Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Haken - 1985, Backing track and practice thread
Caelumamittendum
post Dec 16 2017, 10:10 AM
Post #1

Learning Rock Star

Group: Members
Member No.: 5.298

So me and my drummer decided to practice a track by Haken called "1985". The first time we were in our rehearsal room we hadn't prepared anything and it was all a bit of a mess trying to come up with something, so now we have decided to practice this song.

However, given that the song is largely keyboard driven, I decided to go ahead and make a backing track from a very nice tab of the song. I still had to fix some things of course to make it work, but in the end I think I got something decent down that can work as a backing track for me and the drummer to play along to. I probably still need to redo the vocals at some point, they were more difficult to get right than I thought they would be.

I also recorded the second guitar, as I can't play two guitars at once. See the tab for reference laugh.gif

I wanted to share the backing track with you guys. There's a count in which is in 7/4, as is the intro riff. Here's both a tab for 7 string guitar (the original is on 8 string) and the backing track:

Attached File  1985_for_7_string.gp5 ( 143.14K ) Number of downloads: 177

Attached File  1985_backing_no_guitar.mp3 ( 17.08MB ) Number of downloads: 21

I'm thinking I'll keep updating this thread with the progress of learning the whole song, hopefully in the end bringing a video from the rehearsal room with me and the drummer playing the song.

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Dec 16 2017, 05:04 PM

--------------------
Check my "student mentoring" program out HERE!

...and my Challenge Series HERE!

Also, here's a song of mine:

https://soundcloud.com/benjamin-storm-linnebjerg/storm-linnebjerg-demons

And subscribe to my Youtube Channel and Instagram here! and here!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Dec 16 2017, 08:24 PM
Post #2

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

This is flat out impressive dude!!! You do a far more convincing GUITAR PRO than the RINGS OF SATURN guy! This is a challenging bit and I"m sure it will serve you both well as you get know it and each other through it. Like I said before though, don't stress over it! Just enjoy learning it and take your time. Keep up updated!

Todd

--------------------

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
post Dec 16 2017, 09:37 PM
Post #3

Learning Rock Star

Group: Members
Member No.: 5.298

Thanks, Todd. All I did was take the tab, edit some things in it, export the midi and import it in Reaper, then choose some instruments for it etc. So the hard work is ahead now learning and playing the complete song smile.gif

--------------------
Check my "student mentoring" program out HERE!

...and my Challenge Series HERE!

Also, here's a song of mine:

https://soundcloud.com/benjamin-storm-linnebjerg/storm-linnebjerg-demons

And subscribe to my Youtube Channel and Instagram here! and here!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Dec 17 2017, 06:52 PM
Post #4

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

Gotcha. Great way to do it imho! All the parts are there. Just replace tracks as you learn.

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Dec 16 2017, 04:37 PM) *
Thanks, Todd. All I did was take the tab, edit some things in it, export the midi and import it in Reaper, then choose some instruments for it etc. So the hard work is ahead now learning and playing the complete song smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd January 2018 - 05:47 AM