Ever Started Something, And wish you hadn't?
Phil66
Nov 18 2017, 11:47 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Ok, my "studio" has evolved over the years. My desk is open backed, a chrome frame with a top on so you can see all the cables going down the back. You know how it is, you get new equipment, you put the cables in the easiest route and, boom, job done, but after a few years, you have a spider's web of cables.

I made a wooden back plate, cut an inch relief along the bottom leaving two inches at each end, this was to allow cables to get from the various units to the mains block with the cables being hidden behind the board.

Ok, this half hour job didn't happen. Two hours in, three changes of mind and I'm past the point of no return, my room looks like a bomb site, I realised some cables weren't long enough to go all the way down to the floor and back to the mains block, some "guitar" leads weren't even connected at each end rolleyes.gif

Now tomorrow, I have at least the same amount of time to spend. I wanted to record stuff for Todd's quick licks, the collab and my own thread with Gab, that isn't going to happen.

I wish I'd just ripped it all out and started from scratch. Would have been quicker and neater.

Oh well.

Phil

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bleez
Nov 19 2017, 12:17 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 18 2017, 10:47 PM) *
, some "guitar" leads weren't even connected at each end rolleyes.gif

LOL! laugh.gif

My approach is just not to start things. I just accept the chaos of mess I create smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Mertay
Nov 19 2017, 03:27 PM
GMC:er
Yeah unfortunatly there are some points in studio evolution where one almost has to design everything from scratch.

2 weeks ago I helped a friend with that and it took us hours to finish. We placed the drum to another room, bought an extra long table...What I forced him to do was to descide the main stuffs placement before anything else like where the guitars will stay, amps placement, computer...only after then we started the cabling process.

Now some amps or guitar kept close are on the further side of the room while the ones he reachs most are near the computer for recording. It turned out nice and we even found room for the snare incase he wanted a quick practice. On the other hand I'm sure in the next 3-5 years we'll do the process again, its inevitable smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Nov 19 2017, 10:04 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (bleez @ Nov 19 2017, 12:17 PM) *
LOL! laugh.gif

My approach is just not to start things. I just accept the chaos of mess I create smile.gif

why do today what you can put off till tomorrow

+Quote Post
bleez
Nov 19 2017, 10:40 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Nov 19 2017, 09:04 PM) *
why do today what you can put off till tomorrow

exactly. that's future me's problem and screw that guy, he never did nuthin for nobody smile.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 20 2017, 07:01 AM
GMC:er
YUP!!! Happens every time. I usually start something like that around midnight, thinking it will "just take a minute", then about dawn, I'm still pulling cables. Just today/tonight, I switched to a new 5.1 amp and rewired everything, then an hour later, the new 5.1 amp blew up and and I had to switch back to the old amp and rewire again. So all of the work and pulling cables was for naught. Such is life eh smile.gif

BTW: the amp that blew up was a THX Pioneer Elite surround amp. These used to cost $1,000 each. Now you can get a much more stable surround amp for around $150.. AVOID Pioneer Elite amps IMHO, they tend to just stop working or the dsp card will melt etc. Sorry if you love your pioneer amp, more power to ya. I'm just not a fan sad.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 05:19 AM