Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rammikin
post Nov 26 2017, 08:18 PM
Post #2

Experienced Rock Star

Group: Members
Member No.: 11.529

Yeah, it's been a sad week for cakewalk users. It would be funny if it wasn't so tragic, because Cakewalk went to a subscription model a while back and they've been selling "lifetime" subscriptions smile.gif.

This is twice Gibson has done this with a DAW. They did the same thing with Studio Vision. And there is more bad news coming for Gibson next year when a massive amount of debt comes due. It's hard to see how they'll survive with the company structure they have today.

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
post Nov 26 2017, 08:40 PM
Post #3

GMC:er

Member No.: 17.304

Buy an LP, SG or 335 now.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
post Nov 26 2017, 09:09 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 6.517

Damn!! That is sad news!!
I've used Cakewalk since my first entry into PC based recording. It's what I learned on. Although I've tried quite a few other DAWs I always came back to Cakewalk, especially since SONAR. I am still running SONAR X2 Producer, I didn't upgrade to X3 or what's now Platinum and obviously won't bother to now!!
sad.gif

QUOTE (klasaine @ Nov 26 2017, 08:40 PM) *

Absolutely Ken!!!!
smile.gif

This post has been edited by Sensible Jones: Nov 26 2017, 09:10 PM

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
AK Rich
post Nov 27 2017, 12:59 AM
Post #5

Learning Guitar Hero

Member No.: 13.839

QUOTE (klasaine @ Nov 26 2017, 11:40 AM) *

+1 to that! The hunt is on! Actually I have been hunting for a while but good deals on LP's don't last long and I have missed more than a few.

This post has been edited by AK Rich: Nov 27 2017, 01:14 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Nov 27 2017, 02:11 AM
Post #6

Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

OUCH!! CAKEWALK was "The" Daw of choice for many years in the early days of Digital. It was one of the few really stable platforms other than pro tools that didn't cost an arm and a leg and require additional proprietary hardware. It seems they have presided over it's final destruction. sad.gif

They have a wad of debt coming due as was mentioned and had spiked prices a bit this past model year to raise revenue as they thought they would sell the same number of guitars pretty much no matter what they charged as they have a large Baby Boomer audience who are hard core fans. Sadly, I don't think it panned out like they hoped. Folks were sorta put off by the price increase it seemed. I don't know a soul who bought a new model Gibson this past year. I'm sure somebody does though smile.gif Get ready for some serious scrambling.

If Guitar Center finally defaults and goes under, they may take a few vendors with them.

Todd

QUOTE (Rammikin @ Nov 26 2017, 03:18 PM) *
Yeah, it's been a sad week for cakewalk users. It would be funny if it wasn't so tragic, because Cakewalk went to a subscription model a while back and they've been selling "lifetime" subscriptions smile.gif.

This is twice Gibson has done this with a DAW. They did the same thing with Studio Vision. And there is more bad news coming for Gibson next year when a massive amount of debt comes due. It's hard to see how they'll survive with the company structure they have today.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Nov 27 2017, 05:03 AM
Post #7

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 1.289

I've never knew that Cakewalk and Gibson were related. Cakewalk 9 was the first daw that I've used and it changed my life! It was amazing to be able to record both audio and midi. Then, I continued with sonar some years but finally switched to Cubase.

On the other hand, my LP will stay with me. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 26 2017, 10:11 PM) *
If Guitar Center finally defaults and goes under, they may take a few vendors with them.

Guitar Center? What's happening with them?

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
AK Rich
post Nov 27 2017, 06:13 AM
Post #8

Learning Guitar Hero

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 26 2017, 08:03 PM) *
Guitar Center? What's happening with them?

People are getting tired of Guitar Center selling them factory seconds for the price of top quality instruments? Just a guess. wink.gif There seems to be some issues with the quality of the instruments sold there in some forums. No idea if it's related and was really just meant as a joke.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Nov 27 2017, 01:50 PM
Post #9

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 1.289

QUOTE (AK Rich @ Nov 27 2017, 02:13 AM) *
People are getting tired of Guitar Center selling them factory seconds for the price of top quality instruments? Just a guess. wink.gif There seems to be some issues with the quality of the instruments sold there in some forums. No idea if it's related and was really just meant as a joke.

Ah I see. I've been at Guitar Center, and I've found good and bad stuff as everywhere. However, one thing that I've noted is that several instruments are maltreated and have knocks because of the "try everything you want" philosophy. It's a pity that people isn't careful with instruments.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Rammikin
post Nov 27 2017, 04:15 PM
Post #10

Experienced Rock Star

Member No.: 11.529

I think Rich was joking smile.gif.

The problem at Guitar Center is the same problem that is affecting brick-and-mortar retailers everywhere: increased competition with on-line sellers. It's very difficult for a Guitar Center store to compete with an on-line retailer like Sweetwater who can stock a wider selection of guitars and can avoid some of the expenses associated with a physical store.

In order to stay in business, Guitar Center has borrowed a great deal of money. They aren't quite as bad off as Gibson, but they are unlikely to be able to continue doing business the way they have in the past. Fender is in a similar situation. Steinway pianos, on the other hand, is in a desperate situation and will have to do something drastic by 2019 to survive.

--------------------

+Quote Post
AK Rich
post Nov 27 2017, 06:14 PM
Post #11

Learning Guitar Hero

Yeah it was really meant as a joke since I really have no personal experience with Guitar Center. I have never been to one. I have just seen them harped on in some other forums over the years. I suspect it has more to do with the reasoning that Rammikin has laid out concerning online retailers as opposed to brick and mortar stores, which is kind of a shame really since I am the kind of guy that wants to try before I buy and I would hate to see my local music shops fade away, or be relegated to just selling parts and strings and doing repairs.

This post has been edited by AK Rich: Nov 27 2017, 06:15 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Nov 27 2017, 08:59 PM
Post #12

Group Icon

You nailed it man. I've noticed the quality of instruments at my local Guitar Center steadily decline for year now. Also, they don't take the time to set up the instruments that are on the racks. None of them are intonated or even in tune. It's gotten bad. The staff always look depressed now. I think that the entire company is circling the bowl sad.gif

I've bought half a doze guitars there over the years including a BC RICK mocking bird, LTD Monster Graphic guitar, and several others. I did end up selling them all for one reason or another. Primarily because they were not Ibby's "sniffs cork" and I found that while I like trying new guitars, I don't reach for them after about a month. Then it's time to sell.

Todd
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Nov 27 2017, 01:13 AM) *

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Nov 27 2017, 09:02 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
thefireball
post Nov 27 2017, 09:29 PM
Post #13

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 9.801

Man... reading all this about these companies is sad. It's been a while since I have been at Guitar Center - but that's because I end up spending [too much] money there.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Nov 28 2017, 07:14 AM
Post #14

Group Icon

It's not a happy place anymore. Mine isn't anyway. Used to be wads of fun. The guitars were in good shape and tune up, ready to play. now the staff just look depressed and none of the guitars are in tune and some are missing strings, etc.

QUOTE (thefireball @ Nov 27 2017, 04:29 PM) *
Man... reading all this about these companies is sad. It's been a while since I have been at Guitar Center - but that's because I end up spending [too much] money there.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th December 2017 - 02:48 AM