Phil66
post Dec 7 2017, 09:48 PM
Post #1

Learning Apprentice Player

Group: Members
Member No.: 19.975

Hello folks,

I have one of my special problems that only I seem to get laugh.gif

It all started HERE going on to post 54 from Gab I then took it into my mentoring thread to save cluttering up the collab thread. HERE is the main bit you need to see.

Basically, when I render in Reaper to MP3 the recording is coming out a half step down unsure.gif blink.gif ohmy.gif huh.gif

Does anyone have any ideas how to stop this? It's never been noticed before by Gab or any instructor in my recent REC so it must be a very recent issue.

Thanks for taking the time to look.

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bleez
post Dec 7 2017, 10:08 PM
Post #2

Experienced Tone Seeker

Member No.: 14.292

does it happen if you render to WAV?

After a conversation with Mertay, I gave up rendering mp3 with reaper.

This post has been edited by bleez: Dec 7 2017, 10:11 PM

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Dec 7 2017, 11:14 PM
Post #3

Thanks Scott, I thought about that later on this evening, I'm going to try tomorrow. The WAV file that sits in Reaper is correct pitch.

Why/how does it do that?

Cheers bud.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Rammikin
post Dec 8 2017, 12:23 AM
Post #4

Experienced Rock Star

Member No.: 11.529

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 7 2017, 08:48 PM) *
Basically, when I render in Reaper to MP3 the recording is coming out a half step down unsure.gif blink.gif ohmy.gif huh.gif

Is there any chance it's actually 1.5 half steps down instead of 1 half step?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
post Dec 8 2017, 12:43 AM
Post #5

Learning Rock Star

Member No.: 5.298

Never ever had a moment's trouble with Reaper myself. What are you doing to it? tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Dec 8 2017, 02:35 AM
Post #6

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

Are you using the latest update of reaper? Sometimes due to sample rate conversion during mix down to mp3 odd things can happen. I'd say patch up to the newest version, and if you already are patched up, sounds like wave export is at least a workable fix smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 7 2017, 04:48 PM) *
Hello folks,

I have one of my special problems that only I seem to get laugh.gif

It all started HERE going on to post 54 from Gab I then took it into my mentoring thread to save cluttering up the collab thread. HERE is the main bit you need to see.

Does anyone have any ideas how to stop this? It's never been noticed before by Gab or any instructor in my recent REC so it must be a very recent issue.

Thanks for taking the time to look.

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
post Dec 8 2017, 07:47 AM
Post #7

Experienced Tone Seeker

Member No.: 14.292

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 7 2017, 10:14 PM) *
Thanks Scott, I thought about that later on this evening, I'm going to try tomorrow. The WAV file that sits in Reaper is correct pitch.

Why/how does it do that?

Cheers bud.

from what I know, reaper doesnt officially support MP3, you will have a 3rd party encoder installed in order to render the mp3, possibly the encoder by LAME. Maybe that is where your problem lies. If it sounds ok within reaper ( as youre playing it ) and renders ok to a wav then check the encoder program for the mp3.
I found that certain backing tracks rendered better to mp3 than others so it looked like an intermittent issue at first but it wasnt really. I also didnt find a better solution for reaper rendering to mp3 so I just use wav's now.

This post has been edited by bleez: Dec 8 2017, 07:48 AM

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Dec 8 2017, 08:11 AM
Post #8

Wow, thanks folks, plenty of info there. I'll update and try again. I've always used LAME, it seems to be the recommended one for Reaper.

Rammikin, I'm sure it's a half step and Gab's magic ears recognise Db too. Out of interest, why did you ask? Is there some mathematical conversion factor you were thinking of?

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Rammikin
post Dec 8 2017, 04:35 PM
Post #9

Experienced Rock Star

Member No.: 11.529

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 8 2017, 07:11 AM) *
Wow, thanks folks, plenty of info there. I'll update and try again. I've always used LAME, it seems to be the recommended one for Reaper.

Rammikin, I'm sure it's a half step and Gab's magic ears recognise Db too. Out of interest, why did you ask? Is there some mathematical conversion factor you were thinking of?

Cheers

I suspect you'll find it's actually 1.5 half steps flat. That happens when you have 44KHz audio in a 48KHz audio file. In other words, the sample rates are mixed up.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Dec 8 2017, 05:00 PM
Post #10

Interesting smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Dec 8 2017, 06:13 PM
Post #11

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 1.289

QUOTE (Rammikin @ Dec 8 2017, 12:35 PM) *
I suspect you'll find it's actually 1.5 half steps flat. That happens when you have 44KHz audio in a 48KHz audio file. In other words, the sample rates are mixed up.

That's what I've just said at the mentoring program Phil. This should be the problem.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Dec 8 2017, 06:50 PM
Post #12

Thanks Gab, I'm going to check it out ASAP.. I'm glad it's not me being a numpty with my playing laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Dec 8 2017, 06:51 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Dec 8 2017, 09:31 PM
Post #13

Okay folks,

I have never messed with sample rates so I don't know where to find them but here is a view of my rendering screen and project settings if that tells you anything. I've checked some of my other projects and they are the same as far as I can see.

My ears aren't good enough yet but Gab or anyone else with a good ear, did the backing track sound out too? I'm wondering if it was just something weird with the guitar track itself because I have never changed any sample settings.

I've also found this in the playback devices settings but I have never altered it myself.

I have now changed it to this: Well actually I had to change it to the 16bit version, I did the screen shot on 24bit but it douesnt support it.

I think it's cracked now. Here is D
https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/bm-vi-d-db-test-ii

Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: Dec 8 2017, 10:19 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
post Dec 10 2017, 12:50 PM
Post #14

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 17.069

Such a tuning issue is 99% sample rate missmatch. ALWAYS, before you do anything, check if the samling rate in the reaper project is same as sampling rate set in t he interface panel (depending on where these settings are in your device software). For example if you open a project that has been recorded in 48 kHz, while your interface is set for 44.1 kHz then the project will play the file with a changed pitch.

You also need to go to recording settings and make sure that files are being saved with the same samplerate as your device is being set to. That's all

As for the backing track - yes. You always need to check it's sampling rate and bitdepth before you start recording. If it doesn't match with your default settings, than it's best to convert it so it will. Otherwise you will need to set the project and device to a backing track parameters.

What you did with line out properties should solve the problem. 48000 Hz sampling rate was most likely the isse

This post has been edited by Darius Wave: Dec 10 2017, 12:55 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th December 2017 - 02:42 AM