Ola Englund Guitar Line
Todd Simpson
Dec 7 2017, 02:15 AM
GMC:er
Yup. It's finally happened. He has his own guitar line. Not bad for a youtube guy. However, they do sort of look
just like the washburn guitars that were also made in indonesia. I offered to to a playthrough for him
to try to show folks that these are in fact not the same exact guitars. He blew me off. Such is life. I do wish
him the best with this venture. These axes do look a LOT like the last ones with just new name on the headstock.
If chapman can do it, Ola figiured he could do it as well and just cut washburn out of the middle. The good
news is that anyone can apply to be an "OLA" endorsee! I applied. No luck. Still, it's nice that he lets everyone apply.
Anyone tried these?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Dec 7 2017, 02:17 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Dec 7 2017, 03:12 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I saw that announcement video and was really interested to see what he'd be producing. To be honest, it was a huge letdown. For me, I don't want to play someone else's signature model. The same goes for Chapman guitars, they both have that inlay branding right in your face and I find it to be a huge turnoff. I've said this before as well, but none of these guitars have fret markers which to me is form over function. For all the different models Chapman/Solar make you'd think there'd be some diversity of choice but nope. You might say the same for Fender or Gibson too though, so maybe their brands just aren't for me.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 8 2017, 03:07 AM
I have to agree with the big THIS IS A SIGNATURE MODEL logo being printed on the 12th fret and the lack of fret markers which seems to be a BIG fad this days as folks a re putting the markers on the side of the neck know. Thats fine, I'd just like them on the neck too smile.gif

Also, these guitars look just like the paralaxe washburn guitars he was pimping. They are also made in indonesia, perhaps at the same factory. It looks like he just cut washburn out of the deal entirely and went his own own. It must have cost a pretty penny to front all that money to produce the first batch. He must be doing pretty well!! Here's to a youtube guy doing well enough to start his own freaking guitar line smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Dec 7 2017, 10:12 AM) *
I saw that announcement video and was really interested to see what he'd be producing. To be honest, it was a huge letdown. For me, I don't want to play someone else's signature model. The same goes for Chapman guitars, they both have that inlay branding right in your face and I find it to be a huge turnoff. I've said this before as well, but none of these guitars have fret markers which to me is form over function. For all the different models Chapman/Solar make you'd think there'd be some diversity of choice but nope. You might say the same for Fender or Gibson too though, so maybe their brands just aren't for me.

+Quote Post
klasaine
Dec 8 2017, 04:47 AM
Rule # 1 in business ... "You never use your own money".

I'm sure there's an investor.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 9 2017, 06:46 AM
Good point. He's very friendly with the guy also in sweden who makes the odd shaped strandberg guitars so maybe it's him? It's gotta be somebody with deep pockets. I do wish he would have made the guitars look just a little different and leave off the THIS IS A OLA GUITAR logo on the 12th fret. But it's his guitar line so he can do what he want's. He offered me a 10 percent off to be an "Artists" which is basically the sale price. Still puts an indo about $700. I'd have to play one and then buy one used on the cheap smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (klasaine @ Dec 7 2017, 11:47 PM) *
Rule # 1 in business ... "You never use your own money".

I'm sure there's an investor.

+Quote Post
bleez
Dec 10 2017, 12:01 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I'd really like to try them out. I wonder how they compare to an Indo Ibby?
I agree with what you guys have said about the fret markers and 12th inlay though. Even with the Chapman range although there are a couple of his models I'd be interested in getting, I wold prefer if they had 'regular' frets markers and inlays.

is the matte finish the same as satin finish? Ive read that matte will go shiny in places like where your arm rests.
I had a satin finish, it didnt go shiny but maybe I didnt have it long enough.

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Dec 10 2017, 12:41 PM
Instructor
I'm not surprised with this situation. Ola has built a brand through last few years. I think he has areally strong audience at least among metal players...which seems to be a large group. Why to not make some money on the brand you've worked out? I think everyone would like to have some regular, stable income for the life "autumn". How can we be sure we will have strength and health to keep earning money form playing itself? Making an independent segment of music industry as an additional income source seems to be wise movement for me. Why to make expensive guitars? How much of these you could sell? Middle class is the perfect solution from a business point of view.

As for endorsement I remember talking with Patyrick Hufschmid about endorsment requests. You have no idea how much of players daily request for endorsment. It's a sad thing but you can't just give away all the guitars to every player who has some skills. This is why manufacturers seach for players who somehow seems to be able to make apromotional job in some particular, expected way. There are some great players who I would never give my gear to demo/promote because aside from their playing, their tone is totally not my thing and I would not like to see my stuff sound this way. There are some other factors as well. This is how I see things

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2024 - 12:08 AM