> Ngd Audio Interface And Midi Controller
Todd Simpson
post Dec 11 2017, 09:16 PM
Post #1

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

This is the TONE SHIFTER 3S which started it's life on kickstarter when folks decided they got tired of toting an audio interface and a midi controller. They made it in to one box. The handy thing is that it will work with your phone or ipad or whatever as the sound source running AMP KIT or GUITAR RIG or whatever app you like. It's also got midi out, and quater inch out to plug in to an amp or in to mixing board. You could use your computer as well and use OVERLOUD or BIAS and use the foot control to switch patches. Here is a quick an dirty test I did just to try it and I love the darn thing. If you've paid thousands for a Kemper or Axe FX something like this may rub you the wrong way, it leverages mobile and laptop technology instead of proprietary technology.

QUESTION: What do you guys think? Is this the future? Or is it Proprietary units like the AXE and KEMPER? or are we going back to TUBE AMPS?

*Sorry for the "Camera Audio" this was quick and dirty. I just couldn't wait to share!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Dec 12 2017, 04:29 AM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Dec 14 2017, 08:38 AM
Post #2

Learning Apprentice Player

Group: Members
Member No.: 19.975

That looks sweet Todd,

I wonder how long it will be before someone makes a modeler with tubes in? Maybe multiple tubes that are selectable.
That would be mega £$£$£$£$£$£$ if it's even doable. biggrin.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Dec 14 2017, 01:21 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 18.294

I do see interesting solutons similar to this for those who want more switches for their small modellers, like the boss gt-1 or zoom g3n. Its also been a while now since people started using phones on stage, not sure if the market is for the general public but nice to see some innovation is going on.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 14 2017, 07:38 AM) *
That looks sweet Todd,

I wonder how long it will be before someone makes a modeler with tubes in? Maybe multiple tubes that are selectable.

I remember digitech rp20 (90's) had a tube in it, other brands also used tubes but it was to smooth the output similar to using a preamp between the computer and processor.

Nice today they make mini-modern tubes, it might not be too long before we see real tube processors hitting the market.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Dec 15 2017, 02:56 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

Well they did that many years ago with the DIGITECH 2120, and other variants of the same box. These did not have much in the way of cab emulation and were at the very start of what we would call "modelers" but they did have a tube in the signal patch smile.gif But I hear what you are saying. There are modern vendors who have done the same, take VOX for example, who have been putting a tube in their TONELAB product for many years. So yeah, it's been done. Mostly almost as a gimmick though it seems. Rather than trying to recreate an all tube signal path. It might be easier to just put midi/etc. in a tube preamp which is something ADA did years ago with the MP1.

Some folks really do want a tube involved in the chain and who can blame them, tubes sound nice smile.gif I've even got a full tube preamp in my 11 rack fx loop as many of you know wink.gif

The point of this device though is entirely different. It's meant to leverage the advancements in software technology that emulate amps/fx and provide not only an interface but a control mechanism as well. That's the brilliance of this little device IMHO, that and it's compact size, make it a game changer IMHO. This thing and an iphone and you've got a real real that you can use live.

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 14 2017, 03:38 AM) *
That looks sweet Todd,

Yup, just gave a long response on various models that used tubes. They were all a bit bulky. This units bit step forward is that it's both an audio interface and a controller and it's so small. So you can use it with a computer, or just use it with your phone running BIAS or guitar rig and have your fave custom tones on hand anywhere you go. The device is powered BY THE PHONE so no additional power cables are needed. It's just an amazingly flexible and handy device that replaces rooms full of hardware. Not saying that there is not place for rooms full of hardware. But if you have a limited amount of space on your next gig/tour, this could more than make you happy.

Todd

QUOTE (Mertay @ Dec 14 2017, 08:21 AM) *
I do see interesting solutons similar to this for those who want more switches for their small modellers, like the boss gt-1 or zoom g3n. Its also been a while now since people started using phones on stage, not sure if the market is for the general public but nice to see some innovation is going on.

I remember digitech rp20 (90's) had a tube in it, other brands also used tubes but it was to smooth the output similar to using a preamp between the computer and processor.

Nice today they make mini-modern tubes, it might not be too long before we see real tube processors hitting the market.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd September 2018 - 05:31 PM