> Rec Advice Please
Phil66
post Dec 6 2017, 08:27 AM
Post #1

Learning Apprentice Player

Group: Members
Member No.: 19.975

Ello folks,

Those of you that participate in the brilliant REC scheme here on GMC, can you tell me your tactics for overcoming REC button syndrome please?

I just posted a take, it isn't brilliant but I posted anyway as REC isn't just there for when you think you will pass but for assessment and advice too. Anyway, I practised the piece for 20 minutes then, when I hit the record button on my video camera I was making mistakes that I hadn't made since starting to learn the piece. Things like dropping my pick, fingers slipping off the string when bending, bends going way way sharp, I'm not pitch perfect wehn bending yet but I go way over.

I personally think the only way to overcome it is to record more takes actually for REC and post them up there. I don't think it works just recording yourself on video, you need the pressure of recording for assessment but, if anyone has any other tips I'd be grateful.

Thanks

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
yoncopin
post Dec 6 2017, 01:37 PM
Post #2

Learning Rock Star

Member No.: 7.667

I had the same problem, working on Todd's Shred Journey helped because I record videos way more often for it's smaller lessons. For a REC lesson I would go weeks without enough progress to feel worth recording. Recording on a more frequent interval helped a lot.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Dec 6 2017, 02:00 PM
Post #3

Yeah, I think I'm just going to start posting to REC as soon as I'm half comfortable with the piece at full speed. As we keep saying, it's not just there for when you think you will pass but to get feedback on your playing about what needs work and how to go about it.

Cheers Brian

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Dec 6 2017, 02:31 PM
Post #4

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.289

The more you record, the more comfortable you'll be with that situation. Everything commented here is valid to get more relaxed while recording. The good thing of recording yourself is that it puts you in the situation of doing it the best possible. If you can get that "do it right" feeling with a relaxed feeling, you'll get great vids, and your playing will be better, since you are always pushing yourself to give the best.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Dec 6 2017, 02:48 PM
Post #5

Thanks Gab,

I record my playing a lot, probably every day but just in my DAW for myself critique. I think even if I did it in video just for myself it wouldn't be much different to just in the DAW.

Nothing compares to an actual, on the edge REC take. That's why I'm going to post as much to REC as possible once I have the track down at full speed with any amount of comfort. I don't mind if it only scores a 1, at least I can then work for a 2,3,4,5,6 smile.gif

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th December 2017 - 02:46 AM