
Axe Fx Ultra - GCP Pro

+Quote Post
yoncopin
post Nov 24 2017, 06:26 PM
Post #7

Learning Rock Star

Member No.: 7.667

Here's my entry, Happy Thanksgiving!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
post Nov 24 2017, 08:03 PM
Post #8

Learning Rock Star

Member No.: 5.298

Gave it and a bonus lick a quick shot:

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Nov 25 2017, 12:04 AM
Post #9

Group Icon

NICE PLAYING!!! Very well done! Also, still love that IBBY!!! This lick requires dexterity, precision, and timing. You've got a handle on all of it. If you miss a note in this lick, it will stick out like a sore thumb. It's got an element of endurance to it. Being able to keep it up for and extended period requires that one not tense up or your arm would lock up and the lick would fall apart. I hope you can see how far you've come to be able to play a lick like this. I certainly can see it smile.gif Try this lick against a youtube backing to see if you can work it in to a solo as soon as possible. Getting it in a musical context is key. It's a great practice lick, but also a great lick to solo with which is the entire point of all of this. smile.gif

As for this lick, you KRUSHED it and you just.....

LEVLED UP!!!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Nov 24 2017, 01:26 PM) *
Here's my entry, Happy Thanksgiving!

SCORE!!!!! And it's always a treat to see that rare and beautiful Ibby in action. Such a mix of beauty and beast. That fretboard is just beautiful as is the flamed top. But enough of my fawning over your guitar!!! Your playing here is spot on. This is a "Shred Lick" and you shredded the crap out of i!!! Also, I dig how you made it in to your own thing right after gaining a level of mastery over the original lick. It's key that you put it to use as well. Try it with any backing you like to see how it works as a solo lick. You can use your own version of course smile.gif Your technique here is just killer. I've seen you make great strides in your playing since I first saw you here on GMC. It's been great to watch your progress.

As for this lick, you KILLED IT!! Also, you just...

LEVELED UP!!!!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Nov 24 2017, 03:03 PM) *
Gave it and a bonus lick a quick shot:

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Nov 24 2017, 11:49 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
fzalfa
post Nov 25 2017, 04:36 PM
Post #10

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 20.796

Hi Todd

this is my short take, it hurt a lot the fingers.... maybe because i use my crappy pinky !

Cheers

Laurent

--------------------

Yes, i love badges.....

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Nov 25 2017, 08:53 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

There he is!!! I was thinking you'd join in!! Glad that you did wink.gif I also knew you could play this lick. Glad to see you can!! Try to put this in to use in solos asap. Pull up a backing on youtube and try to throw it in. It's a handy bit for solo work!! You have solid technique here. Good string muting, picking, and timing. I'm working on QUICK LICKS #5 now and I'm sure you can pull that one off as well! You can take these and modify them to make them your own. Feel free to modify the lick in the video as well. Also, you can use them in a solo instead of with click track if you like Whatever is best for you smile.gif You've got this one LICKED!!!

And you just..

LEVELED UP!!!!

*ALSO you remain our STAR OF HONOR holder as you've completed every QUICK LICKS to date! Further, you are the ONLY GMCer EVER, to hold the STAR in all three badges. Congrats!

Attached Image

QUOTE (fzalfa @ Nov 25 2017, 11:36 AM) *
Hi Todd

this is my short take, it hurt a lot the fingers.... maybe because i use my crappy pinky !

Cheers

Laurent

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Nov 25 2017, 08:55 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th December 2017 - 02:46 AM