> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Closed TopicStart new topic
> Basic Rock Guitar: Bending & Vibrato, Lesson By Guido Bungenstock
Grade
1-10
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
5 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
6 [ 2 ] ** [66.67%]
7 [ 1 ] ** [33.33%]
8 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
9 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 3

mhskeide
post Feb 11 2018, 12:58 AM
Post #1

Experienced Tone Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 5.482

Original lesson: Basic Rock Guitar: Bending & Vibrato by Guido Bungenstock

I had a perfect first take...until I switched pickups in the end and realized my neck pup was turned off, lol! So I guess this is what I was capable of tonight. Really struggling with the Jimi-bend, but I think this one made it.

--------------------
"Some epic qoute" - Epic dude
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Feb 11 2018, 08:59 PM
Post #2

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.289

Hey mate,

Your work on this lesson is great! I was watching with attention trying to detect problems and honestly I only find very little details regarding pitch here and there, but nothing serious.

Your playing is consistent along the whole take but I can hear that some bends are not totally precise or smooth enough. This lesson includes many different type of bends so it's a great workout for that. The more you practice this one, the more familiar you'll be with those bends.

In some moments I feel that your guitar has tuning issues, or maybe the pitch issues appear because of too much pressure in some parts. Check this out and find out what's happening.

The use of tremolo also needs some adjustment. It doesn't sound natural with the note as it happens with vibrato, you tend to make the note sound out of pitch at first and then it's fixed. Take care of it.

Regarding your tone, I feel that it's lacking some ambience. I would try a short delay or reverb to make it fit more with the backing track. It's too wet for me.

Besides this, I think that there are not more things to fix. I feel that you'll feel more comfortable with the phrases with some more days of practice and you'll be able to play the whole thing more relaxed and with more feeling.

But this obviously passes here. Great job!!

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Feb 11 2018, 09:06 PM

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
post Feb 12 2018, 09:04 AM
Post #3

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

Member No.: 2

Nice!

Overall this is pretty cool. The slight bending problems prevent this take from being truly enjoyable but you are pretty close.

In addition to Gabs feedback - I would also like to say that your right hand is playing a bit too softly, it almost seems a bit shy. Check out how Guido attacks the strings with rakes and aggressive right hand movements- that stuff helps give great tone for melodies.

You get a 6 from me. Keep up the good work!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
post Feb 12 2018, 03:41 PM
Post #4

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 17.069

Hey there! Let's start from the bad things because there's generally one but serious. PITCH.

Watching your hands position and shaping I'm almost 100% sure it's an instrument fault. More precisely - the tremolo bridge. It seems to have not enough pressure on the springs side so it's "zero point" is not solid enough - spring do not pull strong enough to precisely move to bridge to it's default position. It's especially visible when you use very shallow "pitch down" whammy bar move. The saddest thing about the pitch is that overall pitch quality in playing makes a huge difference between amateurs and pros. One the biggest besides the skills themselfs. For a regular listener there is no difference between someone who "does not tune well" because of too much pressure, sloppy fingering, poor tuning job.....or the pitch issues caused by the instrument. With my eyes closed, it could clearly say that the take sounds out of tune. You seems to care for the details so don't let your instrument destroy your take. Get it to a good guitar-tech if you are afraid to adjust by yourself. Floyd is something quite hard to help to adjust remotely. Sometimes it's a matter of "quarter of rotation" on the springs screw. In other cases...the number of springs, their types or straight vs triangle layout. It's better to let someone more experienced do it.

There are some moments when it sounds like there are two guitars tracks - ambient and "direct recording". One seems to be sort of cut by a noise gate while the other one sustains in the background. Try to fix things like this at the recording stage.

Now the good things.

Your hands positioning looks very good. You also look quite calm and relaxed while playing. Your right hand does a descent job with unwanted strings muting. I'm sure it all goes even better without Rec button being pressed smile.gif You have no serious technical defects so focus to make things sound as much in tune as possible at you'll hear your take will get like 50% to it's performance smile.gif Well done

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
post Feb 13 2018, 04:46 PM
Post #5

Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 3.338

Pass: 6.3

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2018 - 10:43 PM