Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Stretch/reach & Pinky Power (hammer Ons), Quick Licks #15 Working your Streeeeettch, your Pinky using Hammer Ons
Todd Simpson
post Feb 17 2018, 11:38 PM
Post #1

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

QUICK LICKS #15 (Hammer On as the path to Pinky Power and Reach)

INTRO:
This is a HAMMER ON drill. It's Very simple. It's just 3 notes. The same shape repeats on every string. Not a lot to memorize. It's a very simple lick and is easy to play. The catch, is that you need to be able to hit the last note with your pinky and you will have to work on your stretch/reach in order to play it correctly. Feel free to play "Thumbless" (E.G. take your thumb off of the back of the neck) if you want, it may help. Also be sure to do some warm up stretches before and after. If your pinky is a weak spot, this lick is for you! Don't worry, almost everyone struggles with the pinky. It's the weakest finger on the hand and it's often neglected in practice in favor of the third finger. DON"T PLAY THIS LICK USING THE THIRD FINGER smile.gif Use your first finger and your pinky, simple as that.

Here is the tablature.Try to PICK THE OPEN STRING ONLY and HAMMER ON THE OTHER TWO NOTES and PALM MUTE EVERYTHING. Seems simple enough eh? Just three notes per string. Play each string once and go up one string and play the patter again. Rinse, repeat and play the pattern descending as well. This will work up your reach, your pinky, and your stamina as well as work on your timing and hand synch. A very simple drill that works a LOT of things in one go.

Attached Image

Attached File  _15.gp5 ( 2.06K ) Number of downloads: 17

BACKGROUND / COMMENTS
This lick is one of my fave drills for working on your finger power, pinky power, reach and muting. Because this drill uses every single string going up and down, it will force your hand to find a good mute position. Keep a strong mute so that each note is discreet and doesn't ring and bleed into the other notes. It will sound like you are picking them all if you do it right, when in fact, you are only picking every third note.

BTW:
This is just a starting point, Once you play the lick as written at least once, feel free to modify it and do your own thing with it! Pick more/less, change the distance between fingers, try it at different points on the neck etc. Add this drill to your daily practice routine. Future you will thank you for it smile.gif

GIVE EM HELL!

Todd

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Feb 18 2018, 03:39 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
post Feb 17 2018, 11:49 PM
Post #2

Learning Rock Star

Group: Members
Member No.: 5.298

Bonus of a further stretch.

--------------------
For some prog metal made by yours truly, check out:

https://soundcloud.com/benjamin-storm-linnebjerg/storm-linnebjerg-a-celestial-voyage-full-demo

And subscribe to my Youtube Channel and Instagram here! and here!
...and my Twitch:HERE!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Feb 18 2018, 04:29 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

Now THAT is what I'm talking about!!! Knocked out the lick, then went for it and took a crazy stretch and made it insane. On top of that, played it on a 7 string guitar!! In case you are wondering folks, it gets tough trying to pull that off on the low B due to how tall the neck is on a 7. Then he addded a fret to the stretch. Not to mention didn't break a sweat. Nice!!!

I must say I'm impressed. Not only is the tone good, everything about the playing is good. The technique is spot on, timing is good, and pinky control is top not notch. Muting is solid and then adding the 7th string and extra fret is just icing on
the cake. Not to mention the take was up before I managed to even post my video demonstration. Score!!

On a side note, NICE IBBY!!! I'm very glad that you decided to keep her! She is a rare beauty. Some guitars are
worth keeping for a lifetme, then worth being buried with to keep in the afterlife. smile.gif

In other words, you just..

LEVELED UP!!! Also, you keep the Star Of Honor as one of our few who have done every single Quick Lick. Nice!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Feb 17 2018, 06:49 PM) *

Bonus of a further stretch.

+Quote Post
George Hlio
post Feb 26 2018, 06:46 PM
Post #4

Experienced Roadie

Member No.: 21.651

Inspired by Cael I tried to stretch one more fret to in my 7 string!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Feb 27 2018, 02:47 AM
Post #5

Group Icon

NICE!! Look at him go!! Very low gain, plenty of stretch!!! Not only did he play the bit, but he went the extra mile and put another fret on it for good measure!! Two folks so far doing the mega stretch! This is a high bar to match. You display a very good grasp of what I was asking for here. Also, very good technique in execution. Good hand synch, timing, muting, striking, etc. Very well played and and super well done on the mega stretch. In other words, you just ..

LEVELED UP!!!!!
Attached Image
Todd

QUOTE (George Hlio @ Feb 26 2018, 01:46 PM) *
Inspired by Cael I tried to stretch one more fret to in my 7 string!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Feb 27 2018, 02:49 AM

+Quote Post
George Hlio
post Feb 27 2018, 07:01 AM
Post #6

Experienced Roadie

Member No.: 21.651

Thanks Sarge! Those mega stretches are important I think for the otherwise mostly ignored pinky!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Mar 3 2018, 06:14 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

Agreed! smile.gif The PINKY gets short shrift imho and it is often neglected. With a bit of work it greatly expand a players musical vocabulary!

Todd

QUOTE (George Hlio @ Feb 27 2018, 02:01 AM) *
Thanks Sarge! Those mega stretches are important I think for the otherwise mostly ignored pinky!

+Quote Post
onetabmat
post Aug 15 2018, 12:46 PM
Post #8

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 23.212

Lick 15

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Aug 16 2018, 02:26 AM
Post #9

Group Icon

NICE!!! You've got great reach on this one and are just KILLING IT!!! You've got this one down cold. It's all about the single strike and then using a wide stretch and hammering on with the pinky. It's the hammering on with the pinky that makes it impossible for many people to play. Also, the stretch knocks many folks out. You have no problem with the stretch and no problem with the pinky hammer on!! Well done!!
I'm starting to notice a pattern as you go through these. It seems that you have great hand strength, great picking, great muting, great over all technique. Any of the licks that are linear, symmetrical, (same pattern on each string) etc. You KRUSH them like a pro. It's on the ones that are a not symmetrical where thinks start to get sticky. On those, I'd say go note by note. Forget about speed. Just play one note at a time, slow and steady. Speed will happen with repetition. Many of these licks are not designed to be played fast. So don't feel you have to shred them. But this one you KILLED!!!! SCORE!!!In other words you just..

LEVELED UP!!!!
Attached Image

QUOTE (onetabmat @ Aug 15 2018, 07:46 AM) *
Lick 15

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 16 2018, 02:27 AM

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Aug 31 2018, 08:45 PM
Post #10

Learning Apprentice Player

Member No.: 19.975

Hello Todd,

Here is my Take 1 and I tried the Cael stretch too wink.gif

https://youtu.be/khv6PETrvp0

--------------------
MY CURRENT REVISION FOLDER

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Aug 31 2018, 09:32 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

NICELY DONE!!! This one is all about working that STREEEEEEETCH!! It forces the PINKY to do a lot of work and stick the landing very quickly as the lick never stops (Per usual). You tore through it like a hot knife though butter! Keep working on your stretch in order to get more reach. I know it may feel impossible but it's just a matter of time and stretching. I don't have long fingers so I had to stretch until I got my reach where I wanted it to be. Here is the stretch vid from our vid chat days.

Doing these every day will allow you to gain greater reach!

As for this this one, you got it!!!!! You are ready for the next one. You just..
LEVELED UP!!!!!!
Attached Image

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 31 2018, 03:45 PM) *
Hello Todd,

Here is my Take 1 and I tried the Cael stretch too wink.gif

https://youtu.be/khv6PETrvp0

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Aug 31 2018, 10:30 PM
Post #12

Learning Apprentice Player

Member No.: 19.975

Thanks Todd,

Do you want me to do another take? I noticed my first take is a fret short and my "CAEL" take is the lick you display.

Cheers

Phil

--------------------
MY CURRENT REVISION FOLDER

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Sep 1 2018, 02:50 AM
Post #13

Group Icon

I"m happy with this one!!! You have this lick well in hand. You are ready to move on!
Todd
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 31 2018, 05:30 PM) *
Thanks Todd,

Do you want me to do another take? I noticed my first take is a fret short and my "CAEL" take is the lick you display.

Cheers

Phil

+Quote Post
Adam
post Oct 5 2019, 11:25 PM
Post #14

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 23.329

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Oct 6 2019, 02:40 AM
Post #15

Group Icon

NICE!!! This one requires a CRAZY stretch and that you have PINKY POWER!!! You have earned every inch of your fingers power in BOOTCAMP and are putting it all to great use here in QUICK LICKS!!! This is one that some folks would find really hard if they had not worked up some serious finger power. Super congrats! You got this.
You Just....
LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image

Todd
Quick Tone
Are you using your distortion pedal on this one? It sounds overdriven, but with a lick like this, having a bit more distortion/gain can help. I'm not suggesting you bury it in a pile of noise and gain, just that distortion adds some compression and sustain that helps to compliment one's playing. Also, I want to make sure that you are not over muting. If you do have a lot of distortion on the signal, and it's still getting cut off like that at the end of every note, then you may be muting to hard. Just for reference, play a bit of power chord riffing on your next video and some open non muted power chords just so I can hear how much gain is on the signal itself.
QUOTE (Adam @ Oct 5 2019, 06:25 PM) *

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th October 2019 - 05:16 PM