Vibrato On Bent Notes
PosterBoy
Dec 18 2017, 02:17 PM
Learning Roadie
Any good practice techniques?

Phil inspired me to give the Phil Collen lesson a go and all is good apart from adding vibrato to the bent notes, I suck very badly at it!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 18 2017, 02:38 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
It is very tricky mate, Gab gave me this to watch, it covers it in there wink.gif Practise makes perfect as they say, it is one of the hardest things for me to do and in that Collen lesson, I don't seem to get time to add the vibrato, I guess the more familiar with the piece we become the easier it gets adding things in like vibrato.

There's a lot more going on in that lesson than it first seems wink.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNDyI5b3Fh8

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Dec 18 2017, 09:21 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
Don't over think it. The same mechanics used to bend and release are essentially what's used to create the vibrato. It's just a repetition of the same motion. Rotating the forearm back and forth, which is basically the same motion you would use to turn or jiggle a doorknob. Start by bending and releasing slowly while paying attention that you are reaching the correct pitch and gradually increase the speed in which you do this. As you increase the speed in which you bend and release, it ends up being a kind of shaking motion. Relax and try not to grip too hard and only as hard as you need to.

Edit: Another thing I should mention is that on the release part of the vibrato it is not necessary to release all the way back to the pitch of the fretted note but most commonly a microtone below the note you are trying to emphasize and create the vibrato on. This can vary depending on how wide you want the vibrato to sound so some experimentation is encouraged here as there are many variations that can be achieved regarding the depth and speed of the vibrato.

Perhaps the most common position to practice this is the first position of the pentatonic scale on the B string picking the second note of the scale on the B string while fretting with your ring finger and bending it up to the root and vibrate. Check out the opening lick of the song "Since I been loving you" by Zeppelin played on the C minor penta. Lovely! wub.gif
Like any technique, it's just going to take some practice and repetition. Hope this helps, and rock on!

This post has been edited by AK Rich: Dec 19 2017, 06:01 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:31 PM